fender hot rod deluxe 111 as a pedal platform

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15923
edited February 2014 in Amps

high settings of the MASTER and lower setting/volume on the VOLUME control ..........would this be the best way for "cleans" outta one of these HRs, and would this be the best way to operate/set your ODs through the clean channel?

you got one, how does it sound, and how do you run your pedals through it?

oh I forgot to mention....does the master volume affect the rhythm channel or is it only for the drive channel?

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have one, the master volume affects the drive channel, the clean channel has a volume for itself. Presumably so you can match the volumes and switch between the two. I like the clean channel by itself for "clean", as in what I'd call clean, different folks and different strokes etc. if you mean drive pedals, id say the clean channel takes them better, or the drive channel at low gain is also good. If you mean mod pedals the loop does what it should. I like mine
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Yes, the "Master" volume on these amps (like many) is not a master, it's a volume for the dirty channel.

Be careful with using the Bright switch with distortion and fuzz pedals or that can sound fizzy or harsh, otherwise it's pretty straightforward to get a good sound out of them.

If you want maximum flexibility and want to use the amp's dirty channel(s) as well, do the opposite of what you expect - dial it in for the More Drive (if you're going to use that, or the Drive if not) and let the cleaner sounds take care of themselves - the Drive channel is much fussier with the EQ and if you dial it in for the best clean sound initially it will be harder to make it sound good dirty. You also want to keep the drive control low, probably under halfway - it has too much range really.

(While you probably wouldn't anyway…) Don't put any drive pedals in the FX loop, it can make the amp self-oscillate - you won't hear it but it may kill the Send/Return chip.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• If it is the three with the more linear clean vol kong then it should be fine to run pedals into it as it has plenty of head room. The older amps you will not get much past no 3 with drive pedals or multi effects before you are fully driving the power stage. Multi effects or a volume pedal would be a good idea as volume differences are kind of exaggerated.