Gigging amp at home

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
How many guys actually use their main gigging amp at home?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Yep, Marshall 2525c
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    I'm not gigging right now, but I used to use my Hot Rod Deluxe at home
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    I used my JCM800 at home (with attenuator). I honestly believe the best amp investment is a good attenuator - it opens up so many more options for amps where overall volume level is less of an issue 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I don't gig now - but when I did, I used my gigging amps at home - including a 4x10 Music Man 65 watt combo and a Mk III Boogie.
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    Used to but it sounded crap and was still too loud so I bought a Blackstar ID core.

It's not just a matter of running the output stage at a healthy volume, to me 12" speakers sound dreadful at home volumes.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I don't gig at the minute but still use my gh50l at home. It is too much though so I'm downsizing to a 20w marshall when I can afford it. And probably getting a Two Notes Captor as well.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    I use my gigging amps at home, they all dial in well at lowish volume, although I have to be touch sensitive with the Maz 18 as it goes to loud pretty quick. The Badger 30 has power scaling which is ideal. My Mesa 5:50 and Bogner G.F 45 are very good at low volume too. God Bless the Master Volume Control :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I used to use my gigging Marshall's at home but to be honest they were far too loud and even after investing in an attenuater they were less than inspiring. 

Now I use a THR10 or a 10 watt valve combo but even that can be too loud.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    All hail the Master Volume...

Yes here - Mesa and Bogner get used at home
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I don't gig but my rig is capable of gigging. 18 valve watts, 1 x 12 speaker. Along with the pedalboard it sound waaaaay better, I mean different league, than any pissy little home modelling device or very low volume valve amp. I even had it at such whisper volume the other day I was crouched in front of the speaker to hear it as my 1 year old slept in the next room. Still sounded great.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    No, never, 120 watts of power into a 4 x 12 is just not doable haha.
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 135
    Use my 100w Two Rock Classic reverb at home through a 1x12 set on 50w and keep the volume right down ... still sounds sweet and fine for practicing... Also got an old Marshall 50 w Pa head which is so loud it shakes the house even on1.!!

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
    edited July 2017
    Deluxe reverb at home and for jamming/gigs - I generally find at home that amp EQ and pedal settings (both OD and delay/mod fx) just need ramping up a notch or two compared to playing out. I use pedals for drive anyway which simplifies things - amp will start to compress and growl a bit  at higher volumes I suppose, but not much as I'm not involved in anything very loud.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    My most used amp at home is a Laney IRT60H Ironheart - three channel 60W 6L6 amp.  With the master volume up, but the channel volumes down it sounds really good even at low volumes.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited July 2017
    I do - I have a Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 - I mainly use the 9 watt side at home but sometimes the 15 watts.
    Edit: I nearly bought my mate's Katana 50 last week as I was impressed with it for both sounds, versatile volume capabilities and size but even though there were a few pluses there with the Boss, my rig works really well and I do I have a Micro Cube if I really want portable.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16008
    YUP .....pointless having them otherwise .......how many people play more than 2 or 3 gigs a week .......not that many really.
    Even then you can barely turn them up much louder than home sadly !!!
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    I use every amp I own at home (not at the same time).
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Up until the last 10 or so years I only ever owned one amp at a time so I made do with that. It's only recently that I started using very low wattage amps for home use and recording.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I used to play through a 50W CAA head and 2x12, until I bought the FX8.
    Now I plug the FX8 into a Louis Electric Roadrunner.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 650
    I use Mesa Boogie 100 watt head at home, master volume works great.