Epi Les Paul, "Tsst" Noise

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11741
edited July 2017 in Guitar
Hi All,

Hopefully this is a setup issue.  On my Epi LP Custom Pro, at the higher frets the strings have developed a sort of harmonic "Tsst" noise when pushed down, like a teeeny tiny snare drum.  

Doesn't really pick up the amp but it feels weird, and I'd like to fix it.

The action is (if anything) a bit high and I cant see the strings fouling anywhere.  The one thing I did notice is that the angle between the bridge and tailpiece is very sharp, would raising the tailpiece help?

Any ideas welcome.  Thanks

Edit:  I've already changed strings, and oiled the fret board.  Frets are smooth with no wear.
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Could it be a lumpy fret? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11741
    If there is I couldnt find it!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    It might sound a bit stupid but could it be something on the Headstock, I had a weird problem where the battery inside my clip on tuner was creating weird harmonics. 
    It might sound a bit stupid but could it be something on the Headstock, I had a weird problem where the battery inside my clip on tuner was creating weird harmonics. 
    I don't think so but I will check what is going on around the headstock, thanks.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Pickup heights ? More likely is the classic LP "hump" see if you can find a small straight edge, I'd bet it's about the 15th fret that you'll find a proud fret
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I was watching a youtoob vid the other day and some American guitar fixer dood was saying about fixing his mates guitar and there was a buzz up the fingerboard on some strings. Further investication revealed they were coated strings and the 'G' had tassels of coating hanging off near where the fret wear had gone through. He was not a fan so this validated his dislike of the strings, but a used plain string was swappen in and the problem went away! Can't remember who it was or what the title was can't provide a reference, it just might be a consideration for the OP.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9578
    I think I've experienced some sympathetic vibrations on the saddles/adjusting screws of cheap tuneomatic bridges of various Epis in the past. Try seeing if a finger pressed on each bridge saddle in turn makes it go away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    What test(s) did you perform to identify high/low frets? 

darthed1981 said:
    The angle between the bridge and tailpiece is very sharp, would raising the tailpiece help?
    The length of string between the saddle and the tailpiece should clear the edge of the bridge assembly.

The condition of the bridge saddles could contribute to the problem. Did you make your own string slots or were the saddles pre-slotted from new?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    What test(s) did you perform to identify high/low frets? 

darthed1981 said:
    The angle between the bridge and tailpiece is very sharp, would raising the tailpiece help?
    The length of string between the saddle and the tailpiece should clear the edge of the bridge assembly.

The condition of the bridge saddles could contribute to the problem. Did you make your own string slots or were the saddles pre-slotted from new?

Nothing scientific on the former, just ran my fingers over it when i took the strings off looking for bumps or notches.

I have not checked the second one and that sounds possible, will check that later.  The guitar is less than a year old so everything is unmodified from new.

I normally try to only buy the guitar I'm actually buying, and this is the one time I didn't (as the one in the shop was faulty) and I get "tsst tsst".
  • Did you find out what it was? (Hope so)  Was it the saddle screws by any chance?
    Did you find out what it was? (Hope so)  Was it the saddle screws by any chance?
    Yes a general tightening up and adjustment sorted it out.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    It’s trying to get your attention and whisper something to you ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom