Scarborough - any thoughts as a place to live after retiring.

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4695
London is not on.  mrs rlw won't live in Cornwall.  We both fancy York but it is quite pricey and likely to get more so over the next couple of years.

Scarborough is by the sea, 50 minutes from York and three hours from London by train.  It's full of Yorkshire people.  Property is very affordable - budget up to £450K but happy to spend less.   

What's not to like?  I know, it's cold and the tourists - but I walk along Oxford Street which is busier still.....
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    Spent a fair bit of time over that way in the last few years, Prefer Whitby to Scarborough, Scarborough always strikes me as being shut everytime i go there, almost like a ghost town at times. Whitby on the other hand has the Goth Festival which is just fucking bonkers, a couple of small Music Festivals and has always been just more fun.All personal opinion of course. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    Agree Whitby is nicer but the communications are not.  I've been going to Whitby for over 60 years.............
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    my Inlaws have just sold their holiday home over there, they had 2 one in Whitby and one in Pickering, the Whitby one has been sold, gutted as loved going to the place. 
    Scarborough has the theatre and, presumably, some other things going on.  We have a house in Wadebridge, in Cornwall, and that place really is like a ghost town out of season.  One of my colleagues went and stayed out of season and actually rang me up to ask where everyone was...............
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2553
    My god daughters family live in Pickering. Beautiful and close enough to go the coast. It also has the steam railway!
    cruxiform said:
    My god daughters family live in Pickering. Beautiful and close enough to go the coast. It also has the steam railway!
    Lovely place but lousy communications again - even with the NYMR.  Scarborough is direct to York in 50 minutes with trains hourly.  We don't want to live somewhere completely isolated.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Whitby or Filey are both a lot nicer than Scarborough. Thirsk is inland but not too far from coast and is nice.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Spain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Somebody tell me what makes Whitby nicer than Scarborough please...or what is wrong about Scarborough.  It's certainly more cosmopolitan than most.

My options are currently.

York
    Eastbourne
    Scarborough

Communications are vital so I need somewhere with a railway line and a service direct to somewhere and then direct to London.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788

I like Scarborough, although I've only been there briefly a couple of times.  It seemed nice to me.

I do remember on the same trip we passed through Bridlington and it looked so awful we locked the doors and didn't stop the car.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    OK.  End of topic.  A little internet research goes a long way and it would  appear to be a shithole, in much the same way that the Caledonian Road was a few years ago - but without any planned investment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    It depends whereabouts in York you what to live and what kind of property you want. Towards town houses tend to be pricey, but surrounding villages can be more reasonable.

We moved from Leeds to a village on the outskirts of York and haven't looked back since, we absolutely love it! It's 20 minutes into the centre of York by bus.

In Leeds it was taking us over an hour sometimes to do the 8 miles home from work. Our current journey is more than three times that and it takes 40 minutes!

York is a really lovely town (though it does get busy with tourists - obviously). There are plenty of bars, restaurants, etc. and generally live music can be found pretty much any evening of the week - what's not to like?!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    rlw said:
    I need somewhere with a railway line and a service direct to somewhere and then direct to London.
    Eastbourne can be pricey too. Plenty of other seaside towns between there and Bromley.

On the other hand, Southern Railways.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited July 2017
    Middle of York is the main idea.  The villages are nice but too isolated without a car - not a problem yet but it will be one day.
    The appeal is that it's busy all year round and has lots to do.

My mum used to live in Bardsey.  When she first moved there it took 20 minutes to get into Leeds centre, even in the rush hour.  Not a chance now but no more buses it seems.
    My aunt used to live in East Keswick - as did all my best mates - and my cousin still has a place at Wyke.  Another cousin is in York, with aunt and another cousin near Hull, so a few connections.  Best mate lives in Foggathorpe.

Have you been to that crazy Italian place in Riccall - Per Bacco?  
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Stokesley. Nice market town, but without tourists. 20 minutes from Northallerton station. 20 minutes from the moors. 25 minutes from the coast.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:
    I need somewhere with a railway line and a service direct to somewhere and then direct to London.
    Eastbourne can be pricey too. Plenty of other seaside towns between there and Bromley.

On the other hand, Southern Railways.

Without making a song and dance about, we could probably spend £550K on a house, so Eastbourne is quite do-able.

We hate Brighton, we like Hastings - mrs rlw lived there for years - but it's really still run down, Ramsgate and Broadstairs appeal too.  Eastbourne is genteel.................
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Forgot to mention Harrogate, lovely place.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    Forgot to mention Harrogate, lovely place.
    Love Harrogate but it's not as busy as York.  Also, the coldest place om Earth.

York also has the railway museum which adds to the appeal.
    Roland said:
    Stokesley. Nice market town, but without tourists. 20 minutes from Northallerton station. 20 minutes from the moors. 25 minutes from the coast.
    But, in the nicest possible way, sweet FA to do there.  And it has no station.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    rlw said:
    OK.  End of topic.  A little internet research goes a long way and it would  appear to be a shithole, in much the same way that the Caledonian Road was a few years ago - but without any planned investment.
    Only just seen this topic, shithole would have been my response. To be honest, you could do worse than look at Hull area. By that I actually mean East Yorkshire and the many villages that are around 7 miles from Hull or Beverly . Lovely countryside, good communication links, you can get to York and London. Property prices very reasonable compared to South.