Gordon Smith GS Singlecut - recent review?

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296

Has anyone had a chance to try a mahogany GS from Gordon Smith recently?

I'm tempted to have a look, make some upgrades on their website and see if they offer a singlecut humbucker + P90.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I can't remember what specific model it was but I picked one up at a shop recently and was amazed at how poor the build quality and fit and finish was. How they managed to achieve this was actually impressive. 

Go and try one first!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491

Has anyone had a chance to try a mahogany GS from Gordon Smith recently?

I'm tempted to have a look, make some upgrades on their website and see if they offer a singlecut humbucker + P90.

Not tried one myself, but Guitar Guitar have one in that spec

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170219307774001--gordon-smith-gs15-single-cut-mahogany-solid-white-satin-hump90
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    I haven't tried one recently but all of the GS guitars that I have tried in the past were really nice.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Rabs said:
    I haven't tried one recently but all of the GS guitars that I have tried in the past were really nice.
    Can't say I've ever played a bad one out of about 6-7. 

However that was 20 years ago. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    rico said:
    I can't remember what specific model it was but I picked one up at a shop recently and was amazed at how poor the build quality and fit and finish was. How they managed to achieve this was actually impressive. 

Go and try one first!
    Agreed. Picked one up in a shop recently and it felt horrid. I had one back in the day so not adverse to them but I thought the news were supposed to be a step up.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    One of the nicest guitars I had was a very early DC Junior type thing, GS-1 Serial number 00014 and if anyone's got it, I'll gladly have it back.
    I also had a GS-1.5 which was also really good.
    Apparently the later ones were a bit hit & miss.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    It's funny how the later  pre move ones were deemed shite, at the time, but since the move, the formerly shite ones, that could be had for a good price, have shot up in price...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    How is the quality of the Auden made GS guitars?
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I've had a look at some recent online pictures of new stock, and whilst the style and idea is super cool, I've noticed a few where the low E is too far into the fretboard and the high E is too close to the edge. Then another showing that the strings are not parallel with the neck.....hmmm.
    Thing I'll check out Reverend instead.
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    OMHO,i think they started to decline very shortly after Gordon left i believe,he was the heart of the company.

• bobliefeldbobliefeld Frets: 425
    They have some in Intasound, Leicester.  They're alright but very basic and very heavy.  

The prices seem great for semi-custom UK made guitars but they're really, really basic.   Intasound also have a bunch of much cheaper Corts and Yamahas which seem a lot better than the GS to me.

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I had one years ago (10?15 years?) - basically bought unseen on the basis of Guitarist always waxing on about how they were the British Gibson etc.

I know people have had good ones, but I didn't! Just very uninspiring

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    I've had a look at some recent online pictures of new stock, and whilst the style and idea is super cool, I've noticed a few where the low E is too far into the fretboard and the high E is too close to the edge. Then another showing that the strings are not parallel with the neck.....hmmm.
    Don't buy a Gibson then!  
    Don't buy a Gibson then!  

Surprisingly, I've bought two 2017 Gibson Guitars and they are, even to my picky eye, pretty much perfect!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited July 2017

The old ones I've owned or played always sounded decent but felt... rustic.

I'd assumed the new ones would have higher build quality, especially since the parent company makes acoustics, but the reviews don't seem that great.

• rossirossi Frets: 1699

Don't buy a Gibson then!  

Surprisingly, I've bought two 2017 Gibson Guitars and they are, even to my picky eye, pretty much perfect!
    My 2015  Gibson Midtown ,even with the dreaded etune, is superb and faultless .Set up perfectly and I do love a low action but rarely get one unless I do it myself .Not  in this case with this one, Gibson did for me .My 2014 Melody Maker was the same .
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Funny - I'd been eyeing these Gordon Smith's recently. Looks like that GAS just got deflated.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Philly_Q said:

The old ones I've owned or played always sounded decent but felt... rustic.

I'd assumed the new ones would have higher build quality, especially since the parent company makes acoustics, but the reviews don't seem that great.

I quite like 'rustic' guitars, though..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.