Looking at a taylor gs mini. Anything better available under £500

What's Hot
Decided to add an acoustic to my stable. Quite like the idea of a mini acoustic. Own a few high value electric guitars so want a fairly decent one. I would like to have one with a similar feel to any electric neck if that's possible 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I've never played anything that comes as close to the feel of an electric. It's excellent at what it is but don't expect it to sound like a traditional, larger acoustic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The videos I have seen on YouTube sound fantastic 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Faith guitars have had mentions but I've not played one yet.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    Decided to add an acoustic to my stable. Quite like the idea of a mini acoustic. Own a few high value electric guitars so want a fairly decent one. I would like to have one with a similar feel to any electric neck if that's possible 
    A friend of mine has a 1980s Ovation (shallow bowl model) that plays like an electric as far as the neck goes. IMHO, sounds dreadful acoustically and worse on the quacky pickup. But he likes it and that's what counts. Might be worth trying one if you can find one. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 240
    I nearly bought a GS Mini a while back now.  Played it a fair bit in the shop on several occasions and really liked it.  Only reason I didn't buy was because I ended up having an unexpected increase in budget but I would still like one for taking out and about. Good luck!
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I've played my friends GS mini to death. Fantastic guitar. The clarity and size of the sound for something so small is a wonder! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    Faith,recording king,sigma for starters but my reccomendation would be a second hand furch/stonebridge. Exceptional guitars imho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    Whoops.missed out on the mini bit
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    BRISTOL86 said:
      don't expect it to sound like a traditional, larger acoustic. 
    This. I had one and hated it. It was my first acoustic and it put me off acoustics for a long time as I thought they all sounded like this. With acoustics, I do think you get what you pay for.

If you have high value electrics you are probably quite fussy about sound quality (in a good way) . Can I play devil's advocate and suggest you add to the budget...maybe even part-ex an electric? Somebody sold a Luthier made Atkin on here recently for about £1,400....there is a world of difference between that and a GS mini with a laminated cardboard top.

Appreciate that might be rather more than you'd want to spend but just making the point that with acoustics more is more. 
  • Money not really an issue but space is. Not looking for a huge sound. Currently using an axe fx 2 unit with an acoustic patch which sounds OK. A real acoustic however will be much better and from the YouTube reviews I have heard it sounds fantastic 
  • I bought one almost a year ago, it sounds great, the youtube videos (I watched loads as well) are really quite representative. I went for the mahogany version, based on the American chaps side by side comparison, the Acoustic letter if I remember rightly. I love the sizing and it's a perfect go-to guitar. Go for it, you won't be disappointed!
  • Yep definitely getting one. Have a deal sorted on these forums 
  • I'm toying with downsizing from my 324 and pocketing the difference. They really are pretty fantastic little things!
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Try the Guild M120. I use one for teaching / travel. Good sound - 10 drunk staggers couldn't drown it out round the campfire. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I love my gs mini (koa)

Love it love it love it love it love it.  Is my opinion clear?

Also peach did 0% for 24 months.  so I paid some of it, then virtually nothing a month for 2 years
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It looks like you should now be sorted for one. I have one and I love it. As well as sound and playability etc. I really appreciate having a guitar which I don't have to be too precious about. I do take care of it but I don't have to worry about it as it is quite a tough wee thing.
    Anyway, I hope that you are enjoying yours - remember to use Medium strings.
  • still waiting to collect it (my fault)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I like Elixir nano 12s on mine, 13s were a bit too dead. Great guitars! 
  • dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 111
    My GS Mini-e Mahogany gets delivered today. Ordered primarily because of this thread.