Your Favourite Session Players - Riffs, Solos & Rhythm Playing

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 982
edited July 2017 in Music
For me this one is one of my favourite bits of rhythm playing, just love the choice of chords & guitar tone. I think it was David Williams that played this, but I might be wrong.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Here's the link to the video:

You must have edited your post, man. There's a forum bug on here that converts video links to .jpgs when you do that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited July 2017
    Great example and I do believe that was the late, great David Williams. Apparently, that was lifted from the demo as it was perfect and he liked to go directly into the desk to get his sound with added compression.

My favourite session players are as follows:-

Larry Carlton - Steely Dan's "Kid Charlemagne" and his work on their albums & those of The Crusaders and Donald Fagen's "Nightfly" (Ruby Ruby)

Steve Lukather - take your pick. I love his solo on Chicago's "Hard to say I'm sorry" but an oddball one is his solo on Olivia Newton John's "Physical". Actually, Andy Timmons is ON-J's tour guitarist and check out his live solo from a Seoul concert in 2000.

Michael Thompson, Dann Huff, Tim Pierce & Robbie McIntosh - Various stuff

Nile Rodgers - he played on a lot of the albums that he produced (Bowie, Duran Duran).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Cheers DLM I did edit it and forget to copy and paste the link again 
    Kebabkid said:

Tim Pierce 

Remember seeing a video talking about playing the guitar solo (starts at 2.40) on Bon Jovis Runaway song

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    Not a fan of session guitarists, bassists however!

Tony Levin
    Pino Palladino
    etc
    Not a fan of session guitarists, bassists however!

Tony Levin
    Pino Palladino
    etc
    Get out!  Only joking, I think that Pino Palladino played (amongst many others) on John Mayer Trios TRY! live album 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Another vote for Steve Lukather. Absolute lad. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    I'm gonna go a bit out into the wild and say Steve Jones, very tight player when recording Never Mind the Bollocks, even Bill Price said he was so tight in the studio he had very little sustain and echo!
  • Steve Cropper has to be worth a mention. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6480
    I'm gonna go a bit out into the wild and say Steve Jones, very tight player when recording Never Mind the Bollocks, even Bill Price said he was so tight in the studio he had very little sustain and echo!
    Steve Jones - a session musician?! 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    He played bass on NMTB so he was his own session bassist! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I'll have to say Tony Levin, I love the sound of the fretless bass and he is the master of it.
    If we're talking bassists, I'll put Guy Pratt in there alongside Pino Palladino but yes to Tony Levin. Great work with Crimson but great bass part on Kate Bush's "Don't Give Up"
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    Kebabkid said:
    Great example and I do believe that was the late, great David Williams. Apparently, that was lifted from the demo as it was perfect and he liked to go directly into the desk to get his sound with added compression.

My favourite session players are as follows:-

Steve Lukather - take your pick. I love his solo on Chicago's "Hard to say I'm sorry" but an oddball one is his solo on Olivia Newton John's "Physical". Actually, Andy Timmons is ON-J's tour guitarist and check out his live solo from a Seoul concert in 2000.
    This is my favourite Luke "session" jam -
    @Whitecat - there's some good work by him, Landau and Paul Jackson Jr (how could i have left him off my session list - from George Benson, Luther Vandross, Michael Jackson and many more) on Fee Waybill's solo "Read My Lips" album. Of it's time re:song-writing and sounds but a great album
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    Awesome, gonna check it out!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    One guitarist called Pete Glenister springs to mind - he played on this live recording of Terence Trent D'Arby singing a classic... note the section from 1:15 to 1:45 in particular - nice little divebomb at the end! :D Lovely guitar playing, not sure about the overblown vocals though.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • fobfob Frets: 1430

I'll sneak this in under 'Rhythm Playing'

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    Sly and Robbie probably qualify as well.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    What Eric said haha