I have to make a tele

What's Hot
I'm in the early throes of building a superstrat type guitar, It's been going wrong so the thread got buried months ago! I've also started on my headless midi-only guitar, and I'm thinking about the bass I want to make, as well as a possible LP.

We have just been on holiday for the week, and suddenly out of the blue I feel that I need to make a basic, no frills tele. I'm in love with the tele shape, but I've never been a tele player as such. My two cheapies both ended up in pieces over the years. 

I think I may just dive in and take that on as a distraction. I think I need a tele, something old and beat-up looking. Most of my guitar plans go a bit off piste, but I need something 100% regular, 2 tele pickups, vol, tone and no other stuff or wiring weirdness.

I'm really not a maple neck person, but I think I may have to go that way for this one - However, I kind of dislike the way that Maple necks get old - with those ugly dark worn spots between the frets. I may just go for the unfinished 'dirty' look. I know that a lot of people hate that, but I'm rather fond of it.

So yeah, plans underway right now. I'll probably post a build thread when I get going.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    It takes a long, long time for maple necks to get those dark worn spots. Like, decades - unless you are playing it exclusively every day while sweaty, I don't think you need to worry about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    axisus said:
    I'm in the early throes of building ... It's been going wrong ... the thread got buried months ago ... I've also started on ____________________ (fill in the blank). I may just dive in ... a distraction. 
    At this rate, you are never going to complete any of them. You'll end up moving to a house in a rural area. Next, you'll need to buy an adjoining field on which to build a warehouse to store all of your works in progress.

Hang on. My mistake. I confused you with somebody else on this board. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Chuffola said:
    It takes a long, long time for maple necks to get those dark worn spots. Like, decades - unless you are playing it exclusively every day while sweaty, I don't think you need to worry about it.
    I think you didn't see the bit when I mentioned that it needs to be something old and beat-up looking (avoiding the 'R' word)
  • g12mg12m Frets: 1
    I thought that i was a maple neck kinda guy and then built a rosewood neck Tele, I still have a a maple neck squire tele and its 25 or more years old with the fret wear that goes with the age/playing but the ploy varnish is still like new, I would think that its only nitro finished necks that are will wear up dark.