SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Compression pedal - suitable for bass

I'm after a good quality compressor pedal, primarily to use with bass, but if it'll work well for guitar that'd be a nice bonus. Something that's going to work well in the studio - transparent, decent control over ratio/attack would be nice. What have you got?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Thanks for that, Fazer - do you use this for bass too? Boning up, my impression is it's big on adding shimmery sustain to clean guitars, but I'm wanting something that's going to keep my bottom end tight and clear (ohh-err).
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    i've not used it on bass personally, though this guy's reviews are all on bass i think:
    http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/bearfoot.shtml
    the tone control is subtle and does good things, and the decay knob enables you to dial in/out the sustain, with the comp effecting the attack more
  • It sounds like it'd be ace on guitar and if I were interested purely for guitar I'd take less convincing, but I am concerned that the comp ratio is fixed on these so if there's too much squish for bass I'll be unable to alter it.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    Over the years I've spent thousands on looking for a great bass compressor.

The Marshall ED-1 pedal is amazing, and until you get to Keeley money it's the only one worth looking at. The Keeley 4 knob is excellent - but TBH it's not really worth £150 more than the ED-1

The MXR Bass compressor was really disappointing for me. Yes it's a proper 5 knob but it just sounded pants. MXR still haven't done better than the good old dynacomp.

Marshall ED-1 all the way. I still have my Keeley, but I have 2 ED-1.
  • Thanks for that tip, Fretmeister. Yes looking at the control set on the ED-1 it does appear to tick all boxes for me… I've PM'd you a couple of questions.

Tom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    edited February 2014
    I've used a number of compressors on bass:

Demeter Compulator
    EHX BlackFinger
    Boss CS3
    MXR Super Comp
    Pigtronix Philosophers Tone

It kinda depends what you want the compressor to do, but I like it to even the notes out and drive the front of the amp. I don't use a 5 string or an active bass or anything, and I like my basic sound to be not quite clean. Of the ones I've used the Black Finger probably sounded the best, but it's huge, noisey and needed its own special power supply. The CS3 kinda strangles your low end, but I think it sounds very musical. Ones modded for bass are supposed to fantastic, but again, quite noisey. The MXR Super Comp just wasn't very good. On guitar or bass. The Pigtronix sounds really great, has tons of compresion and sustain on tap and you can add grit, but it's noisey. I love it on guitar though. Of the above the Demeter was probably the best all-rounder, though you could hear it working if that makes sense. Sounded lovely though, and I only sold it becuase I had to.

Am awaitng delivery of a Rothwell Lover Squeeze of a chap on these boards. I'm excited to hear how that soounds. Supposed to be quiet and transparent with no boosting or cutting of your high or low end.

I'm always meaning to pick up an ED-1. They pop up for nothing all the time.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    I use a Toadworks Mr. Squishy, with 4 & r string basses. Its the newer compact model, 3 controls, simple and affective + runs for ages of a 9V duracell.

There cheap if you can find em'
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • Thanks one and all for sharing the wealth - much appreciated. I'm sorted now -- took the pricey route and bought Tunez's Keeley four-knob...
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    i was going to suggest the MXR Custom comp, vintage style tones and a silent as a mouse. No noisey dyna comp action, although it does have internal trim pots which is pain in the bum. Hope you have fun squashing notes :D
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.