Louder Bass Rig Needed, advice sought

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4978

At the moment I am using a MarkBass MiniMark.  A great amp but its limitations are max volume.  I like the 'sound' of a MarkBass rig but the cost of the items are prohibitive at the moment.  As always!  On an Irish 'items for sale' website the following kit is offered:

http://www.adverts.ie/bass-amps/gallien-krueger-bass-rig/6426652

Looks and reads impressive but what is the opinions of those here who are in the know about these things.  In August I plan to buy a MIM Fender Precision bass.  Would that rig and the P bass give me the same comfy country thump that the MarkBass gives?  My playing style is mainly roots, ascending and descending runs etc., no slap or bass solos.  Think Don Williams, The Eagles, Smokie etc.

Thanks.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    It's a pretty decent amp - not quite like the MarkBass sound but powerful and versatile enough to probably give you what you want.

Have you considered the size and especially the weight though? I suspect there is a reason the seller is looking to trade for a MarkBass :).

If I were you I would hold out for a MarkBass Little Mark head and a 1x12", 1x15" or 2x10" cab. A friend of mine gigs in that type of band/style, he uses the 1x12" for smaller gigs and adds the 1x15" for bigger ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    ICBM said:
    Have you considered the size and especially the weight? 
    Precisely this.

If I recall correctly, the Fender MIM Precision Bass mentioned in the opening post was to mark a landmark birthday. Do you really want to be lugging gear the size of that fight-cased G-K rig? Do you have a vehicle that could accommodate it?

According to their website, the MiniMark combos deliver 150w RMS through the onboard loudspeaker(s), increasing to 250w RMS when an extension cabinet is added. Would that be loud enough? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Good points guys about the weight and thanks for your inputs.  I will look into the possibility of adding an extension speaker to the MiniMark.  As you may already know, the MiniMark is both compact and fairly lightweight.  But stood beside a drummer in full flow, it struggles a bit.  Maybe not as much as I think but I do not like the idea of the volume control set at 10.  (the conservative me thinks this may result in the meltdown of my little amp).
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I think that's unlikely, actually - MarkBass gear seems very reliable. I haven't seen a dead one of any description yet.

Even if you don't want to risk running the amp full up, simply using a larger and more efficient cab as well would probably give you a lot more volume - for this I would definitely go for a 15" cab.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Adding a 15 would be great.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    What 15" speaker cab would be efficient enough to give me a noticeable volume boost. MarkBass have some but they are priced.... Thanks again for your thoughts on this.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Almost any 15" cab will give a big boost over a 2x8", especially if you also near enough double the output power of the amp at the same time by still using the internal speakers.

The trick is to find one that's small and light enough... they tend not to be if also cheap.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    This is a bit spammy but If you're interested, my son is selling his bass rig because he's moving to the States.
    The head is an Ampeg B500 DR -- good condition because it lives in a rack/ case.
    The cab is an Ampeg B410 HLF -- road worn and gigged without being tatty.  Central tweeter disconnected a while back without apparent effect, (cos the tweeter died) but simple to replace although it didn't seem to do anything.
    It's a gig ready rig and can hold its own on any stage.
    There's also a 1x15 in a home made cab which adds awesomeness to the sound -- but not to the portability!
    I'm pretty sure he'd take £500 the lot -- literally just wants to clear it before he goes.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    It's all about shifting air with bass amps to get a louder and bigger sound. I'd recommend a larger/2 cab setup with neo speakers. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Rocker said:
    MarkBass have some but they are pricey.
    Professional kit often is.

I cannot help wondering whether putting your disposable funds towards an extension cab might bring greater improvement to your overall set-up than spending that same sum on your next bass guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom