Suhr Reactive Load VS Two Notes Torpedo

What's Hot
HPhillipsmusicHPhillipsmusic Frets: 188
Hey guys (apologies if this is in the wrong section)

I've been um-ing and ah-ing for weeks now about how to set up home recording in my flat.

I started thinking about an amp head that could go straight into an interface (Suhr Corso, then Quilter ToneBlock). 

Then I was set on a Suhr Reactive Load so I could use my vintage fender amps. I was fairly set on this set up with a Two Notes CAB - in to my interface.

Then I read that Two Notes Wall of Sound plug in basically accomplished similar results to the CAB - and as I didn't need portability, the WoSii coupled with the Suhr Reactive Load seemed the best solution. £399 for the Reactive Load - plus the relatively inexpensive Wall of Sound IR software - seemed pretty great.

Then I looked further into the Two Notes stuff and came across the Two Notes Torpedo Live - a load box and a cab sim all in one that fits neatly into a rack. At £700 this is obviously more than the Suhr Reactive Load and WoS, but thankfully my budget could just about cover it as a 'business expense'.

So I guess I'd like to hear your thoughts on which of these options you would go for, particularly if you own one or both.

Presumably the load box in the Torpedo Live is reactive and works as well as the Suhr RL, and the cab sims and IR's built into the Torpedo are better than the WoS plug-in?

I almost exclusively want a clean punchy blackface sound that can take my pedals well. My only 2 home amps are both tube combos (deluxe reverb and silverface champ) so i'd be hoping to use both of these into either the Reactive Load or the Torpedo.

Where should I spend my money? Would appreciate opinions on the specific products mentioned rather than a multitude of alternatives - I'm sure there are great alternatives but I've spent a long time deliberating and would like to come to a decision soon.

Many thanks, much love
Harry

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 395
    Since you're not going to gig with it, the Suhr + WoS is probably your best option. The native cabinet options or IRs on the Torpedo Live are exactly the same as their WoS plugin. I can only see the advantage of everything in one unit if you're using it, erm, Live. :) The price for a Torpedo Live also makes me think it's a no-brainer. 

This is one of the options I use in my studio and it works great.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I'm slightly biased (since I'm selling one!) - but I bought my Torpedo to use at the end of my pedal board. Effectively turned my pedal board into a really nice headphone practice setup. I know you could use the plugin for that - but meant it was much more convenient just to pull out the board and there it was.

Similarly - used it to go straight into a PA with, and worked well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    Been going over these options as well, including the Fryette Power Station into the Two Notes CAB. As I also like the idea of attenuation and fx loop for those of my amps that don't have it.

I would like to try them out, but nowhere seems to have all the gear, and I don't like buying stuff mail order only to return it.
    From my research it seems that the majority of those that have both the Two Notes Live and SuHr Reactive Load have preferred the Suhr into Two Notes, rather than the all in one, as they have different impedance curves, but that is anecdotal and I am an empiricist at heart so want to try them myself.

I have also just seen the universals audio Ox, which is due out later this year and looks very interesting as well
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25972-universal-audio-unveils-ox-the-amp-top-box

• Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah at this point it's looking like Suhr Reactive Load - into WoS plug in VS Torpedo LIVE
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah at this point it's looking like Suhr Reactive Load - into WoS plug in VS Torpedo LIVE
    I'd suggest you hold off a couple of weeks - because of this:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/two_notes_torpedo_captor_8_ohm.htm

Essentially, it's the exact same reactive load you'll find in the Torpedo Live, and less than half the price of the Suhr.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    edited July 2017
    I have the Suhr RL (which is modelled after a celestion greenback) and it's response is still not the same as playing through your amp's speaker. While using the same official celestion blue IR, I find using the suhr as a simple line out but thru-ing it to my amps internal speaker gives me a better more open tone than using the Suhr's internal load. If I thru it to the speaker inside my isolation box, it also has a slightly more open feel. Makes me wonder if a simple line out device thru to my ISO box would have been cheaper for almost silent recording. It's not that the suhrs load is bad, far from it, just tighter and less dynamic. Perhaps more modern? A bit compressed. Perhaps a real greenback has the same feel? Wouldn't know. Haven't put one in my amp yet. For single note clean stuff I much prefer my amp as the load, for distortion or fuzz I could see myself using the suhr as the load. 

Havent tried the torpedo though!
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    I have the Torpedo Live and I think it's great. There are more cab IRs that you can download and the rooms/spaces and mic placement/movement make it just like recording in a studio and almost similar to being in the room with your amp. It means i can get the most out of my amps at home.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah at this point it's looking like Suhr Reactive Load - into WoS plug in VS Torpedo LIVE

Essentially, it's the exact same reactive load you'll find in the Torpedo Live, and less than half the price of the Suhr.
    That looks awesome!
  • Thanks for the info guys. They both seem like great products, but using the Two Notes IR software anyway I can't find enough evidence to suggest that the Torpedo is better than the Suhr - considering the IR's are the same from the Two Notes Wall of Sound.
    The load box in the Suhr seems to even have the edge over the one in the Torpedo?

Would still love to hear more thoughts please.
    H
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    I think Pete thorn did a thorough YouTube video about this, comparing micing his amp, and using the torpedo and the suhr. I remember downloading the audio from YouTube, cutting it up to different tracks in logic and comparing them. That made me choose the suhr over the torpedo. 
  • jaysmithjaysmith Frets: 27
    I like using the Palmer PDI 03 with a Mesa Rectifier. I also have the Two Notes Torpedo live,.... but i always think that unit sounds very "thin" when placed in a mix with other instruments.
               I have found this to be the case with every digital amp, speaker sim, modeler i have tried.
    It becomes even more apparant in a live band setting when the guitar just does not cut through properly and gets lost in the sound of the other instruments.
            The digital gear sounds good when played on its own, but there is something about digitaly generated amps / speakers that always comes back to this problem.
          It's as though the sound of digital simulators is too smooth or something and the roughness of the guitar sound is not there.
                 As a stand alone unit, some may say the Palmer doesn't have the realism of modelers / IR's, but it always retains the "body"  and definition of the guitar sound in a mix.
         I do like the palmer, but everybody seems to go the IR route for speakers these days.

• Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah at this point it's looking like Suhr Reactive Load - into WoS plug in VS Torpedo LIVE

Been a long time coming but can't wait for this