I have reached the "I honestly don't care" age

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
edited July 2017 in Off Topic
It's time for our two cars to be replaced. We are both high mileage drivers - me even more so. 

Missus wants an SUV thing to replace the X-Trail to ferry dogs and other associated bulky women's shit around. Fair enough. I've now sat in more SUVs than a Chelsea Mum.

However, after a string of boring sensible cars I thought "fuck it" and tested the new MX5. Five years ago I would have been worried by hairdresser and mid life crisis jibes. Now, I don't care. I liked it. A lot. I've had a GT86 in the past and this was an awful lot better for about 2/3 the money.

I am now enjoying my new found "don't give a fuck what others think" ness
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    It is a release isnt it mate ?

Im 50 years of age on Tuesday and reached your point a few years ago !

Great car by the way... i hope i always own a cab. Get put on a summers night as it gets dark - awesome 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Wait till the honeymoon period is gone and missus will jump on your ass like there's no tomorrow!

;-)
    Enjoy the new car man. And freedom. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Well we have decided to have a sleep and think on it, but I'm pretty much there with the MX5.

She is considering the CX-5 a lot - if she does, I shall enjoy going into the showroom and trying to do a deal on two cars at the same time ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    edited July 2017
    I am now enjoying my new found "don't give a fuck what others think" ness

Good for you mate. Fly those colours with pride.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    I'll have a number 3 around the back and sides, but don't take too much off the top please.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    SimonC said:
    I'll have a number 3 around the back and sides, but don't take too much off the top please.
    Something for the weekend, sir?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited July 2017
    @Bridgehouse can I get an appointment for a short-back and sides......

Some fucker was going to do it, might as well be me......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I'll pop round for a trim if you open after 2pm on a Saturday because NONE OF THE LAZY BASTARDS IN MY TOWN DO!!!

The hairdresser jokes aside there's a reason it's always on the best small sports car list, I'm not that into cars but really like the look of the latest one. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited July 2017
    Maybe people will just ask if it is your wife's car? Good on you. Never owned one, but admire your stance.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited July 2017
    See I think this is actually a disguised "care too much" what people think.

I used to have relatively nice, interesting cars, now I drive a Passat, that really is not caring what others think!

Oh and a small marraige tip - don't call your wife a bulky women
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435

I'd have one of the hardtop versions for sunny weekends, though I did have a TT in years gone by.

But I'm not so sure that I'd want something quite so small for "high mileages".  For an everyday high miler, I'd want comfort, a big engine and auto.  And relax ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    TTony said:

I'd have one of the hardtop versions for sunny weekends, though I did have a TT in years gone by.

Hence your user name I guess ony. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    If you don't want Jap reliability you could always go for the Spider 124. I saw one the other day and must admit to doing a double take.

The bird driving it wasn't bad either  ;)

Previously known as stevebrum
    TTony said:

But I'm not so sure that I'd want something quite so small for "high mileages".  For an everyday high miler, I'd want comfort, a big engine and auto.  And relax ...
    More comfy than I thought it would be. I'm used to doing high miles in uncomfortable cars and this isn't as bad as many. 

The tin top version is a targa top and the wind noise is a bit intrusive - it's also heavier, more money, doesn't handle as well and more cramped inside. Apart from that..

Have also found that no matter how comfortable a car I go for I end up feeling just about the same at the end of a long drive. Maybe I'm just weird (or used to it)
    Iamnobody said:
    If you don't want Jap reliability you could always go for the Spider 124. I saw one the other day and must admit to doing a double take.

The bird driving it wasn't bad either  ;)

Same chassis, running gear engine etc I believe...? Looks nice ;)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    viz said:
    TTony said:

Hence your user name I guess
    Spot on @viz!

Have also found that no matter how comfortable a car I go for I end up feeling just about the same at the end of a long drive. Maybe I'm just weird (or used to it)
    I used to have to do 600 mile round trips in a day to the Lakes.  From Suffolk.  In my old 2.5 TDi A6 (now in the caring hands of @Monquixote ) I'd know that I'd done the journey when I got back home, but I'd not be suffering at the end of it.  Effortless.

In a 2 seater soft sports car ... hmmmmmmm ....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    viz said:
    TTony said:

Hence your user name I guess
    Spot on @viz!

I used to have to do 600 mile round trips in a day to the Lakes.  From Suffolk.  In my old 2.5 TDi A6 (now in the caring hands of @Monquixote ) I'd know that I'd done the journey when I got back home, but I'd not be suffering at the end of it.  Effortless.

In a 2 seater soft sports car ... hmmmmmmm ....
    I did wales and back (500 miles round trip) in the GT86.. it was fine, and for all the fuss I didn't feel much different to how I did after doing it in the Jag XF. That was a lovely car, but man was the servicing expensive... oof.

I am sticking to cheaper cars these days, I've done that journey in a Mondeo and I felt bloody awful afterwards...
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    I've had a couple of mx5s and loved them, the only people who poke fun haven't driven them. Do it. I as about 21 when I had my first, women dig them for the cute but not 'LOOK AT MY BIG SPORTS CAR' looks. In my experience anyway. From the new breed of go for the RF, looks lovely with the roof up for rainy days. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Tavernor said:
    I've had a couple of mx5s and loved them, the only people who poke fun haven't driven them. Do it. I as about 21 when I had my first, women dig them for the cute but not 'LOOK AT MY BIG SPORTS CAR' looks. In my experience anyway. From the new breed of go for the RF, looks lovely with the roof up for rainy days. 
    The RF was a bit of an oddball in the flesh. The pillars at the back are a bit odd and cause quite some wind buffering.. and the interior seems a bit more cramped.

The soft top is manual and a quick 3 second job. It was slashing it down today as well, and yet was pretty quiet and comfy despite the weather.
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    Interesting, not seen an RF in the flesh yet so I'll take your word on it. Similar theory to how I hopefully don't look like photographs I see of myself. The new model is by far the best looking since the MK1.