Loss of tone with Alloy scratchplate?

What's Hot
So the Stratobastard sounds great with a plastic scratchplate but I thought it looked a bit, well, black, so swapped out the plastic for a silver aluminium jobby, it really affected the tone, it was muffled and muddy, all the bass went from the bass strings, output was down a bit....why? In terms a fucktard can understand?

http://i.imgur.com/wGr0rRj.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Capacitance. Like a Tele neck pickup cover.
    Nothing you can do about that if you want to keep it.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    It will reside in the cupboard or Ill sell it.......cheers!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 185
    Eddy currents could be a contributor too, where the metal surrounding the pickups acts somewhat like if you'd added an extra coil to your pickups and shorted it out.  Again, there's not much you could do about it - an aluminium pickguard will do that, especially if it's thick. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    It is very thick.......interesting, thanks!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    Alegree said:
    Capacitance. Like a Tele neck pickup cover.
    MartinB said:
    Eddy currents could be a contributor too, where the metal surrounding the pickups acts somewhat like if you'd added an extra coil to your pickups and shorted it out.
    Yes, both these things.

You could eliminate the capacitance by fitting insulating washers around the pot bushings so they don't contact the plate, but firstly that will remove the shielding provided by the guard, and secondly I think the eddy currents are the bigger problem, since 60s Strats with a full shielding plate (which is more of a thick foil than a plate really) don't seem to suffer as much from it, and in any case capacitance shouldn't affect the bass response, whereas eddy currents will.

For what it's worth I think an anodized aluminium guard improves the sound of a traditional Strat, but I've never tried it on one with hotter pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 185
    Thinking about it, if you were inclined towards experimentation you could try sawing two small slots into the pickguard - between the bridge pickup and bridge and between the neck pickup and neck pocket, so that there is no longer a complete loop of metal around each pickup.  I'm not certain to what extent that would help, but it might be interesting to find out...
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    There's a lot of chat on OSG forum about whether aluminium guards affect tone on Jazzmasters. I fitted one and didn't notice any difference.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30858
    I know single ply plates are said to 'tramopline' more than 3 ply ones.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.