Changing tunings, breaking strings and a kind of ernie ball paradigm review...

What's Hot
ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 367
So I managed to break a D string on a set of ernie ball's paradigm strings after two weeks of gigging (hopefully claiming the free replacement pack soon) and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on how changing tunings affects string breakage rates? 

I regularly change between E standard and Eb for different gigs depending on whether I'm singing or not, could this be a factor that speeds up string breakage? 

I usually use rotosound, d'addario or regular ernie balls and they rust/break within two weeks of hard gigging (usually 5hrs of gigging per weekend and a couple more hours during the week).

I'm not a hard hitter and only use .60 tortex picks so I'm sure its not a technique thing (i hope) - and the bridge saddles on my strat are brand new callaham ones (no notches or sharp points here)

One thing i will say in favour of the paradigms are they havent rusted or dulled at all in comparison to rotosounds which go off fairly quickly.

thoughts anyone?
https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445

Wouldn't expect changing the tuning between E and Eb would make difference.

Thinner picks can be worse for breaking strings.

I used to break a lot more strings when I used thinner picks.  I think with thinner picks, the flexibility allowed me to get away with hitting the strings with other bits of the pick - not just the tip.  Switching to thicker picks made me develop better technique and start using the tip of the pick.  I stopped breaking strings.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I've yet to break a string when doing anything but re-stringing. However I got some Ernie Ball strings and they're fucking awful. Guitars which normally hold tuning perfectly ain't retaining tuning after 2 minutes.
    Since changing to 1.0mm Tortex sharps I'm playing way softer than with regular shape Tortex picks......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I had been considering trying EB again and I'd started to look at Paradigm but the thing is D'addario have NEVER, not even once let me down.

I've never broken one of the XL's I use and they last 3-4 weeks playing every day for a few hours.
    NYXL are even better still.

Sorry EB, I don't want you back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Im an elixir man but Id give these a go and the nyxl things. But i usually end up back at Elixirs