How's this work?

Okay, I'm primarily electric but do like a bit of acoustic. I've got a Crafter GA-7 that punches far, far above it's weight and whilst it has it's limitations I'm quite happy with it. I much prefer 24 3/4" scale on an acoustic, so with the 25 1/2"Crafter, strung with 12s I tune down to D standard. It also sounds better for it IMHO.

Now the other day a student had his new acoustic, a Fender Bucket thing which tbh I did not hold out much hope for. I was totally shocked, not only did it sound quite nice, it played like an absolute fucking dream. Which was extremely surprising for me as it was tuned to standard, with 12s in a 25 1/2" scale length.

What makes this happen? I totally get the variables on electric but acoustics are the realm of witchcraft.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• "Variables" on an acoustic are far greater than on an electric due to the fact that it is acoustic ie no electricary and simpler so nothing gets in the way
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited February 2014
    Quality of set up (correct relief, nut and saddle heights, etc). Higher frets can make a guitar feel 'slicker', as does a better (ie more smoothly) finished fingerboard. Given the higher string tension - due to heavier string gauges on acoustics - the nut in particular can make a massive difference.

If you pick a comparable Taylor and a Martin off the wall in a music shop, you can guarantee the Taylor will play more easily, even if they have the same scale length and gauge of strings. Taylor have really mastered mass-producing highly playable acoustics.

In fairness, Martin set their guitars up more for 'volume' that playability.