Bigsby spring/arm help please?

freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
edited July 2017 in Guitar
Well, I fitted a B5 type Bigsbyalike to my SG at the weekend and whilst it looks nice and seems to work OK, the bar/arm is quite high. It's nearly 2 inches above the scratch plate. It's over 20 years since I had a guitar with a Bigsby but I don't remember it being this high. I've looked on the web and there's loads of info on raising the arm but not much on lowering it. Options seem to be a 7/8'' spring which I can't seem to find for less than £10 or a Reverend Guitars spring which lots of people rave about but will cost $21 with delivery from USA. So the questions are; does anyone know where I can get a 7/8'' spring for sensible money? Is there someone who sells the Reverend springs in UK? Is there another solution that I've not discovered? Thanks in advance. Here are some pics.

Link to my trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Bend the arm! I always bend Bigsby arms so they are parallel to the guitar top at a height I find comfortable.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    Thanks @Gagaryn. Been scouring the web and found that, according to some, the 7/8'' spring is firmer than the 1" despite having fewer coils. Duesenberg do a spring that seems to be popular at €4.70 but the nickel one is out of stock. (Awaiting delivery from Korea?). Confused!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @TheMarlin is a clever chap, especially on Bigsbys.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7846
    Just bend the arm.  It's your guitar, no right or wrong :)

I recommend the Brickbuggsfix squishy spring, or the Reverend version.  If you find it a bit stiff in use, maybe try one of these.   Best Bigsby mod ever!!!

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    edited August 2017
    I got a 7/8" spring from www.axesrus.co.uk for £3.90 including first class delivery. They only have gold but you barely notice it and it's exactly the right size. =)
  • LozboyLozboy Frets: 80
    Thanks @Gagaryn. Been scouring the web and found that, according to some, the 7/8'' spring is firmer than the 1" despite having fewer coils. Duesenberg do a spring that seems to be popular at €4.70 but the nickel one is out of stock. (Awaiting delivery from Korea?). Confused!
     I think the Duesenberg spring is a different diameter so best check it out.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I got a lighter touch spring (from Reverend?? can't remember) and for me it is a million times better.

I agree with others here - mine was too low so I bent it up. Having said that, my guitar is aged so I'm not too fussed how it fares under bending.

I got a reverend squishy spring too, to see what all the fuss is about. It's only been in the guitar for a couple of months but I'm starting to think I preferred my old 1" slightly firmer spring. The softer spring makes it difficult to maintain any contact with the handle without inadvertently pressing down and making everything flat. I am quite cack handed at this guitar lark though - I lack finesse!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    I really don't like softer springs - if anything I find the stock ones too soft, and I certainly wouldn't want anything even softer... but each to their own!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

A shorter spring of the same wire will be stiffer but the difference between 1" and 7/8 ones is slight. Same as ^^ I don't like soft springs.

The arms bend very easily, no tools needed just the edge of a table or something. I like the Chet arm much better, but make my own arms to fit the Chet bracket. Std Chet arm - my arm

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Gagaryn said:

I got a reverend squishy spring too, to see what all the fuss is about. It's only been in the guitar for a couple of months but I'm starting to think I preferred my old 1" slightly firmer spring. The softer spring makes it difficult to maintain any contact with the handle without inadvertently pressing down and making everything flat. I am quite cack handed at this guitar lark though - I lack finesse!

If you swap back I'll but the squishy one :)
    Corvus said:

A shorter spring of the same wire will be stiffer but the difference between 1" and 7/8 ones is slight. Same as ^^ I don't like soft springs.

The arms bend very easily, no tools needed just the edge of a table or something. I like the Chet arm much better, but make my own arms to fit the Chet bracket. Std Chet arm - my arm

I really like that arm - if you ever want to make another... :-)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Cheers :) I did think about making them to sell but really need a small lathe. The arms are fairly quick (stainless, polishing), the tips involve dodges with pillar drill, wood lathe and some fun unsafe working practices, takes too long at the mo'.