SG pickup replacement ideas?

What's Hot
adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
edited July 2017 in Guitar
I have a 2010 SG special which I really like. Probably has the fattest neck of any of my guitars.

I think the pickups (not 100% positive) are 490R and 490T. But I am not sure if I like them they are a bit muddy. Or is just a characteristic of an SG?

My Les Paul studio has a 490R and I really like it. 

what would you recommend? I like classic rock mainly.

on a side note when did Gibson start using the quick connect system? the wiring in the SG is with connectors but they don't look like the modern style on my Les Paul studio and les paul junior. Do the quick connect stuff work with this set up?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I like p90s in an SG myself, so some HB size p90s would give you something different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Might consider that. 

I love the sound of the P90 on my Junior, I love the growl and how it cleans up with the volume turned down. 

• dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 147
    The 57 classics in my standard sound good to me.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029
    edited July 2017
    How hot a set of pickups are you looking for?

If it's more classic rock then Oil city do the Bean-o or the PAT 63 pickups and they might be worth a look.

OX4 low wind's humbuckers are nice too!

If you are looking for something hotter - the Oil City Blackbirds are amazing, should cover pretty much any style from blues to metal.

Both pickup makers are on here and made in the UK too
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    underdog said:
    I like p90s in an SG myself, so some HB size p90s would give you something different.
    This ^. P90s in an SG have some sort of magical connection and just work beautifully together. They don't sound thin, they just have more clarity and bite than a humbucker. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    I detested the original pickups in my SG - muddy and indistinct.

I swapped them for Classic 57s and its a *LOT* better. I know plenty of folks don't like Classic 57s though, but they work for me. The original pickups are in a drawer...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    SGs tend to be a bit brighter than Les Pauls?  I don't find them muddy at all.  Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set is worth a look, spanky neck, fat bridge
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    This is something I've been considering for my 2016 Faded too. Mine has the same 490R/490T set and I find the neck pretty muddy sounding. I am really interested in humbucker sized P90s but am also afraid of somehow ruining my guitar, as I totally love it and that's meant I've kept it totally stock so far... The only niggle sound-wise is the neck pickup. Even then, I don't dislike it as such, I just wonder if it could be better.

Again, it's classic rock and blues I try to play.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    andyp said:
    This is something I've been considering for my 2016 Faded too. Mine has the same 490R/490T set and I find the neck pretty muddy sounding. I am really interested in humbucker sized P90s but am also afraid of somehow ruining my guitar, as I totally love it and that's meant I've kept it totally stock so far... The only niggle sound-wise is the neck pickup. Even then, I don't dislike it as such, I just wonder if it could be better.

Again, it's classic rock and blues I try to play.
    Go for it. Changing out pickups won't ruin it.  ;) It'd be easy enough to put back to stock if you don't like the results or want to sell it on for any reason. I put a set of Mojo HB sized P90s in mine and have never regretted it. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Cheers. I think I'll enter Phase 2 now... "Which ones do I go for?" I'l go and check some sound clips too and see what's what.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited July 2017
    It is funny how one person can say they hate a pickup, and in the following post someone can say they love it. One person calls it muddy, the next says it has loads of clarity...

Write a bunch of pickup brands & models on pieces of paper, cut them up, put them into a hat, shuffle them about, pull out one piece of paper, whatever is written on the paper is the pickup to buy. This method is probably equally useful as asking for other peoples opinions on pickups.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Jack_ said:
    It is funny how one person can say they hate a pickup, and in the following post someone can say they love it. One person calls it muddy, the next says it has loads of clarity...

Write a bunch of pickup brands & models on pieces of paper, cut them up, put them into a hat, shuffle them about, pull out one piece of paper, whatever is written on the paper is the pickup to buy. This method is probably equally useful as asking for other peoples opinions on pickups.
    TBH, the standard fit pickups in the SG Special do sound muddy to most - especially that neck unit. Stick them in another guitar and they are probably totally different.  I've been told that they were voiced to give the guitar more 'fatness' when using gain - as this sells guitars! ;-) Personally speaking, the neck pickup on my SG Special wasn't so much fat - it just was honky, and lacking clarity at low volumes or gain levels. That totally went away when I swapped them for Classic 57s
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Yes different pickups suit different guitars, 57 classics in an LP are a hit bland, in a 335 they are wonderful.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    edited July 2017
    I really like the bridge Burstbucker 2 that came with mine. I swapped the neck Burstbucker 1 for a Duncan '59 I have I bought used a good few years that for some inexplicable reason sounds amazing in anything.
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    I have an very early 90's standard that had a bridge pickup die. I replaced both with a set of shed pafs and the transformation was night and day. We compared it to a friends VOS sg from the custom shop which has always sounded massively better than my standard. We both agreed that after the pickup swap, my standard sounded better. I couldn't reccomend them enough.