Dimarzio Injectors

fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24268
edited July 2017 in Guitar
As per my other thread on new scratchplates, I've had a play with the Hum + 1 single set (Air Norton and Chopper) and yesterday I installed the plate with Dimarzio Injectors in neck and bridge and an Area 67 in the middle.

First the weak bit - the Area 67 is a bit meh. Not terrible by any means, just a bit meh. I might end up swapping that. But then again I don't use the middle pickup very much anyway.

The Injectors are fantastic. A Massive step up from the Dimarzio HS3 set I was using before.
The Injectors are clearly aimed at the higher gain player (they are a Paul Gilbert model) but they have excellent clarity even with high level of distortion.

Are they as good as my Lollar Black Face when using completely clean sounds? No. But the injectors are much better with mid gain and above

Does the noiseless quality outweight the lack of true single sparkle on clean sounds - for me, yes.

The biggest surprise - they react really well to the guitar volume knob.

Very happy with them - to the point that the Lollars might even get sold as I can't see me putting them back in.

Or I could get another strat I suppose!

EDIT - the middle is an Area 61, not a 67. They didn't have the 67 in stock. Same comments though
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got them too and agree with everything you said.

The 67 is the weak link but I still quite like position 2&4, just not 3 where it's on its own as it's a bit bland. 

The injectors seem to have a bit more mid than "sparkle", and retain those characteristics even when you pour gain on to them- never seeming to go too muddy (which is my biggest criticism of most HBs).
    I totally get what you mean regarding the volume & tone controls- they clean up beautifully when you roll off, almost in the same way the P90 on my Jr does.

As I said on another thread, they came fitted as standard to my Ibanez Fireman. I'm really impressed with both the guitar and the pickups, I can use it to do almost everything my LP and Strat do... So much so that I might end up selling them.

Glad you like the pickups.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24268
    I just realised I made a mistake - I have an Area 61 in the middle as they didn't have the 67 in stock and I was impatient.

Same comments though, a bit meh.

If I swap it - I might try the 58. Lower output and more sparkle by the looks of things.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    There was an Ibanez Fireman under my roof for a few days. I found both its DiMarzio Injector pickups pretty darned good. If the guitar were mine, I would have wanted either a mid range booster or a "rails" hum-cancelling pickup in the bridge position. I only used the Area 67 in combination with one or other of the Injector pickups.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Cool. I didn't like the 61 too much myself. It's a bit nasal and not really that powerful sounding.

The 67 is a better middle pickup IMO but I haven't heard any noiseless single with proper sparkle - that seems to be something that gets lost.

My findings from using a couple of different passive and active noiseless Strat sets is that having a lower output middle pickup seems to help positions 2 and 4. 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    If noise is really an issue with singles at home, look at your wiring and lighting in the house. The noise difference between my London gaff and here, all other stuff equal, is unreal.
    It's not that it's an issue - it's that I have a pathological hatred of it.

It annoys.
    For a bit of balance I put the Lollars in.

They definitely win at clean sounds.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I have an Injector in the bridge of my Warmoth Strat, with a pair of @Van_Hayden Bulldog Pickups Texas Floods.. It's a great combination!