What is good about the PRS DGT?

What's Hot
BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
Getting a gas itch to try one of these planks.  I still love my Tele but I'm wondering if a DGT is going to cover Strat(ish), 335 tones.  So, to anyone that's owned or played one......What is so good about them?
No Darling....I've had that ages.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• veldt666veldt666 Frets: 83

My, 2 Cents worth.

They are different / Unique, to any other PRS Model, both in feel & sound.

A, sum of the parts, result, I think, well specked, by DG, from his experience playing some great Vintage guitars.

Go Try some.

I ordered mine with a Solid rosewood neck, as my, McCarty has one, I feel it added to the tone, (Big, Piano like dynamics).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16085
    Look at the PRS Brent Mason -it's a great guitar ......stratty,tele-like and with humbuckers
    Does a better job as a Swiss Army knife than the DGT 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    edited August 2017
    They play great, sound great and are fairly versatile. The coil spit sounds are very usable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited August 2017
    Everything works perfectly gig after gig. Volume controls are judged exactly as most would want them, clean up is impeccable, coil tap is perfect, stays in tune consistently, trem is spot on, does a great immitation of a Gretsch, Les Paul, Strat and Tele plus most are around 8lbs so not heavy buggers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Has single coil and humbucker sounds but doesn't sound exactly like a strat or a 335/LP...BUT comes with PRS flawless build quality, great neck, etc. Great guitars but I wouldn't say it's a strat & LP rolled into one guitar...more of a high quality compromise that gets  into the ballpark of both. 
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Blimey!  No flaws?  Thanks guys......now, who's got one for sale?
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Great guitars, PRS are in general.  I don't really bond with mine, much prefer many other guitars with more vibe, but it's the one I pick up when I need something doing that's important, it just covers all sorts very well indeed
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14195
    tFB Trader
    Tone

It has more of a 'vintage vibe' than many other PRS models regarding the tone, especially the Custom 22/24 - Plus useful coil tap options for Fender-esq voices - Some say the PRS players guitar

All PRS Guitars are well built - most play well but some will prefer a different neck profile to another - But the DGT has more of an old school vibe about it with modern tweaks like the trem, tuners and coil tap option - maybe not the PRS for the hi-gain players, but from Green and Kossoff, or Moore and Bonamassa plus a bit of Brent Mason thrown in, then it is a great guitar

I'm not sure I like the phrase, but there is something more organic about it compared to Custom 22/24 models
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I sold the one in my avatar a few years ago, but if I could only have one electric it would probably be a DGT.  It's very versatile. 

It's got the best coil taps of any guitar I have come across.  Normally coil taps don't sound good but these are actually pretty good.  It doesn't completely nail Strat or Tele tones but it does do good, usable single coil tones.  There might be others but it's only guitar I've played that does good humbucker tones and good single coil tones.

The other thing that set it apart from the other doublecut PRS guitars that I've owned in the past is having a separate volume control for each pickup.  Mixing the volumes is something I do a lot on my Les Paul, and it always frustrates me when there is just a single master volume on a 2 humbucker guitar.

While it's undoubtedly the best all rounder I've owned (more than 20 electric guitars over the years), I'd have to say that for humbuckers I'd still prefer a good Les Paul, SG or semi, and for single coils I still prefer a good Strat.  I think the trem and the longer scale takes away something from the Gibson end of things, and the set mahogany neck means it does quite have the Strat thing either.

Having sold 6 US PRS over the years (the DGT was the last to go), I've recently bought a PRS again for the first time in several years - a satin finished Vela.  I really like it.  Definitely worth trying out. 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/V2PDT5_8N/solid-body-electric-guitars/prs-s2-vela-satin-in-mccarty-tobacco-sunburst-ltd

• The HB sounds, the split-coils, , the frets, the neck profile, the control layout, the weight, the trem, the balance... they're just kinda great!

• DominicDominic Frets: 16085
    They are designed to be played with 11 s .......some people have issues with that
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Dominic said:
    They are designed to be played with 11 s .......some people have issues with that
    They do sound better with 11's but 10's can be slapped on with barely any adjustment and still sounds great.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    It's the best "take one guitar to the gig" guitar I've found and completely killed my GAS.

Can do a reasonable impression of a Les Paul/Strat/Tele and has a trem. Tuning stability is rock solid, they are comfortable to play and not stupidly heavy. 

The only downside is if you have all the classics and play at home then it probably doesn't offer you anything new. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    crunchman said:
    I sold the one in my avatar a few years ago, but if I could only have one electric it would probably be a DGT.  It's very versatile. 

It's got the best coil taps of any guitar I have come across.  Normally coil taps don't sound good but these are actually pretty good.  It doesn't completely nail Strat or Tele tones but it does do good, usable single coil tones.  There might be others but it's only guitar I've played that does good humbucker tones and good single coil tones.

The other thing that set it apart from the other doublecut PRS guitars that I've owned in the past is having a separate volume control for each pickup.  Mixing the volumes is something I do a lot on my Les Paul, and it always frustrates me when there is just a single master volume on a 2 humbucker guitar.

While it's undoubtedly the best all rounder I've owned (more than 20 electric guitars over the years), I'd have to say that for humbuckers I'd still prefer a good Les Paul, SG or semi, and for single coils I still prefer a good Strat.  I think the trem and the longer scale takes away something from the Gibson end of things, and the set mahogany

Having sold 6 US PRS over the years (the DGT was the last to go), I've recently bought a PRS again for the first time in several years - a satin finished Vela.  I really like it.  Definitely worth trying out. 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/V2PDT5_8N/solid-body-electric-guitars/prs-s2-vela-satin-in-mccarty-tobacco-sunburst-ltd

The Vela is indeed a very good guitar. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    it''s price
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I have both the DGT and Brent Mason and whilst both cover similar territory as swiss army do it alls, they both have their differences. The DGT is definately more vintage voiced, think Tele on steroids meets sweet 335. Plenty of honk and spank plus gets big almost LP like sounds. The coil tap is one of the best ive heard and gives those Fender like tones too. The Mason has the 408's and are alot hotter, the coil split and five way give you all those inbeteween Fender sounds the DGT lacks. Both play amazingly well, stay in tune and perform brilliantly, but thats just PRS.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4775
    Dammit, I'm gassing for a DGT now. Great guitar that and I never usually go for PRS guitars, still at least the price keeps me away......

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    It's on my versatile guitar/Superstrat list to try and when they come up used for sale, prices are good
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4775
    Yeah I saw a few on the bay for around £1.5k used, still off my radar for now......... but you never know!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Boromedic said:
    Yeah I saw a few on the bay for around £1.5k used, still off my radar for now......... but you never know!
    Bear in mind the new price is circa £2700 to £3000 so £1500 notes by comparison is a relative steal. I suspect PRS dont turn out many in comparison to the more staple models.