Strats - in the market for one and want some advice.

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
What would you say my best route would be? I am specifically after a nitro finished cream strat with rosewood board. Budget wise I'm looking at £750 ish. 

Am i best looking at going down the partsocaster route or should I be looking at a used avri? Am I missing any models that for this spec? 

I know it's a tad specific colour wise but it's the colour I've always wanted a strat and never had. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited July 2017
    2nd hand Fender Road Worn 60s Strat in olympic white.

Getting a recent AV for that money is ambitious. 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    There may well be a classic 60s lacquer MIM that fits the bill - used would be within budget..
  • At that budget probably used avri (assuming available in the colour you want).

if building from parts, a really well finished nitro body and neck will easily push you north of 750 after you add decent pickups and hardware (and setup unless DIY)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I'd go shopping and try as many as you can.
    It took me 18 months to find my Strat, I tried everything up to American standard and couldn't find anything I really liked until I picked up my Koa Strat.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Partscaster.

Get @lamf68 to do the paint work for you.

Go to @TheGuitarWeasel for some pickups.

Grab a Wudtone trem.

Get your hardware from @streethawk ;

You'll end up with an amazing Strat, and I think you'll be under £750, for your spec, with all the best parts available.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    At that budget, probably used avri (assuming available in the colour you want).
    I have one in Olympic White, Duncan pickups and seven sound control wiring. Even restored to stock, no way would I let it go for £750.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    USA G&L Legacy - Custom Shop Quality at £750.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1014
    Don't do it ;-)
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    So a partsocaster might be an option. Is the general rule of thumb you buy the parts and get someone to knock it all together (I assume that's how these guitar things are made ha)
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited July 2017
    Oops misread the OP!
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    There's really nothing on a partscaster assembly that you can't do yourself with ease, unless you haven't soldered before.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1014
    I thought you were more of a humbucker person (in the bridge position that is)?
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    AVRI price range is £950 to £1200 at the moment from what I've seen. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    http://www.fraserguitars.com/product/olympic-white-60s/

You have a custom order if the relicing is too much for you!
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    shaunm said:
    So a partsocaster might be an option. Is the general rule of thumb you buy the parts and get someone to knock it all together (I assume that's how these guitar things are made ha)
    Do it yourself, a Strat partscaster is about the easiest thing to build guitar wise, and you'll feel more attached to it because you put it together.

If you get someone else to put it together, you'll be paying a fair bit for something that is relatively simple - maybe take it to someone once it's together for a good setup with nut height adjustments and the like.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Must. Try. Not. To. Read. Thread. Very tempted to get a American Standard Strat myself!
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    Keep your eyes open for a second hand Highway One. Decent necks and bodies, medium jumbo frets and 50's/60's styling on the pre-2006 1st issue, more rock and 70's styling with big frets on the post-2006 2nd issue. Very early ones (up to about 2003) are a very thin acrylic finish, but most are satin nitro which buffs up to a nice gloss with little effort. The transparent blonde, which is creamy, was a popular finish and they were available with rosewood boards or all maple necks, so choice there too. Realistically should be under £500 second hand, which leaves cash to spare for upgrades, a setup or whatever.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Assuming the vintage appointments suited you I would add a little cash and look around for an AVRI.

Try a WTB on here. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Keep your eyes open for a second hand Highway One. Decent necks and bodies, medium jumbo frets and 50's/60's styling on the pre-2006 1st issue, more rock and 70's styling with big frets on the post-2006 2nd issue. Very early ones (up to about 2003) are a very thin acrylic finish, but most are satin nitro which buffs up to a nice gloss with little effort. The transparent blonde, which is creamy, was a popular finish and they were available with rosewood boards or all maple necks, so choice there too. Realistically should be under £500 second hand, which leaves cash to spare for upgrades, a setup or whatever.

Just got an early one with a 70's headstock, and it's a really nice guitar
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
      @guitars4you had/has a rather nice 'Highway One' model in as a used guitar with some VERY nice upgrades including a Bladerunner tremolo system and some posh pickups - I was looking at it just a few weeks ago.
    If that's what spins your wheels, give Mark a shout and see if it's still there.

Condition was excellent as far as I could see and the 'H-1' benefits from a CBS headstock (If indeed that's your thing) and as far as I remember this one has jumbo frets.
    It's a Rosewood neck model with a flat black body and black scratchplate.
    It's a very nice looking guitar and you will struggle to buy one from a nicer bloke than Mark.

hope that helps.