What is good about the PRS DGT?

What's Hot

Comments

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Dominic said:
    They are designed to be played with 11 s .......some people have issues with that

LOL awarded. You can put whatever strings you like on it, PRSi or David Grissom himself are not going to come round and beat you up if you don't use 11's.. Don't tell the PRS police, but I have 10's on mine at the moment :o

Seriously though, the DGT does a great tele/gretsch/strat type thing + a fantastic vintage voiced set of humbuckers, but that's not it - it's got an old-school vibe all of it's own, that's why it has such a huge fan-base. It's not a superstrat, or a tele or a Les Paul, it's a DGT.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    edited August 2017
    I tried 10's ( I have 10's on ALL other guitars) but it just didn't feel right so put 11's back on.

I have two DGT's and as I'm not gigging thinking of selling one, but I really can't decide which one
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4775
    Boromedic said:
    Yeah I saw a few on the bay for around £1.5k used, still off my radar for now......... but you never know!
    Bear in mind the new price is circa £2700 to £3000 so £1500 notes by comparison is a relative steal. I suspect PRS dont turn out many in comparison to the more staple models.
    Yeah that's a pretty substantial discount compared to new, I had a look at the new ones too as I prefer it with the neck binding. The goldtop one on the PRS DGT landing page with the new neck binding looks flipping amazing....

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Looks like I need to play one or two of these.......They seem a bit thin on the ground at the moment.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    The one that is really thin on the ground is the DGT Standard - all mahogany without the maple top.  I'd like to try one of those.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14191
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    The one that is really thin on the ground is the DGT Standard - all mahogany without the maple top.  I'd like to try one of those.
    they made far less and for a short period as well - I've sold both and have a customer who has both
    - Slightly more focused mids on the all mahogany Std model - more 'growl' in the mid/upper mid range with less sparkling highs - difference is more noticeable as an A v B shoot out
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    Agree with most of what's been said, my only reservation being that I think I would actually prefer a single volume control.  Mixing volumes with both pick ups on does produce some great tones, especially with the pickups split: for home or recording use that's great but for gigging I prefer the simplicity of having the overall volume controlled by a single knob.  That's personal preference and it would be an easy mod if it mattered enough.

BTW I've had 2 and played 9s on both with no issues.  Obviously if it's set up for 11s there would be some tweaking to be done.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited August 2017
    Tried one today. Absolute quality and such a positive feeling and sounding guitar.

The neck is superb. Substantial but very comfortable and 11s feel great on it and as a 9.5 gauge player, I had no problem at all bending on them. They feel right for both lead and rhythm.

Sounds, both clean and overdriven are really good and the pickups are superb. It's very versatile too. It's not a Tele, Strat or LP but you get into that territory. To me, on the cleans and coil-tapped sounds, it's more Tele than Strat, but it's not a Tele, if you know what I mean.  I did prefer it on the humbucking sounds and anyone who's owned or played a PRS knows that the volume taper on those things are great and very useable. Here, with 2 volumes to play with, you get a lot of tones and if you're old school and use your volume control, you'll love it.

It's the best humbucking guitar I've played in a long time and as I said in an earlier post, used prices are excellent. If you're getting these second hand between £1300-1600, that's a bloody bargain and IMHO, they surpass a lot of Les Pauls on many fronts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7393
    Just another vote of confidence in the DGT from me - I wouldn't though put it at the top of a 'stuff to try' list if the Stratty part of the requirements is foremost - the splits are indeed way more usable than most other 2 HB guitars but that doesn't make it Stratty imho 

Whenever I think I want another guitar these days I end up asking myself 'will I pick it up in preference to the DGT?' and that's usually that. 

Oh and they look *even* better with dots rather than birds! :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    edited August 2017
    I have a DGT myself and it's bloody lovely, I love the neck, it kind of has a very soft V on the first few frets then rounds out.  With regards to the string gauge, of course you can play any gauge on any guitar within reason but they are set up for 11's and I've not bothered changing the gauge because it sounds great and plays wonderfully with the jumbo frets.  

The only thing is mine is a little bit dinged up now and PRSi don't look too good dinged up but that aside it's a fantastic guitar.
    edited April 2018
    If you watch the 2017 footage of Jamiroquai at the Paleo, fab guitarist, Rob Harris, is using one for the entire concert and normally, he'd be swapping from a Music Man Silhouette HSS, an MIJ Strat and Thinlinw Tele. Looks like it covers everything he needs.

"Cosmic Girl" at 47 mins shows clean sounds and a solo at the end and at 1 hr 19 39 secs.
    The guitar cuts through really well @monquixote - as a DGT owner and funky player, I think you'll appreciate the footage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhCCcW4ESTs

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Nice find, great player and band. Ive seen him demoing PRS for World Guitars but not in Jamiroquai. He seems to play a JV Squier quite a bit too.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7393
    Kebabkid said:
    If you watch the 2017 footage of Jamiroquai at the Paleo, fab guitarist, Rob Harris, is using one for the entire concert and normally, he'd be swapping from a Music Man Silhouette HSS, a MIJ Strat and Tele Thinline. Looks like it covers everything he needs.

"Cosmic Girl" at 47 mins shows clean sounds and a solo at the end.
    The guitar cuts through really well @monquixote - as a DGT owner and funky player, I think you'll appreciate the footage

vid link? 
    Red ones are better. 
    Merci :)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited April 2018
    Bumping this thread as I’ve just bought one.

I’ve always admired PRS guitars - but as a Strat player, I’ve always ended up moving them on. I’d decided I wanted to finally confront my Les Paul fear and just commit to the fact that ‘those’ tones come in a package I find ergonomically challenging. I did a deal to buy one - but unfortunately, it arrived damaged, so it had to be returned.

By chance, the opportunity to acquire a DGT came along as a private sale - so I thought I’d give it a go.

The verdict? Probably the ‘perfect’ humbucking guitar for me. The neck has more than a little ‘Fender’ about it, the full humbucking sounds are the most LP-like I’ve ever heard from a double-cut guitar, the trem’s brilliant - and the tuning stability is exceptional. Add in coil splits that work and it’s hard to imagine a better all-rounder.

I’m so taken with it, that I’ve decided my ‘real’ ‘64 335 is no longer needed. It really is ‘that’ good....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410

I’m so taken with it, that I’ve decided my ‘real’ ‘64 335 is no longer needed. It’s ‘that’ good....
    You know, you're not helping mate!

I keep getting the same itch.  But fortunately I'm only drawn to the Gold Top version, and thankfully there don't seem to be as many of them.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    I do our entire set of covers from funk to rock with a DGT. With a handful of pedals I can do pretty much anything you'd expect from a pub band.

They're not fancy, don't do anything spectacular but they do everything well and some stuff very well. If mine got stolen, I'd get another.

If I were to make any complaints it would be about the slightly odd arrangement of the pickup volume controls which take some getting used to.

They're an excellent working musician's tool.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798

I’m so taken with it, that I’ve decided my ‘real’ ‘64 335 is no longer needed. It’s ‘that’ good....
    You know, you're not helping mate!

I keep getting the same itch.  But fortunately I'm only drawn to the Gold Top version, and thankfully there don't seem to be as many of them.
    Trust me - they’re truly great. Mine has a very subtle top and a very vintagey finish. The surprise to me - having owned a couple of McCartys - is how strong the low-end is - it sounds very Les Paul-like but with the really great dynamics of a 335. Definitely not a doctor/dentist guitar....
  • I enquired about the used goldtop at Peach but it had gone from the website.  Is back again now. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I keep thinking about selling all my guitars and keeping the dgt. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.