Looking to upgrade to a fender

What's Hot
venom7venom7 Frets: 0
hi I really need some new gear I need new amp new guitar as I've progressed and this cheap gear ain't doing me justice anymore wouldn't mind a fender and a nice amp any suggestions if I can afford it? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited July 2017
    I got a Fender Stratocaster recently and have been impressed by it when compared to the copies I'd previously tried, it certainly didn't allow me to play things I previously couldn't, but THAT logo does make me happy when I see the guitar and there's something to be said for that.

First and most obviously- What's your budget? That'll tell you whether you can afford it.
    What's your current set up? What do (and don't) you like about it?
    What sort of music do you play? 

Welcome to the forum by the way.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Welcome to the forum dude (or dudette). Whereabouts do you live? Any chance you could get to a decent store? If so set yourself a budget, try a bunch of Fender stuff, and pick what you like!

I wish I could do that, I always have something super specific in mind... :)

But yeah if you need any specific pointers we need to know a bit more about what you like and play.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Telecaster or Stratocaster?
    Solid state or valve amp?
    People will be along saying nothing less than a custom shop guitar and a Dumble amp will do, but without knowing how much you want to spend, it's impossible to say.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Welcome, you might need to tell us more of your needs. We have no problem spending your money, but you might not need what I might and so on.

So
    Budget?
    Are you just home use?
    Will you play out anytime soon?#
    Do you Jam with other musicians (and drummers)?
    What style of music do you like/are you playing?

There is nothing at all wrong with Fender gear, they make some first class amplifiers (and some also rans) as well as guitars at all budget levels where more money generally gets you more guitar, although it is a bit of a case of diminishing returns.

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I started on a squire strat in December using a mini home practice amp (roland cube). Guitars I'm not really going to speak about as I've been quite silly and now own 4... The squire is long gone. 

I'd advise against making the mistake I did with amps though. I bought a fender mustang ii v2 (40w combo) that was great and a massive improvement, but as soon as I wanted to start playing with other people, particularly drummers, it was too weedy. I sold that and bought a Boss Katana 100. I should have skipped the middle step. Even if I do buy an expensive valve amp further down the line (I want a Princeton Reverb if anyone would like to donate me one!) I'll still keep the katana as it's powerful enough to gig with and way more portable than a big valve amp. 

I can't recommend the katana enough, even the 50w is plenty loud to gig with and what you get for the price is just insane. 

I was lucky and didn't take too much of a bath on amps, but do yourself a favour and buy not just for what you need now, but in the future.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Let me know if you'd like a used USA Standard Stratocaster in HSS - been meaning to list it for a while

Pete

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    As @Legionreturns says, get yourself a reasonably powerful amp rather than wasting money buying a progression of slightly-more-powerful-than-the-previous-one amps. I'd suggest at least 50 Watts if solid state, or 15 Watts if valve. Probably solid state if you're mostly a bedroom player. The Boss Katana currently gets a lot of love round these parts.

Guitarwise the MIM Std Teles and Strats are both great guitars and perfectly gigworthy. In the next price bracket are the Classic Series which have vintage radius fretboards (which don't suit everybody) but are cracking guitars for the money. Next up, the Classic Player (Strat) or Baja (Tele) are designed to look oldschool but have some modern touches such as flatter fretboards, extra tone options, etc. Get out there and try a few.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    venom7 said:
    I need new amp, new guitar ... any suggestions? 
    Give the board a rough idea of your location. (The county name would do.) You are probably within easy travelling distance of some excellent pre-owned bargains from the membership of this community. 
    Be seeing you.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Also, don't hang about with these nerds! Come to noob corner and embarrass yourself with me! It's very quiet in there, we need some new blood! 
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/102622/beginner-player-recordings-ill-show-you-mine-if-you-show-me-ours/p1

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    If you get a Fender guitar then you *must* get a Fender amp as there really is some magic pixie dust that gets sprinkled when the two pair up...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>