Re-covering old ground

What's Hot
mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

This weekend I've started recovering some basics of guitar*.

It's a lot of fun.

And I'm sure my technique needed it.

10 minutes, and no more on any one particular bit, move on. So far I've re-covered a load of stuff I'd forgotten, and techniques I hadn't actually practised in a long time.

*With a book I hadn't previously worked through.

The whole restudy and recap is down to @viz and @bigjon getting me out to jams, and me feeling a little under gunned in the playing dept.......Thanks guys

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10689
    Sounds interesting - what's the book and what are you covering?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

It's the one of the Mel Bay "Rock guitar" ones.

3 books in one.

So far it's pentatonics and basic techniques - picking legato etc. I'm doing it more to boost my techniques rather than relearn everything. It has (briefly) covered the Dorian mode/scale, but is mostly pentatonics. I'm making sure everything I do I do in a few keys so I'm not in Am all the time.....

I'll alternate between that and the "Prog rock" book and the Troy Stetina books to (hopefully) get more proficient at playing.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

@viz ; I shall also put your scale stuff to good use in the next few weeks, and apply it to what I'm recovering at the moment..

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I still have a folder of Phil Hilborne's Guitarist Magazine technique columns from the late 80s, which was the first serious practice I ever did, I break it out now and then when I'm bored with my current practice routine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    Sounds interesting - what's the book and what are you covering?

This is the book

http://www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/01067373/details.html

• I'm learning to read music at the moment and i've found that to be a tremendous help to my technique as I am having to play everything slowly. Sloppy playing shows up when you're playing at 60 bpm.
    In jazz, no one can hear you scream
    Agreed Jonny, I got the metronome out the other night, I was (uncomfortably) surprised at how far our my timing was, especially on parts/exercises I know (Ie triplet picking)