Matt Schofield's latest offering

beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
I've just listened to Schofield's new album, Far As I Can See, and after the first spin, I really like it.  A pretty laid back album with some tasty playing, which is to be expected I guess.  Standout tracks for me are Hindsight, From Far Away, Yellow Moon, and Red Dragon.

Anyone else heard it yet?  What do ya think?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    Had a quick listen and it's bloomin' good stuff.

I like Matt, he's a great player and is very down to earth. His tone on the new album is just lovely. Sounds like he's got a kicking horn section too!  I know he gets a lot of exposure  by the guitar mags..but that's not a crime and if it helps boost his low-profile career then good on him.

@mudslide73 kindly got me a ticket and took me to see him in Lichfield a year or so ago and he was great.

Thanks for the heads up 
    I'm off to buy myself a copy now 

:D
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    equalsql said:
    Had a quick listen and it's bloomin' good stuff.

Thanks for the heads up 
    I'm off to buy myself a copy now 

:D
    No problem, hope you enjoy it.  I agree, the horn section is great!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I've been listening to it on Spotify ... I like Matt and this is a tasty old school blues album.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I saw him at the Colchester arts centre a couple of years ago and he was really good.
    I just find that when I buy a blues album I end up never really playing it.

I might give this a try though as everyone seems to rate it highly.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    Just finished listening to the whole thing...and whoa.. frankly it's just feckin awesome. He's really outdone himself this time. 
    Can still feel the chill down my back from the last track. Masterful stuff! 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    equalsql said:
    He's really outdone himself this time. 

I am of the same mind.  I've listened to it a few times and can't get enough!
  • Very much enjoying this. He sounds like he's clicked into another gear... I liked his stuff before too.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• I think it's his best album to date. There isn't a track on there I don't like and it seems like he's trying different styles of song - like 'Everything' seems like an amalgamation of old blues and funk.

Overall, very refreshing album!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884

I'm really pleased he has a Bass player now, using bass pedals was a big compromise, and the songs have much more life

I think he sounds more like everyone else than he used to on this one, I don't know if that's intentional, but he sounds a bit more blues/rock, whereas I think he sounded more blues with jazz inflections before - which I preferred.

Lovely though it sounds, fewer tracks with the swirly organ sounds would break up the album a little

So - it sounds very good, just wondering if he's moving towards the Bonnamassa audience

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884

Just listened to it again, now I understand why I was surprised when he supported Joe Satriani, when he was playing much rockier than usual - I thought it was just for that crowd, more Bonamassa and sometimes SRV ish

I took my mate to see him after the last album 2-3 years ago, and could not believe that he was not amazed, I think for some, the jazzy touches are unwelcome, perhaps this album aims to avoid that problem

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    ToneControl;172147" said:
    I'm really pleased he has a Bass player now, using bass pedals was a big compromise
    That totally threw me the first time a mate and I saw him at the 100 Club. "Where the hell's the bass player? Is he invisible?"

I'm really pleased he has a Bass player now, using bass pedals was a big compromise, and the songs have much more life

So - it sounds very good, just wondering if he's moving towards the Bonnamassa audience

For a bass-less trio, it was amazing how they managed to get such a big sound. I don't mind his stuff with or without, it all sounds great!

Moving towards the Bonnamassa audience? Hmmm, the new album is more listenable that his preceding titles, but not sure he's veering towards Bonamassa territory.  I hope not anyway.
  • 'Latest offering'? Surely 'waxing' would be more appropriate in this day and age?