Ceriatone Klein-ulator

HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
Recently got one of these chaps, does anyone know the best placement? I have seen them both on pedalboards with long lead run to the FX loop (which take up loads of room on the pedal board). I have been using mine on top of the amp with short lead run to the FX loop. I was just wondering if I am doing it wrong or if it does not matter. Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited July 2017
    If you are using it with a valve amp that has has no buffering of its own then placing the Kleinulator close to amp with short lead lengths is better. You can then run long leads to your FX because the signal is then buffered with a lower source impedance.

In the context of Valve amps that have no buffering just send and return jacks that act as insert points into the signal chain; devices suc as the Kleinulator do 2 things.

1. Adjust levels (depending upon where the FX loop is inserted, the signal levels will vary but are generally much higher than is suitable for FX pedals or even some rack gear.

2. Adjust source impedance - valves are generally "high impedance" devices which means that they are not suitable for driving low impedances without degrading quality (typically treble roll off is the most noticeable impact). Valves can be configured for this purpose e.g. Cathode Follower used to drive Tone Stack in Marshal Plexi style amps but when you create a simple FX loop by inserting jacks and not designing the circuit to match, you need an external buffer such as a Kleinulator.
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    @exocet ; Cheers, that makes things very clear. Much appreciated.