Need a Phaser and Chorus pedal. Suggestions please!

What's Hot

Comments

• Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 977
    edited July 2017
    I see no one has recommended the EHX Bad Stone. I currently use one. And I wouldn't recommend it either - I am going to replace it as soon as finance allows. For that matter I currently use a BOSS CE 3 - and I am not in love with that either.   

(Edit - I should say the EHX does sound good - its just pops LOUD every time its engaged and it isn't super reliable either) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    For Chorus it's gotta be a Roland JC amp, lovely.

Phaser, MXR Phase 90 Script - I don't own one personally (all my FX are Boss) but a mate brought his round t'other day, bloody awesome it was!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I see no one has recommended the EHX Bad Stone. I currently use one. And I wouldn't recommend it either - I am going to replace it as soon as finance allows. For that matter I currently use a BOSS CE 3 - and I am not in love with that either.   

(Edit - I should say the EHX does sound good - its just pops LOUD every time its engaged and it isn't super reliable either) 
    I've heard that's an ehx thing, something to do with static build up on the switch.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • I see no one has recommended the EHX Bad Stone. I currently use one. And I wouldn't recommend it either - I am going to replace it as soon as finance allows. For that matter I currently use a BOSS CE 3 - and I am not in love with that either.   

I've heard that's an ehx thing, something to do with static build up on the switch.
    its a thing. Certainly in my experience. 

I own a few EHX pedals and have gigged with the following regularly - the freeze, the ravish, the bad stone and the holy grail - I have to say that all sound great and/or do different or unique stuff, but without exception they are unpredictable. The Bad Stone pops LOUD, the Freeze foot switch seems to stick/not work at random, the ravish 'stuck' on settings and wouldn't change to presets in accordance with the manual and in fairness the holy grail been a reasonably ok.

I dont want to bash EHX - I bought the pedals as I like the unique sounds they produce, but in comparison to the other pedal manufactures on my board (BOSS, Ibanez, Exotic, MXR, Roland) the EHX's just don's compete in terms of consistency and reliability.  
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801

Not an EHX thing. Loads of true bass pedals do it. They don't pull to ground correctly. I'm sure one of electronics experts can explain properly.

Any pedal that does it gets returned if bought new. Not fit for purpose in my book. Hence my current love affair with Boss.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Boss ph1r for phaser. 

Visual sound h2o is a brilliant chorus pedal (v2 or v3). 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Boss ph1r for phaser. 

Visual sound h2o is a brilliant chorus pedal (v2 or v3). 
    Oooh yeah +1 on the VS h20. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    TonyR said:
    For Chorus it's gotta be a Roland JC amp, lovely.

Phaser, MXR Phase 90 Script - I don't own one personally (all my FX are Boss) but a mate brought his round t'other day, bloody awesome it was!
    The PH-1R will nail the sound of the Phase 90 exactly - I had both at the same time. (An original Phase 90, not new one.) You could set them up together so they were indistinguishable except for the distortion when playing hard with the MXR. So I sold the MXR - since it was in mint condition and actually too pristine to use.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• The Tortuga Martini gets my vote in the chorus department.

department. https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Tortuga_Effects_Martini_Dual_Analog_Chorus_and_Vibrato_Pedal_Review

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    PH1r is a great pedal, so many sounds to be had out of it. Love it with a slow rate and resonance down low.
  • The EQD pedal is really good IMHO it nailed the tame impala sound

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    Strymon Mobius all day!
    It does every mod effect amazingly well and i can't live without mine now!

Other than that i'd probably go second hand -
    Chorus - Boss CE2 or CE3
    Phaser - MXR Phase 90
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 141
    I'm really digging the Red Witch Empress chorus. I mostly use it for more subtle chorus, but Andy Summers used it on the Police re-union tour so it can do the over the top 80's thing too.

I like the Analogman Bi-Chorus too - the ability to switch between two sounds is very cool. It's voiced a little darker than the Red Witch and a bit 'chewier' if that makes sense, so it comes down to taste.

if you're just after something that nails the generic 80's chorus then the BOSS CE-2w waza is the one. The FreeTheTone Chorus sounds great too and has multiple presets. 

Phasers - I've gone through a few but have ended up with the small MXR Phase95. It takes up less Board space and nails a wider range of their classic sounds than their larger phasers. As with the chorus it depends on wether you want the classic phaser sounds that most people associate with that effect (MXR phase 90 and Phase 45 etc), or if you want something more unusual (Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser etc).

The Mooer Ninety Orange is meant to be pretty close to the MXR, as already mentioned in this thread. The Strymon Möbius is also excellent and covers a lot of ground if you're happy to spend a bit more and don't mind going digital. I personally don't enjoy programming sounds in a menu system as I like to tweak things during sound check etc, but it works very well for most people and saves a lot of space on your board. You can only use one modulation effect at a time with the Möbius though, so bear that in mind. The level of tweaking and range of sounds is impressive however. 

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    ICBM said:

The PH-1R will nail the sound of the Phase 90 exactly - I had both at the same time. (An original Phase 90, not new one.) You could set them up together so they were indistinguishable except for the distortion when playing hard with the MXR. So I sold the MXR
    What to you mean by this @ICBM ? Which sounded better with distortion?  I'm asking because I have the (new custom shop) MXR script and I'd like it "wetter" when going all Van Halen.

I'm using it right, before drive, and I can hear the effect, but it's not very pronounced, I'd prefer more of it in the sound.  I can't find a way of getting it up to the levels of phase on that first album.

Are you saying the Boss was better, could "phase more" with distortion? 
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    ^ Some phasers, the Phase 90 being one of them, suffer from distortion (an unmusical, gritty, signal break-up) when you play hard/have high-output pickups because (IIRC) they don't lower the input signal enough before it goes through the four phase-shift stage op amps. The PH-1 was much the same. However, Boss altered the circuit on the -1r so that the input was attenuated enough for the op amps not to distort, then boosted it back to unity afterwards.

Some time ago I built a DIY eight-stage phaser based on the Phase 90 and with those extra stages the distortion is much more apparent, so I'm guessing that each phase-shift stage adds a little more distortion. I'm going to have to modify it so that like the PH-1r, the input is reduced enough to stop or reduce the distortion, the boost back to unity at the end.

I don't like my effects to distort unless they're supposed to!

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • I just got a digitech hardwire phaser and very happy with it. Currently less than half price from gear4music
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    Have a look at the MXR Univibe. Ok it's not a phaser and chorus but gives you two sounds, a chorus and a phase-y sounding univibe.  

For me best phasers are the PH-1R (lives on my board) and the Phase 90.  You can pick up them up used for a good price. For chorus the Ibanez CS-9 is very good.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I have a EHX Small Stone big box model which I love to bits...it really nails Pink Floyd, Trower/Hendrix Vibe with gain, Islley brothers, it's not as throbby as a Vibe and sits anywhere in the chain.