New car conundrum.. Ford Focus Zetec S or Audi A3 Sportback

What's Hot

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    edited July 2017
    I'm a fan of the Golf too. Obviously the top spec GTD is lovely, but the GT is very decently specced too for quite a bit less money.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    I've had both. The Audi was the much better car (nicer to drive, better environment to sit in and more economical), but the boot space was terrible and it had to go when we had our second child, couldn't fit anything in it. I only mention this as you want to fit all your gear in, might be worth taking a guitar in a case with you.

The Focus was good and you should have very few issues with it, boot space aside the Audi was much better
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Dominic said:

Whichever way you look at it, you'll be seen as a cock with an Audi.

WHY ?

You would be seen as a cock in a jacked up Saxo with big wheels and a drainpipe exhaust ......don't get why a very well engineered ,classy and discreet little car like an A3 (Mr Nobody ,entry level Audi ) would generate such a response 
    Only by car-haters or jealous people surely ?

Audi driver, are we?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I've never owned an Audi but I did own a Focus, had it for 4 years and it never let me down once. The only thing it ever needed in all that time was 2 front tyres and that's it. Hope that's been a bit of help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Dominic said:

WHY ?

You would be seen as a cock in a jacked up Saxo with big wheels and a drainpipe exhaust ......don't get why a very well engineered ,classy and discreet little car like an A3 (Mr Nobody ,entry level Audi ) would generate such a response 
    Because in general, Audi drivers have become the new BMW Drivers, and most seem to drive like utter cunts. 

It's a broad statement, yes, but definitely the majority of Audi drivers I come across, are complete and utter knob heads on the road. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    joneve said:
    Dominic said:

WHY ?

Because in general, Audi drivers have become the new BMW Drivers, and most seem to drive like utter cunts. 

It's a broad statement, yes, but definitely the majority of Audi drivers I come across, are complete and utter knob heads on the road. 
    I think it's the other way round, most of the knob heads seem to drive Audis. I don't think it's the car that's the problem. 
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    joneve said:

Unfortunately this is exactly my experience.  It could be that I live in Essex and we have a particular breed of total wanker on the road around here. But when I'm driving in other parts of the country Audi drivers do nothing to dissuade me from this opinion.

I have occasionally theorised that you have BMW, Audi and Mercedes drivers, each of whom need to demonstrate that they chose the correct German luxury car, but I try and avoid having these negative thoughts on the road because it stops me adhering to my rule - when other people act like dicks, don't act like a dick yourself.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    edited July 2017

As an example, I just had a quick look on Auto trader:-

Focus Zetec's 4 years old (2013) <40k miles £7 - 8K

Audi A3's same criteria £11 - 12k

So it really is a question of budget.  Looking at the reliability index, the Focus seems significantly more reliable and cheaper to repair, although this comparison is over a long period, not necessarily cars the age you are looking at.  Pinch of salt required.

EDIT, more recent models, the Audi is more reliable.....

Another option, if you really can afford Audi prices you could get a Focus Zetec S with a year or so manufacturer warranty still on it.

The only downside with the focus is the inclusion of indicators and the fact when you close the door, it doesn't sounds as pleasing as the Audi.

• SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    What about a Mercedes A Class? Those are not bad either. Between the two you listed, Audi hands down.
    edited July 2017
    Golf. Because that's all an A3 is underneath, but at a more sensible price. 

The Focus is fine. But nothing more. Spectacularly functional and dull.

Also worth looking at Seat Leon's.  They are more reliable than both and probably cheaper than both.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 605
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for everyones input so far. 

Reading @menamestom 's reply, and others, it occurred to me that people may not have bothered to read the post + just read the title.
    The model of Focus i'm looking at is the Zetec S, not just a standard focus, and the A3 i'm looking at is the 5dr Sportback, if that makes a difference! I've edited the title now.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4529
    I've driven a new Ford Focus Zetec for the last 3 months or so and it's a smooth drive, holds the road well and has lots of power with 2nd and 3rd gear. Fits in all the family too so would recommend, not driven the A3 though so canny compare
    hassleham said:
    Thanks for everyones input so far. 

Reading @menamestom 's reply, and others, it occurred to me that people may not have bothered to read the post + just read the title.
    The model of Focus i'm looking at is the Zetec S, not just a standard focus, if that makes a difference! I've edited the title now.

I did the search on the Zetec S, I did notice that.  It does make a difference as they are the more powerful engines.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615

So it really is a question of budget.  Looking at the reliability index, the Focus seems significantly more reliable and cheaper to repair, although this comparison is over a long period, not necessarily cars the age you are looking at.  Pinch of salt required.

Another option, if you really can afford Audi prices you could get a Focus Zetec S with a year or so manufacturer warranty still on it.

The only downside with the focus is the inclusion of indicators and the fact when you close the door, it doesn't sounds as pleasing as the Audi.

Value down the line is an important consideration too as shown above, the Audi resale value will be way better
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    You could also look at the Toyota Auris, not too fancy, but solid as a rock. 
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 605
    Okay i've started checking out Golfs as well now.. They do seem good value compared to an A3.
    bazxkr said:

Value down the line is an important consideration too as shown above, the Audi resale value will be way better

Yes but the quickest part of the depreciation is in the first few years, it slows after that.  According to Parkers, the depreciation on the sportier Focus are very good, which the Zetec S may fall into, depending on the engine ~(the 182ps's hold their value very well)

Plus, since the car is being bought on finance, surely paying extra credit on 3k or 4k more offsets any depreciation differences.   Plus since the Audi would cost more, whilst the depreciation may be less as a percentage, you could still lose more money in real terms since the amount you have depreciating could be 50% more.

If the Focus was my 2nd suggestion and a newer model, the rate of depreciation would be quicker than the Audi, but it would be a newer car with less miles, and fault repairs warranty covered.  So that has to be considered.

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    4/5 years is starting to get into big bill territory, so budget for that too...personally I'd go Kia or Hyundai but I'm aware that I'm an utter penis who is despised by the world ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I've had a Focus for just over three years. Comfortable, quiet, reliable, great handling - cheap to run, etc.

Obviously had I been able to afford an A3, I'd have had one instead.

Given that I'm a cock anyway, I'd rather be one with an Audi than a Ford.... 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited July 2017
    Loved my old Focus, would have kept on going had I not smashed it. Would have gone for new Focus had it had a decent boot but alas they have shrunk it on most recent models.

I bought a Seat Leon instead. I know that it shares a platform with A3 and Golf. All i'll say is; check that the Audi has mult link rear suspension. Seat don't fit it on cars with less than 140 bhp. Compared to my old Focus, the 2014 Seat Leon  ride is agricultural.

The 1.4 petrol engine is a joy, the LED headlights are great....these are same on Audi.