NGDx2......and the wait is over.

What's Hot
ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
edited April 2018 in Guitar
This weekend I've done something I never thought I would do.

No, not that.

Or that. Stop sniggering at the back.

Little bit of back story. Last year I quit my job with only a vague idea of a plan. To ensure we had enough money to fall back on I sold all of my bikes and all but one guitar - an old Chinese Burny 335. Mainly because that one didn't sell. Two days after leaving a competing brand contacted me and asked if I would do a similar role, as a contractor. This gave numerous benefits - the most important being more time with my family. Almost a year later and, touch wood, things are moving along. I've been raiding the classifieds building up a nice little collection of guitars and amps and have a couple of bikes back in the garage. 

I'm still an average-on-a-good-day guitarist (more on that later), but now have some nice guitars. I've worked up from £400-£500 level to buying some guitars I've always wanted. The latest, a Les Paul from Photek has rekindled my love for this style of guitar. I decided to save up and get an R9, and have always wanted a Slash sig (as he is the reason I picked up a guitar in the first place). I was moving towards an R9 when @RiftAmps posted his "NGD - Burst" thread. The guitar featured literally stopped me in my tracks. I'm not the most knowledgable on Bursts, but the Rift Burst is a stunning instrument. And the detail of the thread intrigued me. And then Anthony aka @flyfisher12 posted his contact details.

I took a deep breath and went and had a word with myself. Whilst I've had guitars for a long time I wasn't sure I was knowledgable enough or frankly good enough to approach a builder of that calibre. But the fact that the Rift Burst is so stand out, and that a commission build means payment in stages played very positively in my mental discussions. 

So I thought I'd at least ask a question, and tentatively typed an email to Anthony. 

I need not have worried. What a nice guy. The response was quick, and the emails quickly became conversational. I was even more apprehensive as my enquiry was to ask this incredibly talented craftsman to build a replica of a replica. I mentioned earlier that I would one day like a Slash sig. Whatever you may think of the curly haired one, in 1987 the 15 year old me was absolutely awestruck with the melodic intro to Sweet Child O Mine. Instantly I knew I wanted to play guitar, I wanted a Les Paul and I wanted a top hat.

I never did buy the top hat.

The guitar in question, wielded by Mr Hudson himself, was of course the Derrig replica. But I actually prefer the second Derrig that Slash owned, with slightly more colour in the top. So I asked Anthony if it would be possible to build a Les Paul very much inspired by one of the most famous fakes out there. And the response was a resounding yes. We swapped a few pictures back and forth, and Anthony did some research into the Derrig's and Slash's Baranet too. We arrived at a spec.

I can't tell you how excited I am about the prospect of a hand built guitar by such a talented builder that is inspired by and based on one of my all time favourite instruments.

Expected delivery is some point November/December. 

Now, the keen-eyed amongst you will have the title of the thread is NGDx2. Commissioning one guitar is indulgent, so two would be crazy, right? Well, I've been working pretty hard. And as I mentioned earlier, staged payments help. Whilst chatting back and forth over email I mentioned to Anthony that I loved blacktops, and one day hoped to get one. He said he had always wanted to have a go at one as a project, and that was the spark. We swapped further emails about the Blackburst featured in the beauty of the burst, and the fact that Anthony had a top he thought would be perfect for the project. Game on.

So. Deposits are in and as of tomorrow I'm on the build list I hope. The second Ryder should be due in Jan. I'm not at all blessed with patience, but the stages to get to these guitars are exciting enough to keep my natural impatience at bay. 

I'm planning to update this thread with each stage so if anyone else is interested in the process then they can get an insight. Unless no-one is interested of course!!

Next step with regards to the guitars is to meet up with Anthony to discuss fingerboards and some more details. I'll share the build specs on the thread once the builds are complete.

The next step for me begins on the 24th. I mentioned that I'm an average-on-a-good-day player. Well this is the motivation to sort that out. I've booked some lessons to have my playing ripped apart and then built up. I want to be able to do Anthony's craftsmanship justice so am now focused on ditching my lazy, half-assed approach and building my skills properly. So hard work ahead - but am sure it will be worth it.

In the meantime - thanks to Chris for sharing the Rift Burst. I'd never have had the balls to make contact and begin the process without being utterly awestruck.

Roll on the end of the year!!
0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Now that's how you gas, well done mate, I hope the time goes as fast as possible. Can't wait to see them 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    underdog said:
    Now that's how you gas, well done mate, I hope the time goes as fast as possible. Can't wait to see them 
    You and me both! Thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    This has all the ingredients to become the longest and most interesting NGD thread in a while!
    looking forward to the pictures, in a few months...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Excellent news!

The quality of the guitars that @flyfisher12 makes is up there with the very, very best. I've had to tweak the setup ever so slightly and dial in the pickup height but that's it. The fundamental tone of the guitar is A+++++.

This is actually the second LP that I've had made, the other being my single P90 Goldtop. It's interesting to compare how the two luthiers approach the same design. The top carves are different, but neither is better than the other, just a different interpretation of how it should be done.

If you come down to see Anthony, give me a shout and you can pop in and try mine out also. I'm now only 5 minuntes up the road.

Also, what page in BotB is the Blackburst that you're referencing?
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

RiftAmps said:
    Excellent news!

The quality of the guitars that @flyfisher12 makes is up there with the very, very best. I've had to tweak the setup ever so slightly and dial in the pickup height but that's it. The fundamental tone of the guitar is A+++++.

This is actually the second LP that I've had made, the other being my single P90 Goldtop. It's interesting to compare how the two luthiers approach the same design. The top carves are different, but neither is better than the other, just a different interpretation of how it should be done.

If you come down to see Anthony, give me a shout and you can pop in and try mine out also. I'm now only 5 minuntes up the road.

Also, what page in BotB is the Blackburst that you're referencing?
    Will definitely pop in! Be warned, my playing is terrible though...

My BOTB book is at work. It's in the 1960 section, on a right hand page on it's own...
  • Well looking forward to getting a start on those two guitars. Hope the lester is working out well at Rift Amplification....
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Congrats. There really is nothing quite like having a guitar custom built for you.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I'm all over that subscribe button like a black suit on a Blues Brother!

Really wish I was in a position to do this. Maybe next year! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    I'm all over that subscribe button like a black suit on a Blues Brother!

Really wish I was in a position to do this. Maybe next year! 
    Have been very lucky and worked hard to be able to do it - never thought I'd be able to. Looking forward to the next step!
    Yesterday was a hugely exciting day in the process - the next step along the way. It also had the potential to be massively intimidating. I've never commissioned a guitar build - let alone two. I'm not that brilliant a guitarist. I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable on these pages. The opportunity to look a complete numpty was looking very high...

Yesterday I went to meet Ant for the first time to discuss my builds. We wanted to have an introductory chat, and then choose fingerboards, look at tops and then start to think about neck profiles.

Meeting Ant was fantastic - really welcoming and a great guy to chat to. And he answered the door with the most stunning half-completed burst in his hand - instantly making me drool!

We chatted a bit about the guitars and then started looking at fretboards. I chose a matched pair - so the two guitars will have perfectly matched board.

Then is was out to see my guitars.

And here they are!

On the left is the Black burst, and on the right is the Derrig-inspired guitar. Am pretty damn excited about them. Why? Well, this is what Ant was waving around whilst chatting

I couldn't stop looking at it. Checking the flame at different angles. The detail and beauty in it. I did ask, but this one is definitely sold. Was worth a try...

Ant also let me play his son's guitar, a build from a couple of years ago. This didn't help my growing impatience much!! 

I waffled on for ages, and it was fantastic to talk to such a passionate craftsman. Whilst I am the most naturally impatient individual on the planet I know that no matter how long this process takes, the guitars will be truly worth it. 

Oh, and I seemed to have reserved one additional matching fingerboard as some how the conversation got on to Gold tops.

The next instalment will come when it is time to build up the necks and work on a bespoke carve to fit my mitts. In the meantime, enjoy the pics!
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Oooh, very nice indeed.  :)
    Lots of travel means I haven't update this for a while but Mr Ryder has been exceptionally busy. After selecting the tops, he set about matching them to some bodies and not long afterwards I got a picture of this....what we are refering to as the AFD guitar.

The next update followed a few days later to say the top was glued on...and then carving started!

And routing happened. And holes. Excitement levels were hitting the rev limited - even though there is a long way to go yet!

At this point we started debating fingerboard woods. Originally I wanted Brazilian, but it looks like Madagascan is going to be a better option. And a whole lot less grief if I take one on holiday...

More hard work by Ant led to a fully carved top...

Holy smokes and flame Batfriends!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then - there were two! Bodies pretty much done, and binding on. Excitement levels now bordering on ridiculous!

Anthony has now started on the necks. Just when I thought it couldn't get much better....I got a message to say the pickups had arrived! We'd agreed early in the discussion that both guitars would sport OX4s, which are my favourite buckers by far. The AFD guitar will have double blacks, and the Blackburst will have covered nickels. And work on the first neck has started - slightly hampered by my ridiculous schedule which means I haven't been able to get down to Ant's to talk neck profiles. My R7 will be the guide as I prefer Les Paul's with thick necks...

More updates soon!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Lovely stuff.  I have a set of OX4 pickups in my Burny LP and they are fantastic.  Excellent choice :)
  • Your enthusiasm is infectious, thanks for sharing, and the stellar photos! :)
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    Great thread and rather inspirational. Like everyone else I'm anticipating the end results. In the meantime I feel a little tempted to knock on @flyfisher12's door!...
    So, it has been a while. Work has been mentally busy - which is awesome - but it meant I haven't been down to visit @flyfisher12 and see his handiwork in person. It also meant I had to give him neck measurements from my R7 when I would have preferred to have taken the guitar down to act as a guide for the neck shape I love.

However, I have huge faith in Ant's skills and let him crack on. Whilst working in Spain recently I received this highly motivating shot of my two guitars....

I know, right?! Both guitars...looking like guitars. 

I shot down to Banbury to get my hands on them asap. And all I can say is wow. Oh, and we had a bit of a change of plan. Guitar 1, known as the AFD guitar is going to be an absolute rock monster. Fat, but flattish neck combined with a heavier body and open coil OX4 hot winds mean this will be a beast.

Guitar 2 - the guitar formerly known as the Blackburst - is just a different thing altogether. It has a fuller neck, slightly lighter feel and it just feels so right. It is sneakily my favourite. And the top has turned out way too nice to consider painting it all black. So this will now have a different finish. 

Both guitars are ahead of schedule so there is hope that we may see finished articles in November. WHICH IS NEXT MONTH!!!!!!!!

Excited? Me? 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited October 2017
    How exciting! Looking great

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^ - looks like excitement levels will be rising even further soon - can't wait to see you pics when completed

as G n R state - some might say 'you're crazy' - and you obviously have plenty of 'patience' waiting for them
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Ahh, but when the Patience has paid off, you'll be in 'Paradise City' playing them.. .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom