Electronic drum repair

kipplekipple Frets: 354
edited July 2017 in Making & Modding
A friend of mine has an electronic Drum Kit made by KAT and the bass drum has stopped working so we took it apart to try to fix it and it has stopped working because a wire has come off inside.
It has a Little pad Transducer electronic Mic type thingy that the wire should be attached to and I cannot get the wire to solder back on.
Anyone got any experience tips to get this done right Please ?   
I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Your probably find the wire is coated with insulation  and you need to burn off the coating before you can solder the actual conductor. Many headphone wires are coated in a similar manner 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • kipplekipple Frets: 354
    Danny1969 said:
    Your probably find the wire is coated with insulation  and you need to burn off the coating before you can solder the actual conductor. Many headphone wires are coated in a similar manner 
    The problem is the solder will not stick to the Transducer .The solder is holding onto the wire just fine but It just will not stick to the pad

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    If the solder pad is still on the transducer then clean it by gently scraping or filing it, then tin your your iron and hold the iron on the pad until you can touch the solder to the pad and it melts on the pad ... then offer the wire to the pad and solder it 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Is the transducer a piezo disc? That is, a brass-like disc with a greyish ceramic layer, then a very thin metal layer on top of that?

(If so the top layer is hard to solder to, the iron tends to melt the metal layer...)

Danny1969 said:
    If the solder pad is still on the transducer then clean it by gently scraping or filing it, then tin your your iron and hold the iron on the pad until you can touch the solder to the pad and it melts on the pad ... then offer the wire to the pad and solder it 
    OK Thanks I will try that. I will let you know how it goes
    Cheers Ian

I tried that method and It worked .
    Thanks very much for the Help
    Cheers Ian  

Ravenous said:

Is the transducer a piezo disc? That is, a brass-like disc with a greyish ceramic layer, then a very thin metal layer on top of that?

(If so the top layer is hard to solder to, the iron tends to melt the metal layer...)

It does look like a Piezo but it seems to have held this time so hopefully it will last.
    If it does not last I will look into replacing the Piezo as they seem quite cheap

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Thanks for the update - glad you got it fixed!