New York - Guitar Shops

What's Hot
I'm off to New Yoik with work and will get a day to myself. I'll be near Broadway where the office is. Where should I be heading? The bank balance hasn't been hammered for some time so I'm likely to treat myself to some of America's more pricey pickups and pedals.... But maybe a vintage Gibson Junior of some description....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    edited February 2014
    Where on Broadway? It runs most of the length of Manhattan. 

30th Street Guitars nr. MSG/Penn Station, Ludlow Guitars in the LSE. I wouldn't bother with anything else in Manhattan. 

Main Drag Music in Williamsburg, Brooklyn is also very cool. 

Or get a quick train to Jersey and check out Lark Street Music or Primeaxe Vintage, they have a huge selection of pedals. 

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I was in new york last year and got a chance to check out a couple of stores…there are a lot more than i saw…but these were the ones i went to and really liked.

- West village called Matt Umanov

- East village called Rivington Guitars

also…you should just have a look at guitar centre…it amazes me that in the middle of the city there could be a guitar shop so big and with so much stock! When you think how big this is and that its just part of a chain, you realise how big the american market is.
    Matt Umanov is ridiculously overpriced. 
  • Always worth a pop into a Guitar Center if you find one nearby. Like a PC World, but for guitars! What amazed me was that I just walked in and picked D-28s and J-45s off the wall for a strum. Can't imagine doing that in any shop in this country.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3606
    .... But maybe a vintage Gibson Junior of some description....
    Good luck with it but be very careful about bringing a guitar back from the US.

If the crew won't/or can't store it in their cupboard you will either be buying a flightcase and paying excess baggage on it or buying it a seat.

Not to mention the very good chance of being waylaid at UK customs for the 20% VAT. 

I must admit I have mused on this many times (my middle son lives in the US) but always gave up in the end.
  • Mandolin Brothers, Staten Island. Legendary place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9654
    Neil;164279" said:
    musteatbrain said:

Not to mention the very good chance of being waylaid at UK customs for the 20% VAT. 

I must admit I have mused on this many times (my middle son lives in the US) but always gave up in the end.
    As I understand things, once the guitar is over 6 months old it can imported as 'used' and duty doesn't need to be paid. Get middle son to store said guitar for 6 months then bring it over the pond.

Don't take this as gospel though - it' something I've heard, and others might know different.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Cheers all I'll investigate this list I'll be just by Times Square. I'll have a good think about tax implications in the price of anything I buy
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Mandolin Brothers, Staten Island. Legendary place.
    Totally agree!! Brilliant shop and they're not precious about letting you handle and play the vintage instruments either I was there a few years back and was drooling over various beauty's in the region of $25,000 etc. when the sales assistant came over, and told me I was welcome to try anything in the store, no need to ask, just pick up and play and if i needed an amp to plug into, just shout!. A bit like Dawson's really (Yeah right! :) ).  Seriously, a great place to visit
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • Sadly this is not the case AFAIK. HMRC website suggests new v used makes no difference. You still need to pay.
    HAL9000 said:
    Neil;164279" said:
    musteatbrain said:

As I understand things, once the guitar is over 6 months old it can imported as 'used' and duty doesn't need to be paid. Get middle son to store said guitar for 6 months then bring it over the pond.

Don't take this as gospel though - it' something I've heard, and others might know different.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    edited February 2014
    Ludlow is a must in Manhattan. Matt Umanov was great years ago....i thought it had deteriorated markedly (less choice for more money) when i last went there a couple of years back. I paid the full duty on a new guitar when i got back to heathrow, but they were unbelievably slapdash and frankly i wished i hadn't bothered coughing to it. But i also know a guy at work who went through "nothing to declare" and had the thing impounded. He had to pay some punitive amount to retrieve it.

I've brought about 4 or 5 guitars through nothing to declare. Never had an issue. Gamble though. I suspect hundreds of people do it. 
    Rudy's in Soho is also well worth a visit if you're at all interested in archtops. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9654
    edited February 2014
    Referring back to my earlier post about used goods - this is what I was referring to...

You may be entitled to relief from duty and VAT on your personal belongings if you are moving or returning to the EU, and have owned the goods for at least six months. Otherwise duty and VAT will be assessed based on a fair market value for the goods. 

Not exactly sure what is meant by 'returning' to the EU here. Does it mean returning after being resident abroad, or does it mean returning after a holiday? Anyway it seems you may be able to avoid VAT if you've owned the goods for at least six months.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • chenzmanchenzman Frets: 193
    Rudys and Sam ash are right near Times Square between 7th and 9th avenues and 48th/49th st if my memory serves me well
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    edited February 2014
    Avoid 48th St - not what it was.

Matt Umanovs, Rivington Guitars, Ludlow St Guitars, Rudy's in SoHo, but especially Mandolin Bros on Staten Island.

Never been, but the other Guitar Center (not on 48th St) is supposed to be good (and will ship to UK - though you will have to pay import duty)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3606
    HAL9000 said:
    Referring back to my earlier post about used goods - this is what I was referring to...

You may be entitled to relief from duty and VAT on your personal belongings if you are moving or returning to the EU, and have owned the goods for at least six months. Otherwise duty and VAT will be assessed based on a fair market value for the goods. 

Not exactly sure what is meant by 'returning' to the EU here. Does it mean returning after being resident abroad, or does it mean returning after a holiday? Anyway it seems you may be able to avoid VAT if you've owned the goods for at least six months.
    It means after being resident abroad for over six months, i.e things you may have purchased whilst living there and of course you will need receipts. 

There is no difference whether goods are new or used if you bring them back from a holiday.  

If they are outside your duty free allowance they are liable to VAT and duty unfortunately and guitars unlike smaller items do stand out a bit when you wheel them through Customs. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4998
    edited February 2014
    I believe some people bring back bolt-on neck guitars by dismantling them and packing them in a normal suitcase. But that means buying one without a hard case, or shipping the guitar case back separately. Not that I would advocate trying to avoid duty that you owe, obviously. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I took a guitar abroad with me in a hard case. I just carried out on the aircraft. Entitled to a personal bag and a carry on so took my guitar and my back pack at no extra cost. This was seperate to the checked in baggage.

Flew Virgin though. Not sure about other airlines.