Excellent podcast "no guitar is safe"

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
I recently found the podcast "no guitar is safe" and I am finding them very good indeed. They run to about 1.5 hours and each one is basically an interview with a guitarist, guitar in hand for the odd bit of playing. 

I started off just grabbing 4 with players that interest me, and they have all been excellent - Satriani, John 5, Steve Stevens and Richie Kotzen. Richie Kotzen is such a great guy, you really want to hang out with him. I love one of his stories, Kent Stanfield at the Baked Potato. For those that don't know, Kent is an alter ego that Richie adopts for fun! He puts in goofy bad looking teeth that make him talk differently, wears grubby old work clothes and just wanders around pretending to be Kent. Another time he adopted a british accent all summer because .... well why not!

Anyway, well worth a listen. I do them in 30 minute stints when on boring gym equipment. Perfect to take your mind off of dull exercise!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Well done, I've been wanting to start a thread on this podcast specifically for ages as we didn't have one. I listened to the new Tommy Emmanuel episode last night, which – as a sweaty metalhead – was very humbling. The Laurence Juber episode had a similar effect.

Jude Gold really is no slouch himself, either.

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Looks interesting - can these be downloaded as MP3s, instead of streaming? (my player doesn't stream it's just a simple mp3 player.)
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    i listened to the Nita Headley one last week whilst cutting the grass, decent 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    I bet John 5 was interesting
    @Dominic His episode on the Jasta Show was also highly enlightening. Ahem. ;)
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    I really enjoyed the Robben Ford one.  Can anybody explain what he means by learning all the triads for a scale?
    It really struck me how meta culture is becoming when Marc Maron appeared. I got into the car a few times and was not sure which podcast I was listening to.
    Marc Maron's WTF is great for his interviews of musicians
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Ravenous said:
    Looks interesting - can these be downloaded as MP3s, instead of streaming? (my player doesn't stream it's just a simple mp3 player.)
    They're all on soundcloud if that helps? You can stream them on your phone or computer

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Ravenous said:
    yes, I went to iTunes podcasts and downloaded them to my computer. From there I swapped them onto my iPod. Just grabbed another 6 to keep me going.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    The Jeff Kollman one has been my favourite so far.   Steve Stevens is great too.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I use Podcast Addict and it can d/l them when you do have wifi and then you have them for when you want to listen and there's no data/4g/wifi :) Love these podcasts - Jude Gold is a killer player too so the jams are amazing Allen Hinds, Kotzen, Satch were all great - Brad Gillis one was amazing - hearing his stories and the insane aggressive style he plays with.

Andy Wood one was really interesting too. Just don't rule any out as they may not be "your" style of music.

My favourite ones are where they speak to the top session guys or guys from Letterman or the Tonight Show etc - some great insight into that life. Toshi Yanagi and Jared Scharff being 2 of these guys

Avoid - only 2 for me have been awful - Danielle Gottardo (altho I like his playing) and Lita Ford one was awful.

Still loads to listen to tho! They pass the time on the commute or on way to gigs :)

• DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    I really enjoyed the Robben Ford one.  Can anybody explain what he means by learning all the triads for a scale?
    Basically the chord scale in C:

Cmaj, Dmin, Emin, Fmaj, Gdom, Amin, Bdim

Then you can add the sevenths and build it up from there.

Its a great podcast, there's been some that I'm not keen on, but you just skip them. I've learned a great deal and laughed tonnes.  GuitarWank is another good podcast, really not safe for work though! 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    They are great, I found the one with Princes guitarist most interesting, but you can quite easily skip the first 10-15 mins without hitting the actual interview, Jude Gold is a great player and a good interviewer, but good god he can waffle.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    Danji said:
    Basically the chord scale in C:

Cmaj, Dmin, Emin, Fmaj, Gdom, Amin, Bdim

Then you can add the sevenths and build it up from there.

Its a great podcast, there's been some that I'm not keen on, but you just skip them. I've learned a great deal and laughed tonnes.  GuitarWank is another good podcast, really not safe for work though! 
    I listened to the first 6-8 months of guitar wank and found it entertaining, but after a while it's just the same old shit, Scott hates bad sound guys, Bruce hates drummers, Troy claims to know nothing......

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Owen Barry is another great player that I discover from NGIS.  
    Owen Barry is another great player that I discover from NGIS.  
    I remember him winning YGOTY. 
    I listened to the first 6-8 months of guitar wank and found it entertaining, but after a while it's just the same old shit, Scott hates bad sound guys, Bruce hates drummers, Troy claims to know nothing......
    @professorben There's been some good stuff recently, though: Smitty, Dweezil :sunglasses: 
    Oh Dweezil??

edited July 2017
    @Professorben  Yeah, A two-parter so far, maybe more to come. Guests always get different stuff out of the two old curmudgeons. love
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    IMO NGIS is a cut above the other music related podcasts I've heard- mostly down to the fact that Jude Gold is a proper journalist and a pretty impressive player, and the concept would be very difficult for a DIY bedroom podcast without Gold's industry contacts and Guitar Player's clout to replicate. 

And yeah, very few of them have been bad. Some more interesting than others, but all very well put together.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    Listened to the Laurence Juber podcast and was really impressed. Fantastic player with very deep knowledge  of guitars and tone.
    I knew little about him but he has some fantastic stories about his days playing sessions.

Recommended, especially to anyone sceptical about tone woods or hide glue.