sunn mustang strat

What's Hot
usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
I remember these being around back in t' day. Never played one, though, not being a Strat guy. Saw one in an 'antique' shop for 85 notes, and wondered if it was worth a punt. There are probably different versions and specs? Anyone have any experience of them? Any words of wisdom to share?
 so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17584
    tFB Trader
    They were very cheap even compared to a Squier 

Probably Encore levels of quality and thus not something I'd touch unless you wanted something to experiment on. I'm not sure, but would suspect it's probably ply.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    I believe some of them are quite collectable these days. Knock them down to £60 perhaps. :)
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited February 2014
    That was my first ever guitar. My parents didn't pay too much more when it was bought new 17 yrs go So it's why overpriced for what it is.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    edited February 2014
    I seem to recall that the original ones I saw at the time were made in India.

Fender stopped taking Indian guitars shortly after, I don't know if it is any reflection...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10255
    tFB Trader
    Right ... I've had a couple ... the only ones worth having are the ones made in India, and they are really quite good quality. The necks are heel adjusting on the pukka Indian ones, with huge jumbo frets, all 50mm pickup pole spacing and they are normally HSS. The later Chinese ones are pretty much all SSS and worse than many Encores.
    The Indian ones sound good and play very well. I did a mental relic job to one a few years ago for fun ... I mean real no-finish-left Rory Gallagher stuff ... and it was even made of quite pretty wood under the sparkle ivory finish. Pots are shite ... pickups are 'meh' but the necks usually feel lovely.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I have had two - i currently have an early sunn indian one which tbh plays bloody great - the switch was a bit dodgy and i swapped out the pups for mim strat pups and it made a big difference.
    Its heavy and resonant and ive locked the trem down.
    The neck is nice and glossy - i wouldnt say the frets are jumbo on mine but theyve possibly had work on them - the previous owner had it set up properly and gigged regularly with it.
    It cost me 60 quid and was well worth it - tbh, if it was lost or nicked i'de be gutted seriously.
    My other one is the later chinese type (strat shape headstock with the black print logo) - now, i sold the neck long ago as it was nasty, but the body is as heavy and resonant as my indian one so i've kept that.
    The indian necks are slimmer than these ones and much more comfortable.
    Theres also a later one (chinese?) with a pointy headstock - not sure what these are like.
  • I had one years ago I think I gave it to the school my wife works at.

The thing was pretty heavy but bloody solidly built, you could smash the thing against a wall and the wal would come off worse!
    Old Is Gold
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I had one in '96, it was awesome although terrible!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited February 2014
    This one was HEAVY. All things considered, there might be better ways to spend 85 quid, maybe. ...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• There's one on sale on gumtree locally. SSS and looks like headstock trussrod adjustment but apparently made in India. As usual, the asking price is silly.