Epiphone Les Paul SL £99

What's Hot
earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
There have been some mentions in other threads but no specific thread for it. 

Is anyone tempted?  Looks like it could be a great mod platform. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Get some Bare Knuckle Faceblasters in there and it'll be reet.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Has anywhere got these in stock yet?
    I've been waiting for them to show up in the UK.

I'll be near the front of the queue.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Stop crying, start buying
    Moss said:
    Thanks @Moss I remember the thread but I still haven't seen them in stock yet.
    Those links in that thread are for Amazon and Gibsons.

If it's Amazon who have the Epiphones they can keep them, I won't give them the proverbial steam.......

I'll wait for a proper guitar shop to get them in.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Moss said:
    I even posted in that thread!  

Anderton's have it for pre order. 
    Moss said:
    I even posted in that thread!  

Anderton's have it for pre order. 
    Cool,

Thank you.
    Due in stock 15 August.

Being ordered by me sometime that week.

Thanks guys.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That's bonkers cheap for a decent platform!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    Is it a decent platform? Also, would you buy one on pre order without being able to try it first?

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Must be a bolt on for that price. Be cool if they do a set neck.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    robgilmo said:
    Is it a decent platform? Also, would you buy one on pre order without being able to try it first?

I've absolutely no need for one of these, or any other electric, as it goes, but I reckon, it being an epiphone, and sub £100, yeah, I reckon it'd be ok to mess with, if that's your thing..
     :) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    High end and mid-range guitars seem to be going up in price exponentially, yet the lowest end offerings from Fender and Gibson seem to be getting better, and cheaper.

Incredible that you can get a guitar made from real woods, not ply, all the components, including Grover tuning pegs, put together and shipped across the world, sold for £99 and still make a profit worth the hassle.

Much more fun as a mod platform in this colour:

Jack_ said:
    High end and mid-range guitars seem to be going up in price exponentially, yet the lowest end offerings from Fender and Gibson seem to be getting better, and cheaper.

Incredible that you can get a guitar made from real woods, not ply, all the components, including Grover tuning pegs, put together and shipped across the world, sold for £99 and still make a profit worth the hassle.

Much more fun as a mod platform in this colour:

That's the one I'm going to order in a few weeks, in that colour once I've cleared the 'Lay-Away' I've got also with Andertons for my Ibanez 7 string.
    Axetec does some *very* reasonably priced 'Iron Gear' pickups and I reckon that body is routed for the extra pots to make it 4 control layout. If it isn't, mine very soon after will be!

Very much looking forward to this one.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited July 2017
    Alnico said:

I reckon that body is routed for the extra pots to make it 4 control layout.
    And the rest.

Look at how massive the scratchplate is, and how far apart the knobs, switch and jack are. There's a biiiiig swimming pool under there.

Chuck in a Sustainer and an EMG Afterburner while you're at it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Bucket said:
    Alnico said:

And the rest.

Look at how massive the scratchplate is, and how far apart the knobs, switch and jack are. There's a biiiiig swimming pool under there.

I'm looking at a better quality upgrade whilst keeping it as budget as possible but I get your point.

I'm going to use this as my learn-how-to do stuff like re-cut the nut and level/dress frets.
    Whilst that will incur costs itself for tools, they are long term investments and I'm treating that as a separate cost to employ them on future guitars I own.

I've successfully re-crowned frets on my own USA Strat using a triangular file, which at the time was quite a leap of faith and I was praised by a Tech on the quality of the job I did so that's given me some confidence to go further.
    I know people with tools like routers should it need that and I've needed to up my game with things like electronics for some time now so there's a budget for the guitar itself and concurrently there's a tool and learning budget going on which I'm trying to keep separate but which will directly benefit this guitar and hopefully future guitars I own.

The really important stuff will still go to @SteveRobinson to be done quickly and efficiently by a Professional but I have always wanted to have more skill myself so this feel like a good place to start.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    I actually like the look of it too
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited July 2017
    Bucket said:
    Alnico said:

And the rest.

One thing to be aware of- if it's anything like the original Melody Maker that it so closely resembles, the body is SUPER shallow/thin & routing a pocket deep enough for upgrades on it could be "interesting". It might be worth checking before you buy. 

I quite like it, but wish they'd gone for a MM style narrow headstock rather than an Epi one. I won't be buying one regardless- I've bought several "look how ridiculously cheap it is" guitars, both new and second hand in the past.  They never stick around. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    stimpsonslostson said:
    One thing to be aware of- if it's anything like the original Melody Maker that it so closely resembles, the body is SUPER shallow/thin & routing a pocket deep enough for upgrades on it could be "interesting". It might be worth checking before you buy. 
    Good point.  If you see the video above, they show the bridge pickup is raised fairly high - maybe an indication the body route is on the shallow side of things. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    Nice option, they look cool. I imagine these will sell like crazy. I wish they did a single P90 version!