How can I create plans for local council planning dept?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
Annoyingly, I need to do a planning application for anything for our house, even though it's not listed

I want to take out some windows, and replace with a pair of french windows

they have asked for:

Existing and proposed elevation and floor plans to a recognised scale of 1:50 or 1:100

I'm trying to do this without having to pay an architect to do something so trivial

any advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Take a look at Sketchup. It's pretty easy to use and free. It's a brilliant bit of software.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    I did mine in Visio.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    edited July 2017
    Basically, the local government planning department wants to make certain that none of your proposed changes is out of keeping with the appearance of surrounding properties or encroaches on utilities buried underground.

It ought to be possible to have a council official visit your property and be shown what the proposal entails. Having the proposal in hard copy is probably to cover council arses in the event of possible disputes or differences of interpretation in the future.

e.g. Householder obtained written permission for THIS. Householder proceeded to build THAT. Council says, THAT does not comply with the permissions that were granted. Take it down.

If what you eventually build does not match the drawings that you originally submitted, the council has you over a barrel.

Submitting drawings is annoying and potentially costly but not as annoying and potentially costly as taking a dispute to court.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited July 2017
    Any drawing app that has a graph paper background will do.  You don't need an architect and they won't mind if your A4 drawing is a millimetre out here and there.  The scale is just to make it intelligible. Some folks try to send in free hand scrawls! 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    Most councils have a Planning section on their website. I'd suggest having a look at some existing planning applications as this will give you an idea as to the format and level of detail required. Once you've drafted some plans, I'd suggest discussing them with the council before you formally submit them, so you can get their views on whether any changes are needed. In my experience, councils have been helpful in this respect.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    edited July 2017
    Seriously, just download Sketchup, it is perfect. I've designed countless gardens with it including social housing developments which have required planning consent. You'll get to grips with the basics in an hour.

https://www.sketchup.com/
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 334
    Do you really need planning permission? Sounds doubtful to me as as unless it's on the front of the house, or a listed building or in a Conservation Area you are probably not materiallly changing the appearance of the house and this would normally be permitted development I.e you don't need to apply for permission. Unless your local council has specific planning requirements for your area!

Or is it really Building Regulations approval you need? These Regulations are required for certain works to ensure they are e.g. being carried out safely. If you are taking out windows and replacing with French windows within the same openings then I don't think you would, but if you are replacing the lintels above because the openings are being made bigger then you probably would. 

You might need both both in the end.

Either way I really would recommend you seek proper advice, it might cost a few quid but worth it in the long run as long as you pick someone reliable. If you were in the Leeds area I could recommend someone.
    I love my brick
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16090
    Agree totally with the above -if you are not in a Conservation area or Listed Building then Fenestration change is permitted development.
    Dont waste your time with a pre-App -its just a money making scheme for the council
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Stavros said:
    Do you really need planning permission? Sounds doubtful to me as as unless it's on the front of the house, or a listed building or in a Conservation Area you are probably not materiallly changing the appearance of the house and this would normally be permitted development I.e you don't need to apply for permission. Unless your local council has specific planning requirements for your area!

Or is it really Building Regulations approval you need? These Regulations are required for certain works to ensure they are e.g. being carried out safely. If you are taking out windows and replacing with French windows within the same openings then I don't think you would, but if you are replacing the lintels above because the openings are being made bigger then you probably would. 

You might need both both in the end.

Either way I really would recommend you seek proper advice, it might cost a few quid but worth it in the long run as long as you pick someone reliable. If you were in the Leeds area I could recommend someone.
    Your advice would usually be accurate, but the council removed our normal permitted development rights, since the building is pretty. The good thing is that we don't pay for the planning applications that would normally be permitted.

So: we don't need to pay the council, but unless I can create drawings myself to jump through the hoops, I'll need to pay someone else to provide them
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I run my own architecture business doing exactly this for clients. This is how I'd do it if I were you... 
    Measure up the Building inside, taking heights of window cills and heads, ceilings. Measure floor to floor internally and you have all your level data. Measure wall thicknesses.
    Grab some graph paper or buy a scale rule and pencil draw the plan of the relevant area. Use this and your level data to create your elevations. You'll need proposed and existing of each.

Should look something like this:
    Plans https://imgur.com/gallery/sYpor
    Elevations https://imgur.com/gallery/K70ki

For the block and location plans there are good online sources which will give you what you need for £25.  

Application can be made online via the planning portal.

Once you submit the drawings and the application it goes to a technician who checks everything over before its validated. If anything is missing they will get in touch with you. 

It can be slightly intimidating, but follow their guidance and you'll get there. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Buy a bloody scale rule and a piece of A4!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    First question. Are you sure this requires planning permission? Take a photo of the outside, print it and mark up what you intend  to do by way of modification. Go and see them and ask if you need planning permission. 

Second, Building Regs. And new window requires Building Regards approval unless you a engaging a FENSA accredited installer. If not you can do it on a Building Notice which in effect allows you to get on with it and get it inspected and a certificate afterwards. If you submit plans to Building Regs you have to detail everything that might fall within the remit of the regs, like insulation,  safety glazing, etc. They will then also inspect on completion. 

If either Planning or Building Control ask for a 1:1250 location plan you can often cheat. My neighbour submitted plans a few years ago and I downloaded them from the planning portal and then traced the location plan for my own use. I used CorelDraw, but then I've been using that for 25 years and know it well.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    When we got our windows and doors done the window company drew up plans for us as part of the service. Any decent FENSA accredited window company will do this.
    mellowsun said:
    When we got our windows and doors done the window company drew up plans for us as part of the service. Any decent FENSA accredited window company will do this.
    they don't do it in house, and have said they will pass on details of a retired architect, so I assume a cost
    hywelg said:
    First question. Are you sure this requires planning permission? Take a photo of the outside, print it and mark up what you intend  to do by way of modification. Go and see them and ask if you need planning permission. 

Second, Building Regs. And new window requires Building Regards approval unless you a engaging a FENSA accredited installer. If not you can do it on a Building Notice which in effect allows you to get on with it and get it inspected and a certificate afterwards. If you submit plans to Building Regs you have to detail everything that might fall within the remit of the regs, like insulation,  safety glazing, etc. They will then also inspect on completion. 

If either Planning or Building Control ask for a 1:1250 location plan you can often cheat. My neighbour submitted plans a few years ago and I downloaded them from the planning portal and then traced the location plan for my own use. I used CorelDraw, but then I've been using that for 25 years and know it well.
    I do have to apply for planning permission

I bought  location plan for about £16 online, that was the easy bit (I'd tried creating my own from online maps, but it was rejected)

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    from most of the monstrosities I've seen get through, I think no more than this would suffice

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/65/68/6d/65686d34ff703207f7b08a50f31398d4--baseball-field-little-league-baseball.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    A junior architect/draftsmen should not cost an arm or a leg, They have a skill and the tools to get it done right first time.

Have you got existing house plans? If you own the house you should have something along those lines, you may be able to photo copy it and then edit them with a pen, bare in mind most drawings were done by hand previously so your planning department should not have an issue with this.