SONS OF APOLLO (new supergroup alert!)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    Portnoy is basically a whore now... He'll play with anyone, everywhere, any time and for any amount of money or fame.
    It's funny, you say that like it's a bad thing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    couldn't finish the song. Just a wall of noise.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

Not a fan at all I'm afraid. 

I thought the Adrenaline Mob albums with Mike Portnoy playing and co-writing were really cool and I wish he had of stuck with them as they are now a bit generic, just like the Winery Dogs. 

I had high hopes for this as I love Jeff Scott Soto's vocals and his writing is normally top notch (check out his 2009 album W.E.T for some great hard rock / AOR). 

Sometimes these groups work and sometimes they don't.  Prog is a funny old genre. 

Kebabkid said:
    Not sure about this at all -

Yuck. That sounds like 5 different musicians with 15 different ideas on what they should be playing, all at the same time. The best way to describe that listening experience, for me, is "stressful and unpleasant".

No thanks.
    I'm guessing you're not a fan of Watchtower then.  
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
     That sounds like 5 different musicians with 15 different ideas on what they should be playing, all at the same time. 
    Just like Dream Theatre. 
  • Too thrashy
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I didn't like it. I'm not really a fan of all that showing off supergroup malarkey.

I do like Asia though, they're probably the only supergroup I'll really listen to.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I think this is going to be one of those "Not very sure" on the 1st listen albums which turns out to be a good 'un after a few more.
    Bumblefoot's solo is damn nice though.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    After having listened to the song a few times, I'm awarding it the Disappointment of the Month badge.

I will listen on Spotify just to check in case I missed something, but based on this song I don't know if I could get into it much.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • I got this album yesterday, along with a bonus DVD, and I've changed my mind.  It's really good, a heavy slice of prog metal with some cool keyboard and guitar solos.  The songwriting is great too and I'm going to guess that Jeff Scott Soto is likely responsible for most of it.  Recommended!