Your favourite painting?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
edited July 2017 in Off Topic
I was in Birmingham yesterday and took the opportunity to visit its fantastic art gallery to see my favourite picture.

Birmingham Art Gallery displays some amazing classical, world famous pictures by artists such as Ford Madox Brown and Rossetti, however my absolute favourite is a massive landscape hung in the main circular gallery. It is called 'February Fill Dyke' and was painted by the artist Benjamin Williams Leader in 1881. The picture is so large that when you sit in front of it you are almost absorbed into the painted scene. It never fails to fill me with wonder, so powerful is its representation of a cold, wet winter evening in the late 19th century:

https://static.artuk.org/w1200h1200/BRM/BRM_BMAG_1914_P308.jpg

Post up your favourite picture and why it means so much to you
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpothotpot Frets: 845
    David Shepherds paintngs of steam trains. I've always been a steam train fan since my childhood and he just captures them perfectly.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Eek. Difficult one. One painting which means a lot to my extended family, and therefore me, is Guernica by Picasso:

My extended family are/were most definitely not fascists.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited July 2017

This wonderful piece represents the conflict between good and evil that lurks in the heart of every one of us, It delicately highlights and contrasts the moral conflicts we face and illustrates the pain, anguish and suffering, as we try to find the divine and righteous path to follow.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028

This wonderful piece represents the conflict between good and evil that lurks in the heart of every one of us,
    Needs more black.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    Re the painting in Randall's post. When I was at college we had a local artist come in to exhibit his work and talk about it. One was just a crudely drawn rectangle, done in pencil. When he was asked about it, apparently it represented how he felt about his mother's death: it was so strongly emotional, man, he just couldn't put down on paper how he felt. That's everything I hate about "art" right there, so much pretentious bollocks pretending to be some sort of statement  :s

Back on topic, I haven't really got a favourite painting. I like different things at different times. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14037
    tFB Trader
    sad to say now but I always use to like Rolf Harris 'do you know what it is yet' type of pics

Otherwise I'm a self confirmed pheasant when it comes to art
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    sad to say now but I always use to like Rolf Harris 'do you know what it is yet' type of pics

Otherwise I'm a self confirmed pheasant when it comes to art
    One of these ay? ;)

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I like this one as well:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    You don't really have to understand the artist's motivations, inspirations or intentions to appreciate a piece of art.  Just look at it.  If you like it, you like it.  If you don't, you don't.  You'll find about as much pretension in the lyrics of any number of songs, but that doesn't immediately stop you from enjoying the music.

Find it hard to pin it down to one painting.  Being as he died a little earlier this year, and I was blown away by a massive career retrospective of his work I saw a few years ago, right now I'd pick this one by American pop artist James Rosenquist.

It's one of a series of gigantic paintings he did of gift-wrapped dolls.  They really are amazing pieces.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • I don't have a favourite painting, although I enjoy looking at it. 

I do have a favourite photographer - Gregory Heisler. A true master of light and has an uncanny ability to take photos that convey the mood and personality of the subject. Technically perfect, but he has that extra thing that just makes his images consistently beautiful and powerful. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    equalsql said:
    I was in Birmingham yesterday and took the opportunity to visit its fantastic art gallery to see my favourite picture.

Birmingham Art Gallery displays some amazing classical, world famous pictures by artists such as Ford Madox Brown and Rossetti, however my absolute favourite is a massive landscape hung in the main circular gallery. It is called 'February Fill Dyke' and was painted by the artist Benjamin Williams Leader in 1881. The picture is so large that when you sit in front of it you are almost absorbed into the painted scene. It never fails to fill me with wonder, so powerful is its representation of a cold, wet winter evening in the late 19th century:

https://static.artuk.org/w1200h1200/BRM/BRM_BMAG_1914_P308.jpg

Post up your favourite picture and why it means so much to you

This wonderful piece represents the conflict between good and evil that lurks in the heart of every one of us, It's delicately highlights and contrasts the moral conflicts we face and illustrates the pain, anguish and suffering, as we try to find the divine and righteous path to follow.
    I shared a house with an art student for a bit and when he did a runner on the rent all I had was his 6'x4' painting called Boy With Penis that resembled the picture Randall shared. I hung onto it for a couple of years hoping it might be worth something but MrsTheWeary with her A level in art history persuaded me to bin it.
    She's a big fan of Birmingham art gallery and particularly the pre Raphaelites like Rosetti. It is a great place, mostly free. I've also bumped ( okay, seen from a close distance) into John Sergeant and Prince William in there. John was looking at the Buddha statues and William was being shown around at quite a pace so not looking at anything in particular. It also has Marc Almond's favourite tea room. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    I almost forgot Antonio Lopez, one of the Madrid realists. I am hugely impressed by most of his work.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756

As much as this is very cliched to a non religious person like me its the fine quality of the painting that gets you it much more powerful in real life than on the computer screen.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Having studied history of art, there are way to many styles to pick a favourite!

Having said that, I absolutely love the Joseph Wright picture above (darkened room experiment), it is massive if you actually see it, beautifully detailed and with AMAZING sense of light.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited July 2017

As this is a guitar forum, let's have Holbein's well known painting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ambassadors_(Holbein)

It's the one with the infamous distorted skull across the bottom.  But most relevant right now is the lute, painted in fanatical detail if you look at a high-res versions. (You can even see the quilting of the timber on its back)

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    You don't really have to understand the artist's motivations, inspirations or intentions to appreciate a piece of art.  Just look at it.  If you like it, you like it.  If you don't, you don't.  You'll find about as much pretension in the lyrics of any number of songs, but that doesn't immediately stop you from enjoying the music.

I'm not saying you need to understand the artist's intentions to appreciate a piece of work,  but some art is obviously nothing but pretension, with little or no talent required. One of my friends has just posted a picture on Instagram of an "art installation" in a gallery in Lille. It consists of 10 pairs of wellington boots arranged in a circle. How is that art? 

I've also heard the argument that anything that provokes a reaction should be considered as art. So if I took a shit on the gallery floor would that be an artistic statement? Although  presumably if Damien Hirst did it, it'd somehow be a masterpiece. Good luck if you can get away with calling this nonsense art. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Hokusai is my favourite artist and The Great Wave is my all time favourite piece. It evokes so many different emotions, Hokusai was a genius artist, check out some of his other paintings they are out of this world.

https://i.imgur.com/QLMgWyO.jpg

Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Love the OP's painting, stunning.

I always go and look at this in Glasgows Kelvingrove museum. Glen Massan by Gustave Dore. It's pretty big, so you really don't get the drama of it without seeing in person. Well worth a look if you are ever there.