Nail Clippers...

What's Hot
GadgetGadget Frets: 895
Okay, so an odd one this, but being guitarists I'm sure we all consciously take care of our fingernails, whether it be keeping them mega short for trouble-free fretting, or mega long for picking.

Up until now, I've participated in the filthy habit of nibbling my fingernails really short, but it isn't doing my teeth any good, so....

What decent nail clippers are available? ie: ones that aren't just cheap crap from a pharmacy, but actually cut cleanly, acurately, over a decent length, stay sharp and don't fall to bits or rust in a week?
I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    The Swiss Army penknife - the smallest one they do.  I use the scissors on that.  It's a brilliant thing though which I would never be without.  Screwdriver, nail (and other stuff) file, knife, tweezers, toothpick.  £14.  Everyone should have one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Is this a joke?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I pay a Taiwanese boy £1.25 an hour to nibble on my nails until they're 0.054mm in length, I find that anything longer has an impact on my tone.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BensonBenson Frets: 242
    Joking aside, I have to keep my nails really short otherwise they interfere on the fretboard and I frequently get it wrong and cut my fingernails too short resulting in pain for a couple of days. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Small scissors for me..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Tweezerman from Amazon or Boots.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    I cut mine then file them smooth... actually can't stand em growing on the fretting hand. Seems like they just get in the way even though they probably dont! 

My method would probably leave a doctor worried though... 

I use a pair of sharp ambidextrous scissors, way too big, but hey. Then file the nails smooth with sainsburies or tescos emery nail boards. Cheap as chips.. 

My 'nails' are, well there is no white end bits left lol! Less than a mm at best. 

No doubt in years to come I'll be having them all cut out or suffering with shitty nail health of some kind. 

I think its the bending and getting a string slip under the nail that put me off having them even a tiny bit grown... 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Jack_ said:
    Is this a joke?
    It's serious Jack.

Fretting hand is easy. I bought a pair of Scholl branded nail clippers in 2009. They cut cleanly, and they have lasted well. Previous unbranded pairs were useless, poor cut and easily blunted. Now I bought mine in Italy. I don't know whether the same quality are available in the U.K. In 2017.

Right hand needs more attention. Clippers will cut away the edges of broken nails. I prefer to use a decent quality sapphire file. It can be difficult finding one which is fine enough. Most are rough and uneven. I bought mine at the same time as the clippers.

I wonder whether a fashion nail shop would have the right type of item.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Tweezerman twin pack from Boots large and small clippers for fingers and toes.

Now man up and stop asking stupid questions you pussy.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited July 2017
    It sounds like you need a pair of Khlip Ulitmate Clippers, which can be found here:

https://www.amazon.com/Klhip-Ultimate-Clipper-Leather-Case/dp/B013ESV2EW

I mean to get some myself as I'm lazy when it comes to shaping my nails; I let them grow too long and have to start again. It seems that these provide a much more accurate cut that your bog standard type from Boots and such.

You may also want to consider a decent nail file, too, such as the Wolfram Precision: Crystal nail file, specifically designed for us guitarists. I bought one recently and it's made a huge difference to my tone etc. Great bit of kit for classical guitarists/fingerpickers. You can find it here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfram-Precision-Crystal-nail-file/dp/B012AT3PKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500323318&sr=8-1&keywords=wolfram+precision+crystal+nail+file

Good luck 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    Jack_ said:
    Is this a joke?
    If you play with your nails it is absolutely vital to keep them very smooth or it destroys your tone.
    Niegeloh Solingen clippers or scissors and Wolfram Crystal files.  The Wolfram files are excellent and have replaced my usual routine of nail file followed by 1200 grit wet or dry followed by a buff on the rough side of a horsehide belt.
    The Wolfram files have saved me a lot of time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited July 2017
    Boots own clippers and a small nail file. Short on my fretting hand, and a bit longer on my strumming/picking hand. I don't use a pick so keeping my right-hand nails at a sensible length is useful.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Yes I'm serious - I warned you it was an odd one :)

No more strange than 'what pick do you use or 'what brand of lemon oil do you prefer', is it though, really? Our hands are the connection between us and our instrument, so I think a nail care question is pretty valid?

I find nail scissors are fine for cutting the opposite hand to whichever way you're handed and files are fine for smoothing-off, but the the only DIY solution for doing both hands is clippers, but I've found it difficult to find decent ones, hence the question.

I will take a look at those suggested so far, thanks...
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Don't forget, Sir Francis Drake circumcised the earth with a pair of 40 foot clippers...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    I use side cutters. Don't muck about. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3240
    Big +1 for the Wolfram glass files!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Sanding wheel on a Black & Decker - what do you think I am? Soft, or something?
  • I'm slightly obsessed with keeping my fretting hand nails short and right hand long enough. They grow really quickly so I have to cut them twice a week. I hate having my nails too long on my fingerboard hand, it feels like it slows me down.
     I now use a stylfile clipper which cuts them in such a way that I know longer need to file them, too.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/795/Nail-Stylfile-AV5P1a-S-Clipper-Clipper/B008OQLACO

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I usually just find a good patch of asphalt and give them a good seeing to.  
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Cheese grater
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom