Trading Places (film)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    edited July 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    Could someone with a better grasp of finance than me please explain how they make all the money at the end and the Dukes lose all theirs ?

I've struggled with this ever since the film was released !

Idiots terminology only please !

The Dukes think the OJ forecast is going to be bad (as they have the false crop report), so they are expecting the price to go up once the report is announced, so they tell their guy to buy as much OJ as he can, regardless of the price...

That's as far as I've ever got - and I'm not certain I've even got that right !! 
    They put their money in a stock that they bought would go up but instead it went massively down so they lost it.

For instance, if I give you a pound thinking you will give me £2 back but instead you give me back 5p.
    This wouldn't happen in real life because I'd never lend you money without some sort of security bond.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    edited July 2017
    blueskunk said:
    Classic shit.  

Im not looking forward to the remake with the Rock and Mark Wahlburg
    Really?  That's crap. I wish Hollywood would just leave  well alone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    octatonic said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Could someone with a better grasp of finance than me please explain how they make all the money at the end and the Dukes lose all theirs ?

The Dukes think the OJ forecast is going to be bad (as they have the false crop report), so they are expecting the price to go up once the report is announced, so they tell their guy to buy as much OJ as he can, regardless of the price...

That's as far as I've ever got - and I'm not certain I've even got that right !! 
    They put their money in a stock that they bought would go up but instead it went massively down so they lost it.

For instance, if I give you a pound thinking you will give me £2 back but instead you give me back 5p.
    This wouldn't happen in real life because I'd never lend you money without some sort of security bond.
    I actually found a website that explains it !!!  I get it now !!  After all this time.....  =)
    http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2013/07/19/201430727/what-actually-happens-at-the-end-of-trading-places
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Emp_Fab said:
    octatonic said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I actually found a website that explains it !!!  I get it now !!  After all this time.....  =)
    http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2013/07/19/201430727/what-actually-happens-at-the-end-of-trading-places
    Only possible due to obtaining the frozen orange juice concentrate harvest reports and using the resulting information to 'game' the market, very illegal. 

The Dukes however broke no laws in their bet. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    According to that page I found, it is illegal now,  but wasn't at the time the film was made and the section of the bill that outlawed it is known as "The Eddie Murphy Rule"  =)
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491

Emp_Fab said:
    octatonic said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I actually found a website that explains it !!!  I get it now !!  After all this time..... 
    Only possible due to obtaining the frozen orange juice concentrate harvest reports and using the resulting information to 'game' the market, very illegal. 
    They framed a man for theft and constructed his dismissal. They commited fraud and wasted police time.

There are no angels in this fable. 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Fucking hell, well that posts sucked the fun out of it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    cruxiform said:
    blueskunk said:
    Classic shit.  

I think this might be a joke. 
    antifash said:
    cruxiform said:
    blueskunk said:
    Classic shit.  

I think this might be a joke. 
    I hope so mate. Not a fan of remakes!
    Fucking hell, well that posts sucked the fun out of it
    There ya go, back on track :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    The trading places move is called "shorting the market" or "going short"

This is how people can make big money when things crash, which seems illogical as you assume everyone will be losing money when the value of a commodity goes down in price.

If you are interested in this kind of thing then I strongly recommend reading "The big short" by Michael Lewis which explains how a few smart people made a massive amount of money by shorting the subprime mortgage market by buying insurance against toxic debt before most people realised it was toxic.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Hoof said:

Emp_Fab said:
    octatonic said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I actually found a website that explains it !!!  I get it now !!  After all this time..... 
    They framed a man for theft and constructed his dismissal. They commited fraud and wasted police time.

There are no angels in this fable. 
    Yeah, I forgot the police bit.......
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    If you are interested in this kind of thing then I strongly recommend reading "The big short" by Michael Lewis which explains how a few smart people made a massive amount of money by shorting the subprime mortgage market by buying insurance against toxic debt before most people realised it was toxic.
    ..or watching the fillum of the book with Steve Carell, Christian Bale, Brad Pitt and Ryan Gosling in it.  Excellent film IMO.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596363/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    "YEAH"
     =) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    1979 said:
    "YEAH"
     =) 
    Pissed myself at that. A young Gus Fring in that scene too!