The price of lamb

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    or go to a local butcher where you will find a consistently excellent source of fairly priced meat that makes you wonder why you bother with stuff from the supermarket!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789

Why is it that the price of a leg of lamb can be £24 one day, and £12 the next?

That'll be those half-price lamb promotions, non monsieur?  :)

About the alaska fish thing.  IIRC there was a programme on TV about UK chicken being frozen (to avoid VAT) then exported to Holland where is was make into chicken dippers, re-frozen (to avoid VAT) and sold in the UK.

I've also wondered why shops like Morrisons have whisky on offer, made in Scotland but imported by a company with an Aus/NZ address. 
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/jul/08/bse.foodanddrink

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    WezV said:
    or go to a local butcher where you will find a consistently excellent source of fairly priced meat that makes you wonder why you bother with stuff from the supermarket!

I'd agree with you, however having just been up the town at lunchtime, the local butchers, Rooks, are selling whole leg of lamb for £29.95!

• vizviz Frets: 10645
    edited July 2017
    Nitefly said:

The world and his wife will be wanting it, now it's "sustainable".  How can cod be "fully traceable"?  Are they all barracuda or something?
    Corrected
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    WezV said:

I'd agree with you, however having just been up the town at lunchtime, the local butchers, Rooks, are selling whole leg of lamb for £29.95!
    Yeah, not cheap round here either. Two lamb chops from our local butcher cost me £6 the other day. It IS really nice meat but it's certainly not cheap. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    stickyfiddle said:

Kobe is nice, but I'm not sure why half the world is so obsessed with wagyu and Angus.
    Kobe is Wagyu.
    It's a specific high grade class of wagyu iirc.  Hida is still better.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    My old mum worked at Sainsbury's for many years. She used to tell stories about people walking out with all kinds, including one bloke they caught with 6 beef joints, and another with no fewer than 10 bottles of whisky under his coat.
    Laurie Taylor's book about crime and criminals tells the story of a gang who nicked a grand piano from the shop floor of Harrods.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329

This happens all the time, and has been happening for a long time, now. Do they produce/process lamb in batches, or something? Is it supply and demand? And how come lamb that comes halfway round the poxy world from New Zealand can be cheaper than the meat produced here?

I just don't understand it.

I've never bought Leg of Lamb 2 days in a row... you must be well loaded...and fat...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    WezV said:

Yeah, not cheap round here either. Two lamb chops from our local butcher cost me £6 the other day. It IS really nice meat but it's certainly not cheap. 
    That's kind of my point.  Would you rather have copious amounts of low quality meat, or a small amount of great meat?  

although I am quite lucky as I have a rather fine game butcher less than a mile from my house, and 2 good ones near work that are always willing to recommend a good cheaper cut.  They are not very posh places at all, I don't live anywhere fancy, but the meat is great.  We also have the posh butchers in the local villages.  They do charge a lot more, but everyone wants the select cuts from them.  

• snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    scrumhalf said:
    My old mum worked at Sainsbury's for many years. She used to tell stories about people walking out with all kinds, including one bloke they caught with 6 beef joints, and another with no fewer than 10 bottles of whisky under his coat.
    Laurie Taylor's book about crime and criminals tells the story of a gang who nicked a grand piano from the shop floor of Harrods.
    What??

So many questions about that.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    scrumhalf said:
    What??

A Grand Deception if ever there was one.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    scrumhalf said:
    What??

Those kind of thefts are done on pure Chutspah
    - In Hampstead London NW3 there was a superbly audacious crime about 12 years ago.
    At around 8pm long after council offices are closed a number of large lorries,low loader and diggers together with a huge crew of hard hatted men in Hi-vis turn up and diligently put out all the work in progress and ROAD CLOSED signs together with a few diversion signs etc . They closed a whole side road ( Willoughby road or Downshire Hill I think ).
     A few residents mumbled about the inconvenience .They worked right through the night everybody assuming that they were a large highways contractor.
    By early morning the entirety of both Antique Yorkstone pavements ( about 400m on each side)had been lifted and removed.
     Of course,it was a pure theft and they were a criminal operation.
    Where do you best hide a tree................answer;in a Forest !
    Reclaimed Cathedral grade Yorkstone flagstones sell for £120 per square meter and they made away with about 1600 sq m
    with a resale value of about £200k.
     I would imagine the Piano was a similar story - there have been jobs done like this for a bet .
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    WezV said:
    boogieman said:
    WezV said:

That's kind of my point.  Would you rather have copious amounts of low quality meat, or a small amount of great meat?  

although I am quite lucky as I have a rather fine game butcher less than a mile from my house, and 2 good ones near work that are always willing to recommend a good cheaper cut.  They are not very posh places at all, I don't live anywhere fancy, but the meat is great.  We also have the posh butchers in the local villages.  They do charge a lot more, but everyone wants the select cuts from them.  

We've fully converted to getting meat from our local butcher. Steaks are far better and the chickens are nothing like watery supermarket chickens - superb meaty texture and real taste!
    WezV said:
    boogieman said:
    WezV said:

I hear what you're saying Wez, and there's no doubt that Rook's lamb leg will be very good indeed, they always are, but the point I'm making here is why are there the huge variances in the prices? That happens at Rook's, too. It's not just the supermarkets.

57Deluxe said:

This happens all the time, and has been happening for a long time, now. Do they produce/process lamb in batches, or something? Is it supply and demand? And how come lamb that comes halfway round the poxy world from New Zealand can be cheaper than the meat produced here?

I just don't understand it.

I've never bought Leg of Lamb 2 days in a row... you must be well loaded...and fat...

You have me on your latter point.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546

I suppose it comes down to the special offer culture we live in. 

If special offers were the end result batched processes earlier in production the supermarkets would have managed them out totally by now.   They put a hell of a lot of effort into efficient stock management.   They plan to be able to provide the offers.   I am sure you occasionally get an offer when someone has made a mistake and over-ordered, but they will learn from that to ensure it doesn't happen again.

My butchers are consistent on price but still have big signs they rotate outside which new customers would assume are special offers.  Its actually their regular price.  Although they do sell off rabbits rather cheaply when they have a good haul.  They know how many they need to butcher and freeze to maintain the stock levels they need.  The rest go for about  £1 each  as long as you don't mind skinning them.

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Tuna and corned beef. Prices keep going up and up. In 20 years they will be the food of kings and emporers!
    I love lamb but the fluctuating is rather confusing. I would use a local butcher but there isn't one.
    Also unfortunately anything I cook ends up tasting crap.
  • I'm lucky to be supplied with Welsh saltmarsh lamb from my brother in law's farm. It tastes superb and is extremely tender. It's sold in the local butcher, I'll find out the price. I buy most meat from the butcher apart from the odd steak from Lidl.

Here my top butcher tip..... ask the butcher to get you in some ox cheeks. It's a cheap cut and you get a lot of meat for your money. If you stew if for a few hours after marinating it overnight in beer or wine, it's delicious.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    ennspek said:
    Tuna and corned beef. Prices keep going up and up. In 20 years they will be the food of kings and emporers!
    I love lamb but the fluctuating is rather confusing. I would use a local butcher but there isn't one.

Good grief, yes..corned beef used to be one of the cheapest cold meats you could get, next to spam. Outrageous price these days, even sliced topside is cheaper.
    boogieman said:
    ennspek said:

Good grief, yes..corned beef used to be one of the cheapest cold meats you could get, next to spam. Outrageous price these days, even sliced topside is cheaper.
    I prefer the American corned beef, rather than the munched up shite that we get here.

Tongue, on the other hand, now we're taking. I love tongue!