S/C pickups, help me decide......

What's Hot
daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
So, have the 'ideal strat' build quietly ticking along at the moment but I've reached a dead end trying to decide which pups to put in. My fave choices so far, although Ive not looked past Seymour Duncan, are the SSL-3s or SSL1/5 hybrid set. I want a versatile guitar, its looking at being used for everything from heavy rock to funk, even a bit of new country/Americana, for example bands like Aerosmith, Skynyrd, Stones, Faces, Chic, RHCP, Raconteurs. Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Personally I'd got for something a bit more vintage style.  You can always add gain from pedals (like Gilmour).

My main Strat has Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots in it.  If you use DC resistance as a guide, then the neck and middle are around 6kOhms, and the bridge around 6.8kOhms compared with something like 5.7kOhms for vintage spec pickups.  They have a bit more beef to them but they are still vintage in character.  They aren't so hot that you lose the classic Strat sparkle.

I bought the Fralins years ago.  There are a lot more home grown options now that would be a lot cheaper than Fralin.  Something like Oil City Triple Blues would be similar.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    Lollar Blackface if you want true single coils and not hum cancelling ones.

Superb pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Tell us about the woods in your Strat build. It may influence pickup recommendations.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    edited July 2017
    Defo not hum cancelling, and its a swamp ash body, using Wudtone to finish it. The neck is all maple

Single coils have never really been my thing, although I have owned strats and frequently had HSS superstrats. Probably the only ones I've had I've come close to liking were the Fender CS69s in a 60s classic player strat I had a while back. Its only recently I've really come to appreciate the sound. 
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Just FWIW - for one of my strat builds, I got an alnico 2 set made that are hot wound (neck and middle) around 7.3K, bridge 8.5K, but tapped at a more vintage wind i.e. 5.7K ish neck/middle, 6.4K bridge. I really like them anyhow - to be honest, even for clean sounds I mostly use the hot output, as it just sounds a bit bigger and fatter and the extra output is useful - the difference between the hot and vintage settings is subtler than one might imagine, but it's nice to be able to switch to a lighter, crisper, vintage-type strat tone when desired.

Also I do think the alnico 2 magnet poles help with getting a warm, sweet sounding version of strat tone - it's still very stratty, but perhaps not quite as edgy and bright as some pickups. A while ago I bought a couple of the steel base plates from Oil City, and I plan to try these on the bridge and neck pickups - but it's a nice-sounding guitar as it is.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    My two current sets are SD Antiquity IIs with an SSL-5 bridge and Oil City Stonetones. I also alternate the Stonetone bridge with an Oil City prototype I got from here (bigger poles and hot). I can't remember if it ever came out officially @TheGuitarWeasel . Great pickup though. 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4685

I generally like slightly higher output pickups, I find less than 6k can be a little thin and bright (I struggled with CS69's) for that reason.   Of course you can turn your tone control down a little to tame the brightness, but it's not the same as a higher output pickup.

Axesrus do an interesting range, but also see the thread about the cheap solderless Fender pickups.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    My fave Strat pickups of all time are the Mojo/Wudtone ones with Alnico 5 slugs under the bass strings and Alnico 2 under the treble ones. In conjunction with a baseplate on the bridge unit, these are just the best sounding I've ever heard.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30880
    Grey back's from 63 to 69 - unbeatable. Or, the Fralin equiv of them.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4256
    Always enjoyed Fralins in the past, had in a few strat (and Tele) builds and been great. Only thing better for me have been Rocketfire Total 60's. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Bare Knuckle Apaches are good because their strong tone can be tamed nicely with the Volume and Tone controls.  I'm also a sucker for Lace Sensors, all Golds, or especially Blue in the neck and Burgundy in the middle.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3817
    edited July 2017
    CloudNine said:
    Always enjoyed Fralins in the past, had in a few strat (and Tele) builds and been great. Only thing better for me have been Rocketfire Total 60's. 
    Yep, agree with @CloudNine ;. Rocketfire Total 60's are the best I've found after a long search too. They remain in my strat. Hard to get hold of now though I believe.

If I were you, I'd skip the big companies like Fralin / SD and opt for something handwound from the likes of Mojo or Oil City from this parish. Ring them up, tell them what you want/like, guitar wood etc, take their recommendation and live happily ever after. Simples. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I have DiMarzio HS-2 and HS-3 in different superstrats. Both are really "stratty" in tone and sound fantastic either clean (think Marshall clean, not Fender clean) or shit-your-pants dirty.
    Both are noise cancelling but retain the single coil sound.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    What about the Seymour Duncan Fury pickups?
  • MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    impmann said:
    My fave Strat pickups of all time are the Mojo/Wudtone ones with Alnico 5 slugs under the bass strings and Alnico 2 under the treble ones. In conjunction with a baseplate on the bridge unit, these are just the best sounding I've ever heard.
    I have these in my number 1 also- pure magic and rather unique, Presumably similar to the fabled Ron Ellis 50/60s which I’ve never had a chance to play but which do have various demos on YT...
    ...one thing though impmann, presumably you meant to say Alnico 3 not 2 under the unwound strings...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

• MarshallMarshall Frets: 362

Lebarque said:
    CloudNine said:
    Yep, agree with @CloudNine ;. Rocketfire Total 60's are the best I've found after a long search too. They remain in my strat. Hard to get hold of now though I believe.

If I were you, I'd skip the big companies like Fralin / SD and opt for something handwound from the likes of Mojo or Oil City from this parish. Ring them up, tell them what you want/like, guitar wood etc, take their recommendation and live happily ever after. Simples. 
    Like what I’ve managed to hear of the Rocketfires

Sage advice imo re: skipping the big companies and opting for handwound closer to home ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

• westwest Frets: 996
    Suhr v60lp's / Lollar Blackface ......
  • westwest Frets: 996