Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Finished Pics! impmann's Alembic-esque Electric

What's Hot
Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
edited November 2017 in Making & Modding
Hi

I have alluded to this build in a more general update thread but now it's time for @impmann to have his very own

We are still crystallising the final spec on things like electrics, etc, but the build has started

Broadly, it is planned to do a Andyjr1515 take on the wonderful and timeless Alembic 6 string electrics.  It won't be a clone but will hopefully make a passing tug of the forelock in the overall vibe.

Here was the outline:

It is planned to be as light as we can reasonably make it - with semi-acoustic type of hidden routing in the mahogany back (but no f-hole), with a camphor laurel top, cut through to the mahogany at the edges and arm-relief.  

The top, which will further contrast and enhance with the finishing, is this lovely piece here:

I think it will look superb as the figuring darkens and cuts through to the mahogany.  I will use a 2mm wenge demarcation veneer between the two layers.

The neck - which is gluing while I type - is 5 piece: maple/ purpleheart/ mahogany/ purpleheart/ maple.  Here it is before gluing:

It will be through-neck, showing at the back only, as with my recent piccolo bass:

Also like the piccolo, it will be concave carved at the back:

This does two things - it takes quite a lot of weight out (the piccolo - same size as a 6-string electric - is less than 6lbs), but also allows a much slimmer neck to body transition:

So, the wood's being glued, @impmann has just posted a very exciting bridge to me, there will be some exciting custom pickups following closely and THE SHOW'S FINALLY ON THE ROAD   

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Fab - u - lous! Where me popcorn!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3129
    Now this is a thread worth following! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    Do you ever stop??!! Looking forward to seeing this unfold!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Thanks, folks :)

Well, @impmann posted me his bridge which arrived this morning.  Badass or what?!

The neck laminations have glued nice and tightly - ready for tidying up through the thicknesser.  This blank will yield two necks - the other one for my 'piccolo bass turned into a 6 string electric' project that I will be running in parallel with this one.

The timber is from David Dyke.  Always tip-top quality.  This one has an unexpected bonus - it turns out that it's birds-eye :)

That's going to look great on both builds! ;)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    All looking very nice indeed
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27340
    Well, @impmann posted me his bridge which arrived this morning.  Badass or what?!

Pretty sure that's Hannes rather than Badass.

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    TTony said:

Damn you beat me to it!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    TTony said:

Damn you beat me to it!
    :)
    impmann said:
    Damn you beat me to it!
    Sorry - I set up to get an immediate all-channels alert whenever @Andyjr1515 posts anything on here just to make sure that I don't miss anything - lights flash, sirens sound, owls appear down the chimney and a kid on a bike delivers a little note.
    ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    impmann said:
    Damn you beat me to it!
    Sorry - I set up to get an immediate all-channels alert whenever @Andyjr1515 posts anything on here just to make sure that I don't miss anything - lights flash, sirens sound, owls appear down the chimney and a kid on a bike delivers a little note.
    ;)
    Funnily enough, the police get the same sort of things when I try to leave the house... ;)
    All the main components now ready for cutting - neck (maple/purple-heart/mahogany); back (mahogany); top (camphor laurel):

All in all, pretty much done then.  Maybe a bit more angular than @impmann was hoping but, hey, I think that's being just a wee bit fussy. 

;) 

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just proving my Andyjr1515-newpost alert is still working
    ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    ;)
    TTony said:
    ;)
    I've tidied up the top join and clamped it in a pair of sash clamps:

The cling-filmed block is to keep it flat.  

I've wiped the glue squeeze-out off the join with a damp cloth - you can see how dark the figuring is going to get once the finish is on :)   
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And with the glue dry, the top is cut out.  This is it slightly dampened to show how the figuring will come out:

There are some rich colours in there, probably better seen in this sunshine shot:

This is going to tone and contrast with the mahogany back beautifully...

Talking of sunshine, the camphor laurel is a very 'hole-y' wood.  It's very stable but many of those burrs are actually gaps.  Here's the sunshine shining through:

These will be filled with epoxy mixed with ebony dust - I keep a jar of ebony sandings just for this kind of job.  When it's done, it will look like it was always there and, indeed, further enhance the look of the burls...

Next job is to finish-thickness the neck beam and cut out the two necks from it ;)

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That grain almost looks like the Scream painting....

impmann said:
    That grain almost looks like the Scream painting....
    Great, isn't it :)

Apologies for the lack of progress the last couple of days.  MrsAndyjr1515 let me loose on the plumbing while the central heating is off.  Severn Trent is probably wondering why Carsington Reservoir  is looking a little empty.....

Anyway, the bandsaw and thicknesser beckons.  Tomorrow, hopefully....
    Sometimes, a lot of work doesn't really show.

This, you may say, looks just like the last picture of the neck beam :)

Ah - but you see, there IS a difference.  It is now at the finished width and is completely square on all sides.

From that altogether unimpressive visual start, then suddenly (well, an hour later truth be told) this happens! ;)

What's that if it isn't magic! 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Its all getting rather exciting.