Cheap Tremolo

What's Hot
MartinBMartinB Frets: 185
I could do with picking up a cheap tremolo pedal, to use when I'm not using my amp that has tremolo.  I tried a Donner "Golden Tremolo" (which looks very similar to the Mooer/Eno/Rowin Trelicopter), but it has a problem with the LFO causing a clicking noise both when engaged and when bypassed.  So that one will be going back.  
What else is worth looking at?  I've seen the Joyo which might be OK, or I used to have a Marshall Vibratrem that I liked.  I don't need any particularly extreme tremolo effects, and it would be nice if it wasn't huge.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 141
    Can't beat the Mooer Trelicopter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 185
    Can't beat the Mooer Trelicopter
    Have you noticed any ticking noise from it?  I've seen reports of the same noise I have with the Donner, and the two pedals look to be quite closely related.  
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Generally hate Mooer pedals, but the trelicopter is good 
    I haven't noticed it before, will listen out for it next time it's on my board. I also have the Chase Bliss Gravitas, Strymon Flint and Basic Audio Throbby so do think you get what you pay for with this stuff, but the Trelicopter is bloody good for the price and fits on your board when others don't. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    Boss tr-2. 

No frills but sounds great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Boss tr-2. 

No frills but sounds great. 
    +1 - worth getting the Analogman, Keeley or similar modded TR-2 if you can.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited July 2017
    The clicking when bypassed issue is pretty common on a lot of tremolo pedals, it's normally cured when you put it in the chain after a pedal with a buffer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290

John_A said:
    The clicking when bypassed issue is pretty common on a lot of tremolo pedals, it's normally cured when you put it in the chain after a pedal with a buffer.
    Yeh, my Vibratrem did that.

Worth keeping an eye out for Boo or Fredric trems, not cheap new but they don't tend to keep their value so can be a used bargain and people seem to like them and a cut above the Mooer/ Donner type brands. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    How cheap is cheap?

Another vote for the boss TR-2. They can be had used for under £40. Personally I wouldn't bother with a modded one, I've had the standard one for a few years and have no gripes with it. Boss changed the circuit themselves in around 2006 (I think) and added a slight boost so if you go down that route I'd try and get a post-2006 if you can. The updated circuits have "PB Free" printed on the circuit board I believe which is a way to identify which one you have.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    I have an old EHX Pulsar somewhere which I'd sell if you were interested. It's got a lot of sounds in it!
    How very rock and roll
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 185
    I haven't sent the Donner back yet - I've just tried it with my Belle Epoch delay in front of it (the only buffered pedal in my setup), and sure enough, the ticking is gone.  I don't use tremolo and delay at the same time, so the order they come in isn't important.  With just the Donner between my guitar and amp, the ticking was annoying enough that I would consider it unusable.  I dunno, should I just hang on to it and put it after the Belle Epoch?  It would be easier than looking around for something else...
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    I have a Johnson 'fifties tremolo' for sale, basically a TR-2 £30 delivered if interested.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    MartinB said:
    I haven't sent the Donner back yet - I've just tried it with my Belle Epoch delay in front of it (the only buffered pedal in my setup), and sure enough, the ticking is gone.  I don't use tremolo and delay at the same time, so the order they come in isn't important.  With just the Donner between my guitar and amp, the ticking was annoying enough that I would consider it unusable.  I dunno, should I just hang on to it and put it after the Belle Epoch?  It would be easier than looking around for something else...

That's good to hear.  It's the current fad for true bypass that means a lot of newer pedals don't have buffers, you wouldn't get the ticking with a Boss, but if the order isn't important just hang on to it, you'd get the same issue with a lot of others too
  • Trem last in chain for me. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• tweaknoobtweaknoob Frets: 2
    I just got an Onerr CT-1 Copper Tremolo for about £15 on eBay. Absolute bargain - can go really really fast, good range of waves and depth.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    edited July 2017
    Ben8010 said:
    How cheap is cheap?

Another vote for the boss TR-2. They can be had used for under £40. Personally I wouldn't bother with a modded one, I've had the standard one for a few years and have no gripes with it. Boss changed the circuit themselves in around 2006 (I think) and added a slight boost so if you go down that route I'd try and get a post-2006 if you can. The updated circuits have "PB Free" printed on the circuit board I believe which is a way to identify which one you have.
    Yeah I was going to say, if you're going the Boss route try to get one from after they fixed the volume drop issue (guess which dope bought his before they fixed this? s). I'm not sure exactly how to tell the differences- I'm sure you're right but just pointing out that I'm not corroborating what you said on that point.
  • I had the trelicopter no noise or anything. Think yours must be faulty 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Just get a boss tr2. It's an absolute classic and sounds brilliant, for not many pounds used. 

If you want something crazier and more square wave, it might not do it (although it does get fairly choppy). But as an all around trem I don't know that I'd want anything else. 

I used to hanker for the Duncan one though. 
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    The rowin tremolo is basically a mooer trelicopter, but cheaper. I've never had problems with it. 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Danelectro Cool Cat trem? Hard/ soft term options and sounded pretty good to me for the dosh