Wanted Dead or Alive intro

BensonBenson Frets: 242
So new covers band wants to do the above and although I've always known the main chords and the solo I never got around to properly learning the 12 string acoustic intro. Had a quick look on YouTube and saw a gazillion people covering it, including many live performances by BJ and Sambora and it strikes me that nobody, not even Sambora, plays the intro as per the record. Everyone seems to play an easier version starting at the 12th fret but my ears are telling me the first (and second for that matter) parts of the intro (not the D pedal tone) are higher, starting on the 17th fret of the high e. I presume Sambora is too tipsy to play the slightly more fiddly version but you'd think an army of cover bands could get it right :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Just did my rendition ...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    THts just the chromatic run part -the second part seems easy but the timing is actually quite deceptive
    Are you going to stay on acoustic all the song with somebody else on electric ?
    It's one of those few times when a Taylor T5 is the ideal tool for the job
    I always found it worked best with a keyboard player thickening up the song too 
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Yep, starting 13th and 14th is how I learnt it...

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I'm fairly sure that either Justin Sandercoe or Marty Shwartz did a lesson on this a few years ago.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • BensonBenson Frets: 242
    I've just dusted off my 12 string acoustic and the common way of playing it sounds right. However, play the same part on a six string and it doesn't to my ears. I think I've answered my own question, most people including Sambora, don't play it with a 12 string rather a six string. Regarding how to manage the 12 string, 6 string and electric aspect of a live performance that's why God invented the Variax :)