sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 723
edited August 2017 in Amps
any users on here? Maybe going with a Triptik 2 

Anybody had a go of them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    @Pete24v don't you have one of these?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    @dunstanmus used to have one if i recall correctly

• Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Yeah I have a Satin, it's brilliant. It has literally stopped me buying (and selling) amps. 

I think I've had it 3 years now. 
  • @Chester is your man . . .
  • RigsbyRigsby Frets: 62
    edited August 2017

Not tried the Triptik but I just bought an OD3r from Peach a week or so ago. The clean channel is very good, although I very rarely use a clean sound when gigging. This amp isn't a plug and play. The EQs are very interactive and make a big difference just by making very small adjustments. Although the master volume works well, so far I've found the sound on the gain channels to be quite compressed at low (home) volumes and like most tube amps, only gives full, open clarity, when the volume is cranked a bit. I'm guessing that this will be more down to my settings. Mine is the 18w/30w version and it really is still way too loud to use at home, while getting the true characteristics of the amp.

I've gigged it a couple of times and I'm still experimenting, trying to find my preferred sounds from the two gain channels at battle volume. Also I think the choice of speaker cab that you use will have quite some bearing on getting the best out of the amp. I've tried it with 3 different cabs, a 1x12 ported Zilla cab with EV12L, a THD 2x12 and a Victory vertical 2x12. So far the 1x12 is sounding the best to my ears, followed by the THD. I'm not sure the OD3 is well matched with the V30s that are in the Victory.

I live too far away from Peach to have been able to try these amps before buying. I did consider the Triptik 2 LP but it was the best part of £1k more than the OD3r and from all the reviews that I read and sound clips I heard,  I'm not sure how much different it would be to the OD3r. It maybe has a bit more gain and a bit more modern sounding than the OD3 but this amp has plenty gain for rock, blues, punk ...etc. I think once I've had some time to bed in with it, I'll be able to comment better.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChesterChester Frets: 52
    I have 4 CA's. Whilst they share the same CA DNA, they are all very different, and capable of everything from clean to scream, depending on setting and speaker choice. I use G12-75's in a 4x12 which are nicely balanced, not boomy or boxy. The feel and response between the different power stages can be very different, and the CA's are the most flexible amps I own.

The CA "tone" is very much home - I came from Marshalls, through Mesas, and a few others in between, playing blues / classic rock. I don't need an amp that does that fast hard rock / metal attack, and whilst the Triptik is certainly capable of that ... depending on settings, it ain't where these things excel

The R series are "lower powered" at around 30W, but capable of loud live use. I have the 10th Anniversary previously owned by Dunstanmus, which is a 50W single channel beast of an amp, and the Tuc3R, OD3R & TripR can spank it volumewise .. depending on settings. But each can be set to produce open, touch sensitive drive tones at low volume .. within the limits of speakers moving adequate air to sound good of course

The key to opening up the amp at studio volume is the FX volume control. On the newer versions, parity is around 1pm - it was around 11 am on the older versions. I usually set the input gain between noon - 1pm, and balance channel gains to achieve the tones I need through the guitar used. I then open channel masters to around 10 ish or above, and balance overall output using the FX loop control

High input gain with high channel gains tends to compress at low master volumes. The masters need to breathe a little, so backing off the front end, and using the FX volume control provides all the flexibility I need. Too compressed? Reduce input gain slightly or drop guitar volume. The range of tones available from a single amp setting by riding guitar volume / tone is excellent. Touch sensitive from light overdrive to serious growl, and not compressed. The mid control is also key - high mids increases percieved loudness bringing the amp forward" .. reducing it softens things up a bit 

Great amps that are easily dialled in once you understand how the front end and power section interact

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • RigsbyRigsby Frets: 62

@Chester Thanks for your tips .....I've got some homework to be getting on with ;-)

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    The reason the wiz button is for answers like this. Good work.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I have several Carol-Ann amps in the Axe-FX
    I know they're not the real thing, however they are stunning..
    The Triptik and Tucana 3 are superb
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Used head at Coda
  • Played an Od2 in Chicago years ago when I was shopping for a Two rock! Great great sounding amps.... Only had half an hour with it (and a 25k Masterbuilt Blackie that I mistook for a normal CS guitar lol) but was mightily impressed...
    Alan, the owner/builder (iirc) is English too.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Played an Od2 in Chicago years ago when I was shopping for a Two rock! Great great sounding amps.... Only had half an hour with it (and a 25k Masterbuilt Blackie that I mistook for a normal CS guitar lol) but was mightily impressed...
    Well, kind of - he's from Cumbria! ;)

I think he's subsequently swore his allegiance to the stars and stripes, though.

With him and Stan Laurel, that's a serious talent-drain from the very North West of England ...
  • ChesterChester Frets: 52
    Played an Od2 in Chicago years ago when I was shopping for a Two rock! Great great sounding amps.... Only had half an hour with it (and a 25k Masterbuilt Blackie that I mistook for a normal CS guitar lol) but was mightily impressed...
    Well, kind of - he's from Cumbria! ;)

I think he's subsequently swore his allegiance to the stars and stripes, though.

With him and Stan Laurel, that's a serious talent-drain from the very North West of England ...
    He did switch sides .. guess that's what an American wife will do to ya! Seems to have done well for himself too, and Carol-Ann would probably not have grown as fast if he had stayed in Europe. Assuming that he would have started the company at all of course .. probably would have stuck to his Marshalls
  • ennspek said:
    The reason the wiz button is for answers like this. Good work.
    Quite.

@Chester thanks for the edumacation..