New car conundrum.. Ford Focus Zetec S or Audi A3 Sportback

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    edited July 2017
    I would also recommend the Seat Leon. Its a very similar car mechanically. I had one for a few weeks around Christmas as a hire car and it was good. Spacious, good to drive, plenty of kit, big boot. A lot cheaper than an Audi or Golf, and arguably just as good.

I'd second the petrol recommendation. Diesels are not good value unless you do tons of miles, and you'll probably get a better deal on petrol second hand too. Its a cleaner better fuel. The Seat diesel engine is a bit old fashioned too.

Nothing wrong with a Focus either, just make sure its a newer one, good cars. Had those on hire too, no complaints.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an A3, I donm't think you get enough for your money.

Afterthought - what about a latest generation Mini? Not sure about budget,but they are brilliant cars, and the new one is quite big, possibly comparable to an A3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Another vote for the Leon. You could get an FR or Cupra second hand for a good price, I'm sure. Great cars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4679
    joneve said:
    Another vote for the Leon. You could get an FR or Cupra second hand for a good price, I'm sure. Great cars.

Cupra, now you're talking!
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Diesels are on the way out. Might not be this side of 2025 but in the interim if you're needing to drive into a big city sometime soon then expect to be hit with a NOx tax. IT IS coming. It might only affect Euro5 engines and older at first but sure as eggs is eggs once the fuss has died down Euro6 diesels will get hit too. And the knock on will be low resale prices on diesels because people will stop buying them new or secondhand.

Get a petrol, UNLESS you are self employed or business owner and using the car legitimately for work then the Capital Allowances get a big hit for vehicles over 130g/km, virtually forcing people running bigger cars onto diesels. This will change when the Government decide they have to do something about persuading people to go hybrid or petrol.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    The Volkswagen Audi Group 1.2/1.4 litre TSi petrol engine is one of their better offerings. Chuck on a small turbo booster, tune it up and the result is very enjoyable.

I have owned a succession of Golf-derived cars. My current one is an oversized, four-wheel drive, 170bhp Diesel monster. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Of the two I'd go for the Focus. Less expensive and more fun to drive. If the Audi has the sport suspension I've found it very uncomfortable.
    I would go for a VW over an Audi personally.
    Don't bother with a diesel unless you do at least 12000 miles a year, it's false economy.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16077
    Dominic said:

Whichever way you look at it, you'll be seen as a cock with an Audi.

WHY ?

You would be seen as a cock in a jacked up Saxo with big wheels and a drainpipe exhaust ......don't get why a very well engineered ,classy and discreet little car like an A3 (Mr Nobody ,entry level Audi ) would generate such a response 
    Only by car-haters or jealous people surely ?

Audi driver, are we?
    No, Aston Martin.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Seat Leon FR, Mazda 3 MPS, Golf GTI, all cheaper than the Audience and better than the ford. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    What sort of mileage do you do in a year? I'd be looking at leasing if it's under 10k a year.

If you drive a manual you should be able to get something on a 2/3 year lease that breaks down to:

~ £1500 deposit
    ~ £165/month lease 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 878
    Nobody seems to have mentioned Skodas yet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    What's your budget?
    Whats your annual mileage?
    You don't mention trim level on the Audi just 5 door sportback. 
    Which engine are you considering they both come in 3 variants in petrol and diesel depending how fast you like to drive.

Extras ?
    Appearance pack and Navigation are a must on the focus? 
    S Line trim on Audi with nav 

Running costs. Audi parts and services are more expensive and insurance costs.
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    edited July 2017
    I drove an A3 for a while.  The 1.4 150 HP cylinder on demand engine is one of the nicest engines I have ever had. Nippy but at least as efficient as a diesel. When I did the comparisons the A3 worked out cheaper than the Golf because that engine was only available in the GT
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33778
    Do you want it cheap? Get the Ford.

Do you want to carry a lot of stuff, have a premium brand and don't care much about driving dynamics: Get the A3.

Do you not care so much about boot space but want something awesomely fast that responds like it on rails: Get an M135i/M140i :)
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    In terms of re-sale value, wouldn't an enthusiast be after a Ford Focus S rather than the same car everyone else in the world who has a bit of cash drives?  I mean, the amount of people at my work who drive Audi's is crazy, mainly people who can't afford to so work two jobs...

Now that's probably a testament to what a great car they are mechanically and aesthetically but Audi, to me, and I know this is a snobbish thing to say, is a car people own to make a statement but how can you make that statement when you've got the same motor as most people with a bit of disposable income and have bought a car.  Just being honest here but Audi's round here kind of say "posh chav".

Now if you're driving an R8 or something then of course you have the dough to show you're someone in the upper echelons of the tax brackets ;)

That's something that's put me off of A1 - A3 versions of Audi's no matter how superbly they drive.  If it were me, like the others I would probably get a VW because Audi is owned by VW along with Skoda, Seat etc and it's pretty much the same internals just a different badge. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    I had a 12 plate A3 Quattro tdi  for 4 years as a company car. Treated it appallingly and it never once had any reliability issues at all. Great fun to drive as well. Boot wasn't the biggest and it hardly came with extras but a nice motor.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3581
    revsorg said:
    Nobody seems to have mentioned Skodas yet.
    I did on the first page. VAG own skoda and SEAT so those offerings are the same as the German brands but usually using 3 year older technology (thus tried and tested and plenty of spares availability for aftermarket wearing parts).

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    The Octavia is a bigger car, especially the latest shape. The Rapid is a bit smaller but possibly not as nicely finished as a Focus and definitely Audi.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

VAG.

Snigger.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    edited July 2017
    There's more status involved with the Audi and residuals would be stronger, however the Focus is said to be pretty decent to drive.

As you are currently in a Fiesta, test drive a Fiesta ST, even if it isn't a consideration due to practical reasons. It'll put a smile on your face.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4679
    celentium said:

As you are currently in a Fiesta, test drive a Fiesta ST, even if it isn't a consideration due to practical reasons. It'll put a smile on your face.
    There should be some good deals as well on the Fiesta ST, as the new 3 cylinder model is due out next year.