zvex sho vs xotic ep

mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 315
I generally run a clean boost last in my chain and leave it always on. I have been using an ep booster for this for a while but recently I have been having a good look at the zvex pedals after trying a mate's box of rock. I was wondering how the sho performs as an always on booster last in the chain compared to the ep? I also use an rc booster in the loop as a solo boost, anyone use an sho like this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    edited February 2014
    The SHO works ace as an always on booster. It does add some grit, some top end and a bit of "sparkle" though, so you may not like it. It sounds good anywhere in your chain, though. Plus two outputs so always handy for driving two amps. Never tried one in a loop. I would imagine you'd get deafened, they have a lot of volume available. Also, despite what I've read, the boost on the BOR ain't the same as a regular SHO. The BOR boost is more of a straight clean boost.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    They are really different. SHO: quite aggressive, sparkly, a bit gritty etc. EP boost is much more transparent and more of a plain old clean boost. Depends what you're looking for. For the price check out the dr scientist cleanness: it can add as much grit as you might need (or none) and a bit of compression (or none) as well as a full eq.