Chester Bennington from Linkin Park is dead

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    Hybrid Theory was a phenomenal album every song on it was a hit! What sad news. Anyone know the root cause? Depression maybe?
    I know he'd struggled with depression since before they became famous - I think it was bipolar disorder.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    He was abused as a child. 
    Also, he was apparently close with Chris cornell (who's birthday it would have been today) 

There are a lot of demons there 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    Very shocked and saddened by the news. As a teen I would learn the drop c# riffs on Hybrid Theory which was the in-thing at the time in the 2000's. A great vocalist and a big loss.
  • I used to listen to their live in texas gig all the time. Really shocked and sad about this. :( 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22712
    Well gosh, that is a shock.  I was a fan of their first album (like many of us, apparently) but I haven't really followed their subsequent career and I had no idea he was such a troubled person.  Very sad news.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    Broken to hear of this. 

First band I ever got into in my teens. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    Philly_Q said:
    Well gosh, that is a shock.  I was a fan of their first album (like many of us, apparently) but I haven't really followed their subsequent career and I had no idea he was such a troubled person.  Very sad news.

I think I read about his troubles with depression and the abuse about 10 years ago...I remember thinking, "That guy needs help, or it's only a matter of time...". He got help, I think, but sadly...it wasn't enough :(
    <space for hire>
    Loved this guy. From his Linkin park, to grey daze, to his small acting parts in bith crank films. 

Absolutely sad about this. Man I can't believe it.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    I'm a fan... like most my favourites are Hybrid Theory and Meteora, but I've got pretty much every album they've released and like some tracks on everything across their various styles. The guy had a super distinctive voice and delivery. One of my favourites for sure.

I can only hope that discussions about mental health provoked by such sad events can be a positive thing for someone who needs to seek help... if that makes sense. RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Never been a fan of LP but I love Shadow of the Day. He was very close to Chris Cornell, he was godfather to one of his children. If only he had heeded Tom Morello's eulogy at CC's funeral, he pleaded for those present to reach out for help if they ever felt low. Chester sang Hallelujah at the funeral.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Such sad news. He was a phenomenal singer.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Doesn't matter how rich and famous, or poor and obscure you are, mental illness can and will lead to tragedies like this. Money in the bank and fame aren't even remotely relevant if you have this type of imbalance.

Same as when cycling superstar Dave Mirra (multiple X-Games BMX Gold medalist, multi millionaire with a beautiful wife and kids, "the Mirra-cle boy") went out to a car park and shot himself.

And yet we are still hearing the phrase that we need to "man-up" from some quarters (not here thankfully). Maybe everyone else needs to "human-up" and look towards how we can help people with a real need?

Very sad to hear of the loss of another genuinely talented performer.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    Seems he took his own life, sad. RIP
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    WTF ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Two threads in tributes already by the way
    I know, I didnt see the new tributes page either! 

This is indeed very sad. Actually the first death thats got me choked :/
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    SIx kids and a wife who will now be scarred for life. Very tragic. He must have been so desparate.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Very sad indeed, can't say I was a massive fan but I did like Hybrid theory a lot at the time. Tragic loss
    It's interesting...for all the fact that Linkin Park were reviled by a lot of the rock and metal community for being nu-metal/emo/whatever, I've seen more people upset about his death on Facebook than about Chris Cornell.

I also feel a little guilty that it took something like this to make me rediscover how much I love Hybrid Theory and Meteora.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Merged a couple more threads in here...
    <space for hire>