Guitar Cab Advice?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387

Hi guys,

Long time, no post. Looking for some advice on a cab and any comments much appreciated. 

I don’t need to break the bank on one in reality, so don’t need to go high end.

I sold my tube head and cab recently. Cab was a Harley Benton 1x12 with a vintage celestion 30.

My first cab, so nothing really to compare it off while I had it. I had always used combos before.

I got a Quilter 101 mini head recently, and demoed it through a 2x12 Marshall cab, and it sounded pretty good.

I wouldn’t fit a 2x12 cab into every venue I’d play, so it might not be practical to go down this route but has me thinking at the same time...

A wee Quilter head on a 2x12 cab looked a bit odd though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    You can always run a 2x12 cab vertically if there's not enough horizontal floor space.

Very tough to beat the Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30 cabinet for the money. I generally prefer a 2x12 cabinet to a 1x12 myself, it sounds a bit bigger and more open like for like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    Ah ok, so you wouldn't do any damage putting a 2x12 cab vertically? I was wary of this. Well, this could be an option then.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I use my Quilters with a Matrix NL212 which is turned on it's end for cramped gigs. Works fine, sounds great and no one has ever mentioned it looks odd.
    Those Quilters are capable of chucking out some serious power so go conservative on speaker ratings I would say.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    edited July 2017
    Yeah, the Quilter doubles it's power on some settings, so need to keep this in mind. it goes from 50 watts to 100 watts on some settings, so I'm guessing I'd have to get something with a 100 watt capacity? 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    Yeah, the Quilter doubles it's power on some settings, so need to keep this in mind. it goes from 50 watts to 100 watts on some settings, so I'm guessing I'd have to get something with a 100 watt capacity? 

The specification is a bit vague but I would bet 100W would only be delivered into a 4 Ohm load?

That being the case a pair of 16Ohm V30 in parallel would be easily safe enough. If you wanted to extract the absolute maximum then a pair of 8 Ohm units would serve.

If you have to stay with a 1x12 then a single 16R V30 would do, probably even an 8Ohm?

ICBM might have better info. These rating would be marginal for a good 100W VALVE amp!

Dave.