I'm going to be made redundant!

What's Hot
dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
As per title.

Quite the mix of emotions I must say. On the one hand I am a gutted to be losing my job and financial independence, on the other hand, my partner is very supportive and we can just about manage on her income so I am quite chilled about it and rather looking forward to getting out of here!

I do consider myself very lucky to be in such a position; some of my colleagues who are also facing the chop are much less fortunate.

I can't help wondering whether I'll be able to get another job considering my age (52), experience and skill set, and what that might mean to me after the thrill of not having to get up early wears off. As I say - strange mix of emotions.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    If you're relaxed about it you'll prob find a new job sooner than you'd wish. Sounds great!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

If you're looking for another job, when was the last time you had an interview? Worth brushing up on that one. And make sure your CV is on the money, too. Free of spelling and grammar howlers! As per usual, there's shedloads of free advice on the web.

Apart from that, good luck, and may the force be with you!

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    dogload said:

I do consider myself very lucky to be in such a position; some of my colleagues who are also facing the chop are much less fortunate.

Don't. Planning and saving and fall-backs are not luck. You made the sacrifice to have both partners in work and now you are reaping the benefits.

I imagine most people in the UK are made redundant at least once. Getting oneself into a position where it will cause one massive hardship if it happens is taking a big risk.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I go on about my redundancy at great length so I won't now but if you are in a position to treat it as early retirement or just work part time that's a pretty good thing. 

The one thing that I thought I might do that didn't really work was look for a job doing something properly different - in some ways it's a lot harder to get a lower skilled/ qualified job as there's so much competition and as a bloke in your fifties with no relevant experience you aren't an obvious choice. Transferable skills are where it's at.

The people I got made redundant with largely treated it as early retirement ( it was a middle management cull basically) whilst quite a few actually got jobs back with the organisation through an agency being paid more per hour than when in the job they left. Don't know how that's worked long term for them. I think I was in the minority in actuality looking for another 'proper' job. 

I'm sure you'll be told this but you do get to sign on (apply online once you've left)and you'll get contributions based IS ( about £70 per week)and your NI contributions paid for up to six months. They do offer some support and advice, access to training,etc, as well although you'll at least need to look like you're applying for work.

Hope it all goes well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    It isn't a nice thing to go through, your head is full of uncertainties, I've been through redundancy 4 times in my working life and never came out of any of those jobs with much redundancy money.
    Good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    My friend has just been through the same thing. He was with LV for over 10 years...last 12 months, he's been through a severe bout of depression (I've hardly had any contact with him, not through lack of trying)...was made redundant, and it's been like a new lease of life for him...Starts his new job next month, and is on the up and up. 

My dad is well into his 60's and managed to land on his feet getting a job as a car salesman for Lexus (which he's never done), after being jobless when him and my mum gave up running a hotel after 10 years. 

You'll be absolutely fine! All the best sir. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Thanks guys :)

Yes, they aren't exactly over-burdening me with the generosity of their pay-off, but it's enough to get rid of my credit card bill at least  :) 

I am definitely looking at the 'early retirement' angle... mind you, there have been several mentions by my future principle breadwinner that I'll have plenty of time to do stuff like gardening, decorating, washing and ironing and other such mythical activities!

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    edited July 2017
    Sorry to hear your news but, as others have said, it could open the door to new opportunities. Early retirement could be an attractive option if it's viable or perhaps finding something part time. If Mrs F gets promoted next year then I will definitely be out of here (my job) like a shot!
    Link to my trading feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    FWIW you can apply via the Govt website to find out how many years NI contributions you have. IIRC you need 35 years to get a full pension at 67. As the OP is 52 he may be there or thereabouts but he's got 15 years to work a bit more to make up any deficit. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13937

Been there twice before, once in 2002 age 35 and in January this year aged 49

Luckily I was offered alternative employment this time around which I took but still went through the 'change curve' and wrestled with feeling quite low for a couple of months afterwards. 

It has hardened my view of the rate race corporate bullshit, working to line shareholders pockets, and at 50 I am working harder at getting debt free as I can't do this shite until I'm 67!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Sorry to hear about the job loss, always a bummer but good that you aren't left in a dire situation. I've had the threat of redundancy the past few years and I dread the thought. I'm 54 and I can't see me getting something else, and 27 years in one job means that it's all I know!

Hopefully something great will come along for you. I know of many people who have landed on their feet after redundancy - including me!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @dogload ; sorry to hear about you being made redundant. Happened to me in the late 1990s so I started to work for myself and have never looked back. And on age take some comfort from an old school friend of mine who was made redundant at 59 and thought that was it - he ended up with about 5 interviews and two job offers and was out of work for month.

Good luck.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    dogload said:
    Thanks guys :)

I'll have plenty of time to do stuff like gardening, decorating, washing and ironing and other such mythical activities!

Excellent, I'll PM you my address and you can start whenever you like!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Get a lawyer to check your leaving agreement. Make sure references are pinned down legally. You'd be surprised how cuntish some people can be.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    me too when my sperm dries up and my testosterone flat lines...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I got my notice pay (and worked for it tbh) and nothing else when it happened to me. One of the best things to ever happen in my career in the end. 

All the best mate. 
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 657
    Try not worry about it.
    l lost my job but eventually picked up another....which l really enjoy.  It only pays half of what l was earning before (and that was not much) but l cut my cloth to suit... 
    Half as much money, but Twice as much happier......
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    robgilmo said:
    Dont let job hunting scare you, I was five hours late for my last job interview, I still got the job!
    Jeez - how late we're the other candidates?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    Is this another DentArthurDent opportunity?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.