NPD

thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
edited July 2017 in Bass
When I'm not complaining about people asking stupidly high prices for used guitars (see other thread), I quite enjoy adding to my Boss pedal collection from ebay. I've been thinking of setting up a small bass board, and here's the first one, which was mint, boxed, and even contained the original battery (which was sadly a little too flat to work) for 55% of the brand new price (that's more like it, eh?):

http://i.imgur.com/JTNrpom.jpg

The low filter knob is very useful for preventing the low E becoming too wobbly, and for the first time I've been convinced that  level and depth controls are useful. An interesting trick is to plug a dummy jack into the B output, which tricks the A output into only supplying the vibrato signal.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 373
    Excellent purchase. I'm on a bass chorus hunt at the moment, I'll add this to the list.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    I have a CEB-3, languishing in a BCB-3 case, that gets very little use. I shall have to rummage to discover whether I still have the box and instructions. PM me if you are interested.
    Be seeing you.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I've fancied doing a boss bass board for some time now...
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I have a Mr Black Doublechorus on my bass board, it sounds lovely and Cure-ish.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    I have a CEB-3, languishing in a BCB-3 case, that gets very little use. I shall have to rummage to discover whether I still have the box and instructions. PM me if you are interested.
    I also have one… which I was thinking of selling but I will probably keep even though it's not in my BCB-3 at the moment. I'll only need to buy another one later.

The level and lo-cut knobs are definitely very useful and stop it sounding as cheesy and seasick as bass chorus can… level definitely doesn't do the same thing as depth.

I quite enjoy adding to my Boss pedal collection from ebay. I've been thinking of setting up a small bass board
    Here's a slightly off-the-wall suggestion - FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz. It's an amazing bass fuzz, even though it's designed for guitar. Although there's no clean blend like most bass distortion pedals, there is an active bass boost (and treble boost) which will easily restore enough bottom-end. There's much more gain than it really needs normally  - I have mine set to minimum - but it's capable of some seriously massive, synthy bass fuzz in mode 2 - mode 1 is a more conventional middy 'trying to kill a transistor amp with bass' sound :). And it has a useful clean boost mode (with the EQ still active) if you get fed up with fuzz...

The FZ-2 is no longer that cheap, but still not at all expensive by fancy pedal standards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I like the ODB3, though it really needs to be used with something that tames the high end IMO. Often very cheap S/H and works well for a bass distortion. It's not really an overdrive, other pedals work better for that.
  • Two FZ-2s on ebay at the moment - one at £104 with 3 days to go and the other £180 BIN. I'll give that a miss, the appeal of Boss pedals to me is the fact that you can pick most of them up relatively inexpensively.

I was thinking an LMB-1 or maybe an OC-3 next...